News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

The World According to Dick Cheney..... :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Ben-Hur (195x).  Really awesome, but what the heck was the miraculous recovery of Judah's mother and sister at the very end?  NOT IN THE BIBLE.

It did bug me a lot, because prior to that point, yes, God was working, but in subtle ways--providing Judah with an improbable but plausible journey from rich merchant to galley slave to consul's son to living vengeance to broken soul to, finally, a man capable of forgiveness and love and happiness.  Sweet.  But then, for no good reason, magic.  I'd like my Biblical-times epics to stay strictly secularly humanist, thanks.

And it is different from The Ten Commandments.  I Am takes its time, but does show up halfway through The TC, and divine wrath is wrought throughout the remainder of its very long running time.  BH, which is even longer, waits until the last five minutes for the naked hand of God to reveal itself.  And that just doesn't work.  We either needed legitimate miracles earlier, or not at all.  I guess what I'm saying is that the lepers had to just die.

That chariot scene is fucking rad, though, right?  What stunt work, what photography!

I went through this with The Ten Commandments, but guess what else was suitable for general audiences back in the 1950s?  SEVERAL MEN GETTING BRUTALLY TRAMPLED TO DEATH BY FUCKING HORSES.  Additionally, the first shot after the entr'acte is a surprisingly framed vista of a Roman massage parlor, with men working vigorously on the uppermost thighs of other men.  Some may enjoy.  Obviously, of course, there is also a crucifixion or three.  However, there is a lot less rape here than in The TC, i.e. none, and somewhat less horrible slavery, i.e. about 40% vs. 80% of the movie, so overall it's probably slightly more appropriate for the millions of actual children that no doubt saw it at the time.

Heston is amazing as ever, but you didn't need me to tell you that.  To watch him is to love him.  What a man.

A (which means, yes, it is in fact exactly as good as at least one Michael Bay movie)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Seriously? We are reviewing Ben-Hur?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Well, it's like reviewing Jane Austin's books - so old and everything one could say about them was already said.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on April 29, 2013, 03:20:06 AM
Seriously? We are reviewing Ben-Hur?

No one's forcing you to do it, so no idea where this "we" comes from.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on April 29, 2013, 03:46:14 AM
Well, it's like reviewing Jane Austin's books - so old and everything one could say about them was already said.

It's been said but not heard by most people on the forum. I could count the number of books of Austin criticism I've read on a quadriplegic's hands.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Austen and Marti is a twat.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

The vikings season ended with a boring thud. First, the boring Viking religion episode, and then the season finale.

Bleh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

They changed the lead character from a cunning kind of amoral character into some psycho on the edge. I could live with unhistorical content, but the show has lost me when it lost a coherent plot line.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ed Anger

Plus, there needs to be way more insane Floki scenes next season.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Yeah folki is good. Someone's been hitting the sacred shrooms too hard. Liked the sacrificed one too.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Ben-Hur? Hours of watching a fucking movie of The Christ, and then a chariot scene that bores you to tears. WTF. The best scene is the hilarious ship battle. "Full speed! Combat speed! Ramming speed! Warp speed!"
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I've only ever seen the chariot racing scene. We watched it in Latin class.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.