News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on February 07, 2013, 01:09:04 PM
[Rec] has two sequels, in case you're interested. Btw, the guy who plays the monster is a buddy of a friend of mine. Really creepy looking dude with some kind of congenital disease that makes him look weird.

There's also The Others, directed by Alejandro Amenábar, even if it starred Nicole Kidman and was set on the English Channel. Many other films of this kind used American or British casts and settings, so that might have made them slip through your radar. We're sneaky like that. You might want to check Amenábar's two previous films, Thesis and Open your eyes, as they also have some horror elements, even if they're more like thrillers IMO.

Also, I wouldn't say that Acción Mutante is a horror film, it's more of an action-comedy film IMO. I wonder if you got the tons of references to Spanish stuff that Álex de la Iglesia managed to put in there.  :lol: Did you watch his next film, Day of the Beast? It's also a similar action-comedy film, this time based around the coming of the Antichrist.

Haven't seen the [Rec] sequels, as I usually presume that sequels/remakes of successful horror movies suck. ;)

I haven't seen Day of the Beast or the other movies, but I'll check them out. I probably got none of the Spanish reference stuff in Accion Mutante. But then again I grew up with F. Ibanez comics and had a blast with them (German versions of Mortadelo y Filemón, Pepe Gotera y Otilio and 13, Rue del Percebe made it to Germany, with the former having quite a cult following). :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on February 07, 2013, 08:06:34 AM
Ide, out of curiosity, what is in your mind the "Spanish type of horror"? Creepy kids? Dark houses?
Kids. Slight Japanese style of horror in the sense of the past bubbling up into the present. Often quite stylishly made with more emphasis on atmosphere, tension, suspense as opposed to schlock horror, but when it is brutal often pretty unflinching.

For me that's 'Spanish' horror as opposed to Anglo-American style horror films made in Spain (Rec and some of the Hammer style films from the 70s for example).

Also I recommend Mark Gatiss (:wub:) and his documentaries on Anglo-American horror and Horror Europa.

QuoteI was also unaware that Spain made horror movies. 
You should looks some up. They've been a big horror presence the last few years.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 07, 2013, 02:04:31 PM
Haven't seen the [Rec] sequels, as I usually presume that sequels/remakes of successful horror movies suck. ;)
Honourable exception being Romero. Aside from that I think Ring 2 is the only decent horror sequel I've seen. So yeah I'd avoided the Rec sequels too.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Ide, out of curiosity, what is in your mind the "Spanish type of horror"? Creepy kids? Dark houses?

Evidently, being mistaken for Mexicans.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

FunkMonk

Mexicans are superior to Spaniards anyway.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Saw an interesting spanish horror film not long ago on TV. At least I thought it was Spanish. Let's just say it was in Spanish. The title was something like "We Know What We ARe" and it was about a family of cannibals. Very strange..but watchable.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Well, that was mainly a throaway joke about del Toro (who produced Mama, and directed Pan's Labyrinth), and The Orphanage, which are similar movies.  STILL, if I had to defend it--I don't know if what I've observed is particularly Spanish, but it does have a bit of atypicality to it--a focus on children as characters, children's views of the world, and childhood fears (here, being taken from one's parents, even if that parent is a CGI ghost).  Also, less interest in serious gore (Mama's PG-13, I think maybe the Orphanage was?) than in creating an atmosphere of dread, and presenting upsetting imagery that totally counts as body horror, but not in the anatomical, goopy Cronenbergian vein (I could point to a few dozen frames of this movie that sort of made me want to cry :x ).

Anyway, yeah, like Shaun said.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 07, 2013, 02:06:23 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 07, 2013, 02:04:31 PM
Honourable exception being Romero. Aside from that I think Ring 2 is the only decent horror sequel I've seen. So yeah I'd avoided the Rec sequels too.
Romero?  Land of the Dead was great, but Diary was diminishing returns.  Haven't seen the latest. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Anyone else watching The Americans?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

mongers

Quick question, is 'Black Death' with Sean Bean worth 1h30m of my view time ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: Queequeg on February 07, 2013, 07:36:32 PM
Anyone else watching The Americans?

It's on my list. How is it?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on February 07, 2013, 07:35:02 PM
Romero?  Land of the Dead was great, but Diary was diminishing returns.  Haven't seen the latest.
I was thinking of Dawn of the Dead.
Let's bomb Russia!

PRC

Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2013, 07:43:06 PM
Quick question, is 'Black Death' with Sean Bean worth 1h30m of my view time ?

It's all right.