News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Wonderful documentary.

I want to go back to Japan.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

katmai

For all you homos talking breaking bad. A pic sent to me from friend this morning.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

For once I gotta agree with Garbon

Grey Fox

Quote from: katmai on April 12, 2013, 12:50:50 PM
For once I gotta agree with Garbon

Really? The genre is basically your lively hood.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Of all reality shows I've worked on, how many do you think I've watched?

The Brain

Is this a trick question? :hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Wow, Community has really jumped the shark.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2013, 01:57:13 PM
Wow, Community has really jumped the shark.
I dunno.  They've always had strong episodes and weak episodes.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

They haven't had a strong episode during season 4.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

I've been watching the whole Cheers series on Netflix the past couple weeks. I'm in the last season now. My wife commented last night, "Wow, the women on this show are all horrible monsters!".

:huh:

So...

Diane: shallow narcissistic entitled princess

Rebecca: manipulative selfish incompetent gold-digger

Carla: just mean

Maybe she's the most virtuous one.

Lillith: Leaves her family to go on an eat pray love adventure in an eco-bubble with another man.

(That was the episode that brought out the comment.)

I know that show had lots of female writers, so why did they make the women all terrible? The dudes are all highly flawed people too (womanizing, lazy, beer swilling, know-it-all, whathaveyou), but they at least get portrayed as mostly good people despite their flaws. I think Rhea Pearlman's sister is one of the main writers, actually.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 12, 2013, 07:01:03 PM

Lillith: Leaves her family to go on an eat pray love adventure in an eco-bubble with another man.

You forgot Cliff's overbearing mother, Norm's ethereal wife's presence, Carla's daughter and Nick's trophy wife Loretta:  all fine, positive female characters.  :lol:

crazy canuck

I've been watching the whole Cheers series on Netflix the past couple weeks. I'm in the last season now. My wife commented last night, "Wow, the women on this show are all horrible monsters!".

:huh:

So...

(That was the episode that brought out the comment.)

I know that show had lots of female writers, so why did they make the women all terrible? The dudes are all highly flawed people too (womanizing, lazy, beer swilling, know-it-all, whathaveyou), but they at least get portrayed as mostly good people despite their flaws. I think Rhea Pearlman's sister is one of the main writers, actually.

Its been years since I saw an episode but I think its a big stretch to suggest the women were not also flawed good people.  Diane was an air head but she always meant well.  Rebecca was the insecure new boss that also deep down meant well.  Carla was the tough love type but she would always have Sam's back.  Lilith was the only one that really didnt have a redeeming quality.  She was there to give Frazier a need to come in and drink.

CountDeMoney

You guys are probably too young to remember the Mary Tyler Moore Show, but you should check it out;  not only is it hilarious, but I think your wife would appreciate the female characters on that show.  Especially Betty White's.  ;)