TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 16, 2013, 07:31:06 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 16, 2013, 06:55:09 PM
Watched the new Red Dawn last night. Why did I do that. :bleeding:

Why did they even think a remake was a good idea?  :lol:

A remake of Red Dawn could have been good.

The actual movie however...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

They should make a remake where instead of a foreign foe, the Wolverines are fighting Janet Napolitano's army after the coup.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 16, 2013, 07:35:48 PM
They should make a remake where instead of a foreign foe, the Wolverines are fighting Janet Napolitano's army after the coup.
The Liberal Lamestream Media would never allow it.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

I hope you got want out of it what you wanted.

Ideologue

Quote from: mongers on March 16, 2013, 02:25:38 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 16, 2013, 02:12:07 AM
These old Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies are the shit.  Well, some of them are shit.  The best one I've seen so far might be one with no big names, called "The Three Bops."  It's a musical piece, and is pretty catchy, involving a jazz (or something) version of the story of the Three Little Pigs and their lupine nemesis.  It's fantastic, an A+.  Then it's immediately watered down by another musical piece, that has one awful song, the titular "I Love to Singa," sung repeatedly over and over till the end of time and baryonic matter by a rather poor avian vocalist that I believe we are meant to take as talented, named "Owl Jolson" (yes, I see what they did there).  So you love to singa about the Juna and the moona and the springa? WELL I LOVE TO MURDER.  C, but only because it does have a delightful fat-person-stuck-in-a-trapdoor joke in it.

I'd never realized until now that all of the Marvin the Martian/Bugs Bunny cartoons are practically the same script with new animation.  It's a good script, I guess?  But by the fourth time they meet for the first time, it's less just weird than it is a little tiresome, although the shorts are all individually quite good.  However, the animation and background design are the real draw of the Marvin shorts, and "Hareway to the Stars", with its images of the jagged red runways of a Martian space station and green dehydrated Martian goons burnt right into my childhood, is an A+ just for that alone. However, "Duck Dodgers in the 24th 1/2 Century" is predictably the best of Marvin's appearances, because it stars Daffy and not Bugs.  A+ P.S. That's right, Daffy is better.  Daffy has pain and pathos.  Bugs is an amoral monster whose universe has been designed so that he always gets his way.  See also, Ferris Bueller.

Are those the Looney Tunes golden collections, because I have the first four or five and there's some damn good cartoons in amongst them; edgy character and satire that wouldn't make it into much mainstream cinema at the time. 
I wonder if that's where the tradition of subversiveness in cartoons came from ?

"Platinum," with the attendant horrors of commercial packaging design.  They're all or almost all the same cartoons, only real difference is Blu Ray vs. DVD (and the shorts do look really good on BD, I neglected to say).  I only have vol. 1, but I'm enjoying it immensely, so think I might get vol. 2 whenever, and 3 when it comes out.

There was an extremely good deal for the whole Golden Collection, which had all 300 or so they'd collected, for about $80, though, if anyone's interested in that.  I almost bought that, but didn't want to sacrifice picture quality, and vol. 1 had 80-90% of the specific cartoons I wanted.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2013, 07:33:57 PM

A remake of Red Dawn could have been good.

The actual movie however...

True enough.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

I've just watched the last episode of Being Human. Spoilerific: so they killed the devil which removed their curses....does this go just for them? As surely all supernatural's curses come from the devil....does that mean a bazillion ghosts suddenly became human? 
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Watched "The World According to Dick Cheney" last night.  Not too bad.  Didn't come across as particularly skewering--there have been works on Robert McNamara that were much, much worse--but it did show the man as who he is, in particular the mistakes made during his Veepness and the push for the invasion of Iraq.  But we already knew that.

Admiral Yi

Shoot.  Little Big Man was on and I missed it.

Viking

Because the original had an actual cultural impact in the situation of the uncertainty and fear generated by the cold war. The original was obviously flawed with cubans successfully invading the us.. that was implausible.. but seriously.. the north koreans? I know they originally used the chinese, but changed that when thinking about world box office... but seriously... the dprkians can barely fill a mine shaft with tnt and pretend to have a nuclear explosion.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

REC. A Spanish film that was part zombie apocalypse, part Blair Witch with a Silence of the Lambs ending. Quite good. I hear there's a terrible American version as well.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

They should make a remake with real wolverines.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on March 17, 2013, 07:21:19 AM
REC. A Spanish film that was part zombie apocalypse, part Blair Witch with a Silence of the Lambs ending. Quite good. I hear there's a terrible American version as well.

There are a couple of sequels as well. Syt mentioned it some weeks ago.

Syt

The TV reporter was hot.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2013, 12:22:43 PM
The TV reporter was hot.

yeah, that's the first thing I noticed too.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011