News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Went to the store to buy Office 2010 today. Saw the price tag and instead decided to download OpenOffice again.

Instead I bought the following blu rays:
- Indiana Jones Box
- All Quiet on the Western Front
- Name of the Rose
- Last House on the Left 40th Anniversary Edition

Lawrence of Arabia isn't out yet, will have to order UK version from Amazon.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 03, 2012, 01:36:11 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 03, 2012, 09:30:38 AM
Looker from 1981. A rather pedestrian movie, but it predicts the future pretty well. Also, HOT CHICKS.

on a scale from -99 to 5, I give it a zero.

I'm not even going to bother telling you how much I whacked off to that during Pubertylooza '82.

:lol:

HBO showed it 5 times a day anyways. Home sick? Wack off to HBO.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2012, 01:50:31 PM
Went to the store to buy Office 2010 today. Saw the price tag and instead decided to download OpenOffice again.

Instead I bought the following blu rays:
- Indiana Jones Box
- All Quiet on the Western Front
- Name of the Rose
- Last House on the Left 40th Anniversary Edition

Lawrence of Arabia isn't out yet, will have to order UK version from Amazon.

Real shame there isn't a David Lean BD box set, isn't it? :(

Rewatch Crystal Skull.  I have pronounced it: rehabilitated.

Regarding There Will Be Blood (slightly spoilery, but it's five years old), I was listening to an analysis of it at work, and something struck me that made me like the movie a lot more.  You'll remember the scene where Eli Sunday has forced Daniel Plainview to kneel before him God and beg for forgiveness, particularly for "abandoning [his] son."  There's a moment immediately after this event, after Plainview has risen, where he backs Sunday into a corner and says something inaudible to him--and Sunday looks, to my eye, mightily distressed.  At the time, I just assumed this was another threat, similar to how he told Sunday earlier that he would "bury [him] in the ground."  But maybe it ain't.  Maybe it's Plainview's one moment of humanity in the whole film, and he's thanking Eli Sunday for humiliating him, that is for giving him humility, and reminding him of his big sin, abandoning H.W. (albeit because H.W. was a weird creepy deaf pyro).  Of course, this lasts all of about maybe one week tops, because Daniel Plainview is a sociopathic monster, the abomination that all rich people pretend they are not--and this is no doubt why Eli is surprised.  He would have had to have expected to be told that he was going to get bludgeoned to death with a sporting good.  He would not have expected gratitude, however temporary.

But interpreted this way, this makes a lot of things that happen later make a lot more sense and give them a lot more impact.  A LOT MORE.  Looking forward to watching it again. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grey Fox

/hugs his MSDN sub.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 03, 2012, 03:02:55 PM

/hugs his MSDN sub.

Amazon.com had it on sale for 90 bucks (down from 150) yesterday, so I bought it there. At current exchange rates it's little more than half of what I would have paid here. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2012, 01:33:05 AM

Amazon.com had it on sale for 90 bucks (down from 150) yesterday, so I bought it there. At current exchange rates it's little more than half of what I would have paid here. :P

No VAT by the Austrian customs to pay afterwards?

Syt

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on December 05, 2012, 05:44:44 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2012, 01:33:05 AM

No VAT by the Austrian customs to pay afterwards?

It's a download, so no.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

I have Office Pro 2007, I paid, legally, 12$ for it.

Employer-Employee share liscence program. It's pretty cool.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 05, 2012, 08:23:29 AM
I have Office Pro 2007, I paid, legally, 12$ for it.

Employer-Employee share liscence program. It's pretty cool.

Yeah, that's how I scored Office 2010 and Project 2010.  I think I paid $15 for each.

Admiral Yi

Saw Red Tails.  A very bad movie.  All the really bad lines they put in the trailer turned out to be the best lines in the movie.

Sophie Scholl

Lincoln.  Finally.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  I thought the acting really redeemed some... interesting directorial decisions at points.  I do have to say though, that if that movie had ended with Abe walking down the hallway on his way to Ford's, it would have made for a much, much better ending in my opinion.  I'd reccomend it though.  A heck of a lot better than Warhorse.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

FunkMonk

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 06, 2012, 03:04:04 AM
.  I do have to say though, that if that movie had ended with Abe walking down the hallway on his way to Ford's, it would have made for a much, much better ending in my opinion. 

I thought the same thing. Everyone already knows what happens, Steven.  :rolleyes:

Spielberg is hit or miss. For me, this is almost a miss if not for the performances of the actors, especially Daniel Day-Lewis and Tommy Lee Jones. I'd still recommend it.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 06, 2012, 03:02:52 AM
Saw Red Tails.  A very bad movie.  All the really bad lines they put in the trailer turned out to be the best lines in the movie.

Yeah, that totally sucked, and I turned it off;  it was worse than that god-awful Flyboys that was all CGI a couple years ago. Red Baron wasn't much better either, but at least it tried.

Syt

Tickets are ordered for an undubbed 48 FPS 3D screening of The Hobbit on the 15th. :nerd:
—Stephen Jay Gould