News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2013, 03:06:06 AM
Here's the account of his capture of Jerusalem. While he was not a saint (especially by modern standards), this beats wholesome slaughter:

QuoteSaladin had captured almost every Crusader city. Jerusalem capitulated to his forces on October 2, 1187, after a siege. When the siege had started, Saladin was unwilling to promise terms of quarter to the Frankish inhabitants of Jerusalem until Balian of Ibelin threatened to kill every Muslim hostage, estimated at 5000, and to destroy Islam's holy shrines of the Dome of the Rock and the al-Aqsa Mosque if quarter was not given. Saladin consulted his council and these terms were accepted. An unusually low ransom for the times (around $50 in modern money) was to be paid for each Frank in the city whether man, woman or child but Saladin, against the wishes of his treasurers, allowed many families who could not afford the ransom to leave.[87][88] Patriarch Heraclius of Jerusalem organised, and contributed to a collection which paid the ransoms for about 18,000 of the poorer citizens, leaving another 15,000 to be enslaved, Saladins brother al-Adil, "asked Saladin for a thousand of them for his own use and then released them on the spot." Most of the foot soldiers were sold into slavery.[89] Upon the capture of Jerusalem, Saladin summoned the Jews and permitted them to resettle in the city.[90] In particular, the residents of Ashkelon, a large Jewish settlement, responded to his request.[91]

Yes, but still, people were enslaved.  That was not put into the movie (nor is Balian's threat to kill every Muslim in Jerusalem) because these are considered bad things these days, even if they were par for the course in 1187.

I think you're conflating my criticism of the movie with a larger historiographical criticism that I've made before, that is that virtually no one of prominence to live prior to ~1945 can be considered entirely or even largely morally praiseworthy, as almost everyone of prominence held some belief or conducted some action that would be abhorrent to us today (and since we are right, or at least far moreso than ever before, we not only can but must look down upon human history, even though we must also seek to understand it on its own terms).

The latter doesn't have much to do with the movie, except Scott seems to share that belief subconsciously, which is why he is attracted to historical reimaginations where there actually were good people living in 2d century Rome and 12th century Israel.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on January 07, 2013, 03:20:54 AM
Ide, did you watch the theatrical release or the (supposedly far superior) director's cut?

Director's.  I've never seen the theatrical cut--what I talk about in my review is from third-hand accounts of it.  It appears that the theatrical release was a rather ugly quasi-movie.

The Wiki page for the movie actually does list all (or most of) the scenes not present in the theatrical cut, and going through them, the only one that could be lost without suffering mild to total narrative failure is the post-climax duel between Balian and Guy, which probably would have been better left out even of the DC, as it adds nothing without Guy's death and further confuses me as to Balian's moral code--although upon close analysis his guiding star appears to be the Eleventh Commandment, "Thou shalt not kill a named character (but extras can be slaughtered with vigor)."

Otherwise, the scenes cut include the scenes establishing the sibling relationships of Balian and Godfrey respectively, practically all of Sibylla's development, and all the scenes with Baldwin V entirely, some of the scenes with Baldwin IV, and the lines of dialogue that establish that Balian knows how to design, build and defeat siege engines, which is surely of no importance whatsoever to the plot.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Ide, I full agree with your point that Saladin was "pretty great" by his contemporary standards, so in order to maintain this narrative in a modern movie, they had to keep him "pretty great" by modern standards. Now, where we differ is that I don't have a particular problem with that, as long as we are talking about an entertainment-focused movie. I wouldn't call it "white-washing" though.

Maladict

Quote from: Ideologue on January 07, 2013, 02:27:18 AM
P.S.  OK, no slavery for the Jerusalemites, that's fine, but where the fuck did that box full of ice come from?  Salah ad-Din's fridge?  Did it come from Circassia with Lawrence?  This has got to be bullshit, right?

No, that apparently happened. Most likely snow carried from a nearby mountain, not an uncommon way of displaying wealth.

Martinus

Quote from: Maladict on January 07, 2013, 04:39:49 AM
P.S.  OK, no slavery for the Jerusalemites, that's fine, but where the fuck did that box full of ice come from?  Salah ad-Din's fridge?  Did it come from Circassia with Lawrence?  This has got to be bullshit, right?

No, that apparently happened. Most likely snow carried from a nearby mountain, not an uncommon way of displaying wealth.

Yeah. Nero (who is credited with inventing ice cream) had snow carried to Rome from the Alps for his feasts.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2013, 08:15:48 PM
Last night I watched Goon, about a young hockey enforcer.  If it was a Canadian production, it's one of the best I've seen.  In other words, a mediocre movie by real world standards.  It couldn't quite decide if it wanted to take hockey goons seriously or not.
I had to check to be sure of the financing, but it is indeed a Canadian movie.
Shot in Winnipeg, directed by a Montrealer, stars a Québécois a a Québécois hockey player.

Best hockey movie since Slapshot :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

I gotta say I really love "Downton Abbey". It reminds me a lot of "Brideshead Revisited".

derspiess

Re-watching The Pacific-- my brother got me the blu-ray box set for Christmas and I had never actually watched the last three episodes when they originally aired. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2013, 03:05:44 PM
I gotta say I really love "Downton Abbey". It reminds me a lot of "Brideshead Revisited".

Isn't Downton Abbey considerably less ghey and catholic than BR?

(not that I've watched DA and it's been years since I've watched(not read) BR).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I thought that Saladin sacked a few towns in his lifetime.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Yes.  But there is a romanticism around him, somewhat like Rommel.
PDH!

Neil

Reservoir Dogs.  Pulp Fiction, for Vincent Vega and in all likelihood Mia Wallace.  Inglorious Basterds, for 1/2 the cast.  And presumably the ladies in Death Proof are spending twenty to life in a TN state pen.
I haven't seen Death Proof.  I'll give you Reservoir Dogs.  Vince was the bad guy in Pulp Fiction.  The Basterds killed the Nazis and won the war, which is a good end.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on January 07, 2013, 05:42:35 PM
I haven't seen Death Proof.

A Kurt Russell role I could totally get behind.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on January 07, 2013, 05:42:35 PM
Reservoir Dogs.  Pulp Fiction, for Vincent Vega and in all likelihood Mia Wallace.  Inglorious Basterds, for 1/2 the cast.  And presumably the ladies in Death Proof are spending twenty to life in a TN state pen.
I haven't seen Death Proof.  I'll give you Reservoir Dogs.  Vince was the bad guy in Pulp Fiction.  The Basterds killed the Nazis and won the war, which is a good end.

Yeah I think that what Ide was missing the point that generally, though it may be a long and bloody path with significant conflicts, good wins the day.  See Jackie Brown, Inglorious Basterds and Kill Bill.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2013, 05:55:29 PM
good wins the day.  See Jackie Brown,

Bail bondsmen never win the day.   :(