News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2013, 07:03:51 PM
Alien3. Very strange.

Strange good, or strange bad?  I say Strange Good.

Queequeg

Both. Replacing Charles Dance with an idiot sabotaged the rest of the movie. I thought he was getting orders from WY.  It's also gorgeous-I love lived-in Sci Fi looks generally but it just looked amazing. Not up to par with Alien or Aliens, but worth watching.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 03, 2013, 07:21:34 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2013, 07:03:51 PM
Alien3. Very strange.

Strange good, or strange bad?  I say Strange Good.
Yeah, I found that I've enjoyed the movie more as the years went on.  That said, killing Newt and Hicks was still bad.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Less Newt, more Charles S. Dutton = Good.

YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW ME LADY

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2013, 08:08:44 PM
Both. Replacing Charles Dance with an idiot sabotaged the rest of the movie.

Yeah, I was a bit miffed he was killed off so quickly.  Charles Dance rocks.

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 03, 2013, 08:29:06 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2013, 08:08:44 PM
Both. Replacing Charles Dance with an idiot sabotaged the rest of the movie.

Yeah, I was a bit miffed he was killed off so quickly.  Charles Dance rocks.
The script already had too much clutter, if you'd have Charles Dance as a real WY agent with conflicted emotions about handing Ripley over it would have strengthened the entire movie.  Also, killing off two (or really three) of the most beloved characters in Sci Fi movie history before the movie even starts was a stupid, cost-saving move.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2013, 08:43:07 PM
Also, killing off two (or really three) of the most beloved characters in Sci Fi movie history before the movie even starts was a stupid, cost-saving move.

I felt it added positively to the pathos and despair of the film.  It needed to be done to break the thematic connection between the shoot-em-up atmosphere of Aliens.

Besides, Michael Biehn wouldn't commit.

Queequeg

Biehn was half-dead so that made more sense.  Starting off the movie by killing the only loved child in the history of action movies or sci fi movies was stupid. 

Sheilbh

My favourite is Alien. Not least because I always felt the ending of Aliens is too positive and upbeat. It's a great action film, but I'm more into horror films so that many people surviving just doesn't sit well.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on April 03, 2013, 09:08:56 PM
Starting off the movie by killing the only loved child in the history of action movies or sci fi movies was stupid.

Really?  Gertie from E.T. got whacked in that shuttle?

garbon

Body of Proof managed to fit both zombies and body snatchers/harvesters in one episode. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Also, having it be Weaver against a single Alien brought it really close to Alien, more or less all the time.  There were some scenes that were clearly references to the original, but a lot of the duct sequences just made me nostalgic for the scene were Tom Skerrit gets abducted.

Also, I really wish they'd incorporated the cocooning from cut scene of the original Alien.  That shit was fucking creepy.  Real shame that isn't canon.