TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

lustindarkness

Watched Looper, pretty good.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Death Proof again.  Man oh man, I could watch this every week.  Vanishing Point and Bullitt are supposed to be here on Saturday. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I watched that Battle Royale you nerds kept going on about.

What a suckfest.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I said the first one was pretty good.  I dunno if that counts as "going on about" it.  I think I gave it a B.  Or maybe it was a B+, I forget.  It involves a bunch of kids getting murdered in faintly creative ways.  It's likeable enough.

I hope you didn't watch the second.  It's either number two or number one on the list of worst things I've ever seen.  It's only competition is a movie where the director uses a cardboard box to simulate an MRI machine in the first ten minutes, and you come to realize it's still the best set in the movie.  I'd watch Monster A-Go-Go five times back-to-back rather than watch Battle Royale II again.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

KRonn

I recently saw Looper, pretty good movie, Burce Willis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Emily Blunt. Also saw Premium Rush, with Joe Gordon-Levitt, Michael Shannon, not bad.

Josephus

I just watched a fantastic movie out of Montreal, Monsieur Lazhar. I highly recommend this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2011971/
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Quote from: Ideologue on January 02, 2013, 09:17:38 PM
Death Proof again.  Man oh man, I could watch this every week.  Vanishing Point and Bullitt are supposed to be here on Saturday. :)

Did you notice Zoe Bell in Django?  :perv:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: Habbaku on January 03, 2013, 12:40:00 AM

Did you notice Zoe Bell in Django?  :perv:

Does Zoe Bell gives you: a ship's mast?

I knew she was in it somewhere, but not where until I looked her up--she didn't have a lot to do.  She wears a mask and didn't even get a line.  The weird thing is, there's a scene full of ANZACky nonsense--she could have been put there and then I'd have a good answer for garbon. :hmm:
Kinemalogue

Josquius

Big Trouble in Little China- Haven't seen this since I was a kid. I remember it being decent when I was a kid though not noticing the silliness so much. As an adult....yeah, its good. Screw the plot and build up, which is dull anyway, just straight into the action. I can't help but think though....is it a little racist?

Flash Gordon- Oh how I wish its greatness had been recognised at the time and a sequel had been made. Amazing.

Highlander- What is it with some 80s films that actually make the 80s look cool? Still fantastic. But oh how I wish they hadn't made a sequel.

The Fantastic Mr Fox- Now this thing is painful. Children should not be subjected to it.

And one or two other children's films which were utterly forgettable.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2013, 08:45:52 AM
Big Trouble in Little China- Haven't seen this since I was a kid. I remember it being decent when I was a kid though not noticing the silliness so much. As an adult....yeah, its good. Screw the plot and build up, which is dull anyway, just straight into the action. I can't help but think though....is it a little racist?

Yeah, I thought Kurt Russell's portrayal as an American was a little over the top, too.

QuoteFlash Gordon- Oh how I wish its greatness had been recognised at the time and a sequel had been made. Amazing.

I dunno, it's an OK piece of silly sci-fi, but that's what happens when everybody does as much coke as they did in the late 70s/early 80s.

QuoteHighlander- What is it with some 80s films that actually make the 80s look cool? Still fantastic. But oh how I wish they hadn't made a sequel.

Overrated 80s wankfest for D&D club members that had nothing better to do on a Friday night that Excalibur wasn't on HBO.

QuoteThe Fantastic Mr Fox- Now this thing is painful. Children should not be subjected to it.

It's not a children's movie.

lustindarkness

I got Bullitt yesterday, took about 25 mins to get here. :whistle:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Habbaku

Quote from: Tyr on January 03, 2013, 08:45:52 AM
Highlander- What is it with some 80s films that actually make the 80s look cool? Still fantastic. But oh how I wish they hadn't made a sequel.

The Fantastic Mr Fox- Now this thing is painful. Children should not be subjected to it.

Something is seriously wrong with you.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien