News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on November 22, 2012, 12:33:47 AM
According to you Kubrick's trademark is static shots, so I'm surprised that in your universe Quentin Tarantino isn't famous for silent movies and James Cameron sticks to low-budget relationship dramas.  Then again maybe you've actually seen a Quentin Tarantino movie, so you vaguely know what you're talking about, even if you misremember a lot of things and misinterpret the rest.

LUMPING ME IN WITH TYR WAS A LOW BLOW OK?

You do know what the definition of static is, right?  Generally lacking in motion, movement?  Kind of like your law career?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2012, 12:52:51 AM
Seems sort of unfair to say compare someone to Christopher Walken.  I honestly remember Uma mostly from The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen.  That is a good entrance.

She's boring and anemic, with bony feet.

Syt

Speaking of Tarantino.

Reservoir Dogs is 20 years old.

I feel old.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2012, 06:57:55 AM
Speaking of Tarantino.

Reservoir Dogs is 20 years old.

I feel old.

Pfft.  I remember watching Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory in the theater.  Now that's a big steaming scoop of some old right there.  AND BY GOLLY WE LIKED IT

Syt

It's not about that. It's that it doesn't *feel* old to me. Similar with tv shows and other movies from the 90s. It's a case of:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: katmai on November 22, 2012, 03:56:18 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 22, 2012, 03:52:37 AM
Finally managed to watch Arrow.  Definitely a fun show, and I hope it keeps going for a while.

It is increasing in ratings so that is good sign.

I haven't tried to watch it. Accosting people with large billboards of a shirtless man did not strike me as subtle.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on November 22, 2012, 07:23:39 AM
I haven't tried to watch it. Accosting people with large billboards of a shirtless man did not strike me as subtle.

I pulled a Yi, and watched a partial episode in the middle and made a judgement.  Meh.

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2012, 09:58:46 PM
Quote from: Josephus on November 21, 2012, 09:48:59 PM
And I love Uma, feet and all.

Uma doesn't handle Tarantino's dialogue methodology as well as other actors can; because he's prone to over exposition and borderline stream of consciousness-meets-pop-culture-references, his dialogue is usually unwieldy and overwrought;  it reads better than it delivers. 
Superior actors like Keitel and Walken can handle it with the appropriate tempo and delivery, but Uma has a tendency to make it much more forced than it already is.  She is a lightweight.

Wouldn't kick her out of my bed for that.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Seems sort of unfair to say compare someone to Christopher Walken.  I honestly remember Uma mostly from The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen.  That is a good entrance.

Yup. Never heard of Uma before. Went to see Baron Munchausen and when she appeared all Venus like out of that conch shell, well I discovered true love.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on November 22, 2012, 08:59:08 AM

Yup. Never heard of Uma before. Went to see Baron Munchausen and when she appeared all Venus like out of that conch shell, well I discovered true love.

That's normal, she was 15 in 1988.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 22, 2012, 09:09:08 AM

She was born in 1970, so she was 17 or 18.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2012, 12:13:19 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 22, 2012, 09:09:08 AM

She was born in 1970, so she was 17 or 18.

Yeah. That makes sense. The 15 year old in Baron Munchausen was that Canadian actress, Sarah Polley.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.