News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: Martinus on January 01, 2013, 01:24:20 PM
Finished watching the Harry Potter series and I gotta say I'm utterly satisfied with it. It is a rare series where each new film is better than the last. I haven't read the books, but it seems like J.K.Rowling has created a story kids can grow up on.

I'm the opposite.  I have seen most of the movies but I haven't seen the last couple; but I'm not a movie guy so I'm not too worried about seeing them

I know the too-cool-for-school kids and literary snobs like to bash on the series but my oldest daughter and I both really enjoyed it (my youngest is really her mother's daughter and doesn't really read at all) and she really did grow up with the books.

I bought the first book for my oldest for Christmas when she was 5 1/2.  She was just starting to read, and I knew she wouldn't read it herself, but I read it to her.  It took a while to finish but we both really liked it.  We rolled straight into the next 2 books, with me reading them to her and enjoyed them as well.  We hit a bump with the 4th book, by then the books had started to get longer and more mature (not themes necessarily, but the writing) and complex and they were much harder to read out loud.  We quit reading that until she was old enough to do so herself.

After we had both finished the 4th book separately we had finally caught up and for the first time we were waiting for the release of the 5th book like everyone else.  She (she was 9 at this point) and I went to a midnight release party for the 5th book.  It was a madhouse and very poorly run but we had fun and got our book and 2 in the morning.  We went to midnight releases of the last 2 books as well.  By the last one she was 13 and I think she stayed up all night reading it and finished it the next afternoon.  I took me until the next day to finish, I was almost excited about getting to the end of the story as her but obviously had more to do and less stamina to pull an all-nighter to read.

The Harry Potter books were a common theme in our lives from the time she was 5 1/2 to 13 and I miss them.  One one hand I don't want Rowling to "sell-out" and starting throwing crap out with the name, but another part of me would really like to be able to share another new Harry Potter adventure with my daughter, even though she is 18 now (or maybe specifically because she is 18 now). 

They weren't masterpieces by any means but they  were very enjoyable to read, told a very good story that got darker and more serious as they went on and they encouraged a lot of kids to read that normally wouldn't have (except my youngest :().

Josquius

something which didn't really work when they were new but is rather cool about them now is the way they line up quite neatly one book to one school year.In terms of the age of the characters, the level of the writing, the plot,etc...
would be quite nice for a kid to read them that way.....though the wait between books would be agony
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

Quote from: Viking on January 01, 2013, 11:02:14 AM
Quote from: Scipio on January 01, 2013, 08:05:23 AM
Warner Premiere's Batman: Year One.  Amazing.  A great, true adaptation of the comic with a great voice cast, including Bryan Cranston as Gordon, and Eliza Dushku as Selina Kyle.

since you're on the DC animated movies binge right now I suggest Batman: Under the Red Hood
Watched that ages ago.  Pretty decent.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Darth Wagtaros

Men in Black III.  Not bad. Light years ahead of the second one.  That was teh sux. 
PDH!

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on January 01, 2013, 01:24:20 PMit seems like J.K.Rowling has created a story kids can grow up on.

Fascinating insight. :huh:

OK. Never mind the sarcasm. But talk to most young adults today (at least in the civilized world) and most of them did indeed grow up on Harry Potter.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Scipio

Quote from: Josephus on January 01, 2013, 05:58:45 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 01, 2013, 01:24:20 PMit seems like J.K.Rowling has created a story kids can grow up on.

Fascinating insight. :huh:

OK. Never mind the sarcasm. But talk to most young adults today (at least in the civilized world) and most of them did indeed grow up on Harry Potter.
I weep for the world.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josephus

Did you know there's actually organized quidditch games and...in typical American fashion...a World Cup featuring only American colleges?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZK38UtKDw
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: sbr on January 01, 2013, 01:53:12 PM
Finished watching the Harry Potter series and I gotta say I'm utterly satisfied with it. It is a rare series where each new film is better than the last. I haven't read the books, but it seems like J.K.Rowling has created a story kids can grow up on.

I'm the opposite.  I have seen most of the movies but I haven't seen the last couple; but I'm not a movie guy so I'm not too worried about seeing them

I know the too-cool-for-school kids and literary snobs like to bash on the series but my oldest daughter and I both really enjoyed it (my youngest is really her mother's daughter and doesn't really read at all) and she really did grow up with the books.

I bought the first book for my oldest for Christmas when she was 5 1/2.  She was just starting to read, and I knew she wouldn't read it herself, but I read it to her.  It took a while to finish but we both really liked it.  We rolled straight into the next 2 books, with me reading them to her and enjoyed them as well.  We hit a bump with the 4th book, by then the books had started to get longer and more mature (not themes necessarily, but the writing) and complex and they were much harder to read out loud.  We quit reading that until she was old enough to do so herself.

After we had both finished the 4th book separately we had finally caught up and for the first time we were waiting for the release of the 5th book like everyone else.  She (she was 9 at this point) and I went to a midnight release party for the 5th book.  It was a madhouse and very poorly run but we had fun and got our book and 2 in the morning.  We went to midnight releases of the last 2 books as well.  By the last one she was 13 and I think she stayed up all night reading it and finished it the next afternoon.  I took me until the next day to finish, I was almost excited about getting to the end of the story as her but obviously had more to do and less stamina to pull an all-nighter to read.

The Harry Potter books were a common theme in our lives from the time she was 5 1/2 to 13 and I miss them.  One one hand I don't want Rowling to "sell-out" and starting throwing crap out with the name, but another part of me would really like to be able to share another new Harry Potter adventure with my daughter, even though she is 18 now (or maybe specifically because she is 18 now). 

They weren't masterpieces by any means but they  were very enjoyable to read, told a very good story that got darker and more serious as they went on and they encouraged a lot of kids to read that normally wouldn't have (except my youngest :().

Hey, excellent story Sbr, once of the nicest parenthood tales I've heard on Languish.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

:hug:

My brother-in-law and my oldest niece have been doing that as well;  they started with him reading the books to her at bedtime, and now, at 9, she's reading them to Dad.  It's been their little Daddy-Daughter thing.

Eddie Teach

Now that I have cable again, I managed to catch up with this past season of Walking Dead. Good stuff.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Watched Life of Pi, in 3D no less. It was very pretty at times, but it was trying too hard to be profound.

Martinus

That's a really cool story. I know how you mean about the series ending, too.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Saw the Hobbit, which was really good.  I feel bad for Martinus.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

So I saw the first episode of Downton Abbey.

Dame Maggie Smith and ghey sex in "Brideshead revisited" style environs = melikey.  :cool:

And the cherry on top is that the hottie from Stardust is kissing another guy in the first episode. What's not to like?