And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on November 21, 2012, 09:48:59 PM
And I love Uma, feet and all.

Uma doesn't handle Tarantino's dialogue methodology as well as other actors can; because he's prone to over exposition and borderline stream of consciousness-meets-pop-culture-references, his dialogue is usually unwieldy and overwrought;  it reads better than it delivers. 
Superior actors like Keitel and Walken can handle it with the appropriate tempo and delivery, but Uma has a tendency to make it much more forced than it already is.  She is a lightweight.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 21, 2012, 07:35:40 PM
Kill bill sucks.

Yeah, when a movie ends up so long you have to release it in two parts, you know you got an issue with editing. I found this the least likeable of all Tarantino flicks. And I love Uma, feet and all.

Length is, at least under the four-five hour mark, pretty meaningless unless you own a theater chain, or a movie distributor, and fewer shows per day impact your bottom line.  Taken as a whole, it's only slightly longer than Das Boot, and Das Boot is awesome.  Those two are gonna be my Sunday double feature. :P  Although maybe Inglorious Basterds would be more appropriate. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Chevy chase quit Community.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2012, 09:58:46 PM

Uma doesn't handle Tarantino's dialogue methodology as well as other actors can; because he's prone to over exposition and borderline stream of consciousness-meets-pop-culture-references, his dialogue is usually unwieldy and overwrought;  it reads better than it delivers. 
Superior actors like Keitel and Walken can handle it with the appropriate tempo and delivery, but Uma has a tendency to make it much more forced than it already is.  She is a lightweight.

She was pretty decent in Linklater's Tape, as a believable victim of non-legitmate rape.

I don't remember the Bride having a ton of pop culture references, or long monologues; as I recall, in comparison to most Tarantino characters, she was rather terse.  I thought she acquitted herself well as an action heroine, which does not require finely tuned facial expressions, soulful body language, nor superior elocution, but rather sheer screen presence, and being freakishly large helps too.  Thurman worked.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on November 21, 2012, 10:17:52 PM
I don't remember the Bride having a ton of pop culture references, or long monologues; as I recall, in comparison to most Tarantino characters, she was rather terse.  I thought she acquitted herself well as an action heroine, which does not require finely tuned facial expressions, soulful body language, nor superior elocution, but rather sheer screen presence, and being freakishly large helps too.  Thurman worked.

You're on my Axis list, so everything you say is dismissed.  So solly.

Tonitrus

CountDeMoney

Fate

Norway's had some good movies recently. Watched Oslo, August 31st and Headhunters last weekend.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2012, 10:27:34 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 21, 2012, 10:17:52 PM

You're on my Axis list, so everything you say is dismissed.  So solly.

According to you Kubrick's trademark is static shots, so I'm surprised that in your universe Quentin Tarantino isn't famous for silent movies and James Cameron sticks to low-budget relationship dramas.  Then again maybe you've actually seen a Quentin Tarantino movie, so you vaguely know what you're talking about, even if you misremember a lot of things and misinterpret the rest.

LUMPING ME IN WITH TYR WAS A LOW BLOW OK?

Anyway, instead of Death Proof I watched The Terminator, which I have either never seen, or only saw when I was a kid.  In any event, it was basically a completely fresh viewing and suffice it to say that it's really quite excellent.

The climax of the film, with which I'm sure you're all familiar, features some really creepy and effective stop-motion animation, which I absolutely adore--that scene would not be unnerving at all if this movie had been made a year ago, because it would have been in CGI, shiny and smooth; but the herky-jerky movement of the grainily-composited endoskeleton across the screen could easily give small children nightmares, which is what it's all about.  It's unfortunate, though, that the animatronic Schwarzenegger face that they use for some of the close ups after the T800 loses its eye covering doesn't have nearly the same effect, and it sort of looks like crap.  This is obviously not something I hold against the film or its makers--it was almost thirty years ago--but there you go; and perhaps it would have been more effective if they had shied away from showing that in all its grody glory altogether.  Overall, it's a great-looking film, I'm shocked this was made for six and a half million, even in 1984 dollars, especially with all the set pieces and smashed up cars.

Also, I was wondering how they'd approach the conception of John Connor, and whether it would come off as fake and perfunctory, as a creature of plot convenience.  It really doesn't.  It's a beautiful scene.  And Linda Hamilton, despite the handicap of 80s hair, can't weigh more than 110 pounds.  A+
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 21, 2012, 10:24:57 PM
Ide is a Uma weirdo too

Well, rest assured, I have no special affection for her weird terror bird feet.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 21, 2012, 09:58:46 PM

Seems sort of unfair to say compare someone to Christopher Walken.  I honestly remember Uma mostly from The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen.  That is a good entrance.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

Finally managed to watch Arrow.  Definitely a fun show, and I hope it keeps going for a while.  I like all the little easter eggs thrown in for comics fans that blend right into the actual show.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

katmai

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on November 22, 2012, 03:52:37 AM
Finally managed to watch Arrow.  Definitely a fun show, and I hope it keeps going for a while.

It is increasing in ratings so that is good sign.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Darth Wagtaros

Arrow is good. Though I don't like how thye made Deathstroke the Terminator look.
PDH!