News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

:hug:

Not like that Ideologue.  <_<

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Darth Wagtaros

21 Jump Street was crap. 
PDH!

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2013, 06:26:53 PM
:hug:

Not like that Ideologue.  <_<

WTF did I do?  All my posts about Django were properly redacted.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 10, 2013, 10:09:45 PM
i.e. HOLY SPOILERS Clarice throwing off the shackles of bullshit to join Lecter in a goofy serial killer marriage--fifteen years later, and I still don't know what I think about how Harris ended it).

:P

Then again, I suppose there's a statute of limitations on spoiler tags.

Ideologue

For comparison, The Sixth Sense came out the same year. :P

Looking it up, ran across a fun fact--almost all (with only one exception) of Harris' books have been Hannibal Lecter-related.  Huh, I always thought he was more prolific.  I certainly expected, at least, that there would be a string of unsuccessful novels between Silence of the Lambs in 1988 and returning to the well with Hannibal in 1999, but nope.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2013, 10:22:26 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 10, 2013, 10:09:45 PM
i.e. HOLY SPOILERS Clarice throwing off the shackles of bullshit to join Lecter in a goofy serial killer marriage--fifteen years later, and I still don't know what I think about how Harris ended it).

:P

Then again, I suppose there's a statute of limitations on spoiler tags.

I figure 1-2 years is plenty of time.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

March 13, a 4-disc BD set for Wyler's Ben Hur (1959) and deMille's The Ten Commandments (1956) comes out for $15.  This free advertisement brought to you as a public service, because that's a steal.

Unfortunately, it won't have the 1925 Ben Hur like the 4-disc Ben Hur 50th anniversary set does, nor some (but not none) of the extras available in that collection, but I think the 1925 film is public domain anyway?

So far as I can tell, the two Ben Hur disc appear to simply be the first two discs from the 50th anniversary set, and it'll have all that nice restoration and the original 2.77:1 presentation, which is cool although crazily narrow (n.b. the Ten Commandments is, as it originally was, in 1.85 which is more ideal from an HDTV standpoint).

El Cid, the other Heston epic I grew up on, is meanwhile only available on Region B (or, perhaps, for exorbitant price, on Region A secondhand).  That's pretty lame.

P.S. from the reviews of Ben Hur on Amazon:

QuoteGreat movie. Love Charlton Heston. Arena scene never gets old. Bought it for my nephew for Chrstmas, he loves gladiator/warrior movies.

I'll bet he does at that.

Kinemalogue

Martinus

I read an opinion that since there is no evidence of mandingo fights actually happening, a movie depicting them is tantamount to blood libel. While my gut reaction is to disagree, there is some logic in it. What do you think?

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2013, 04:38:39 AM
So, in my search for other shows to follow, I stumbled upon Shameless (US). The pilot was cool. Views from anyone who has seen both seasons?
Its brilliant. Perhaps even better than the UK one. Has a much more serious and gritty tone. But then my memory of the British one might be tarred by it being long past its prime but refusing to go away.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2013, 10:53:48 PM
For comparison, The Sixth Sense came out the same year. :P

Looking it up, ran across a fun fact--almost all (with only one exception) of Harris' books have been Hannibal Lecter-related.  Huh, I always thought he was more prolific.  I certainly expected, at least, that there would be a string of unsuccessful novels between Silence of the Lambs in 1988 and returning to the well with Hannibal in 1999, but nope.

No, he's not exactly prolific. I keep waiting for new material from him.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

I'd rather see someone less prolific and actually good, than somebody that's more prolific and feeling compelled to read crappy books.

There's good prolific, like Le Carre', and then there's bad prolific, like <insert many writers here>.

But yeah, Harris has certainly taken his time over the years.  Then again, he is in his 70s, so maybe he's done and enjoying life.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2013, 03:11:36 AM
I read an opinion that since there is no evidence of mandingo fights actually happening, a movie depicting them is tantamount to blood libel. While my gut reaction is to disagree, there is some logic in it. What do you think?

I dunno about "mandingo fights" per se, but raising slaves to fight for gambling did in fact happen. The issue as to whether they were (on occasion) to fight to the death is of course a bit hazier, but the bare-knuckle fighting they engaged in was pretty damn brutal, even among non-slaves.

To give a known historical example, a Black slave named Tom Moleneux was raised by his owner to be a fighter (allegedly came from a whole family bred for fighting), won a major slave-fight and earned his owner $100,000 (huge cash those days) and his freedom, came to England and came within an ace of winning the boxing championship of the day (allegedly, he was cheated of the title by blatantly unfair calls). The fights were horribly bloody affairs - they were, allegedly, so mauled that you couldn't distinguish their features.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1338673/200-years-ago-Black-Ajax-Thomas-Molineaux-cheated-British-heavyweight-title.html

I read a book on him once (historical fiction but very well researched - by the same authour who wrote the Flashman novels, and he's generally reliable). According to that at least, some of Tom's fights as a slave - well, his last fight - was to the death. It was unusual in the high stakes involved though.

The book in question is called Black Ajax by G.M. Fraser.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Queequeg

Is the wine-drinking criminal in RoboCop some kind of joke about how it's Detroit and because of 80s racial politics they have make the Detroit crime scene diverse?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."