Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 04, 2012, 08:25:10 PM
Temple of Doom is much more in line with the Indiana Jones motif
:x

I disagree with you and so does Senor Spielbergo. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Crusade is my favorite one. There, I said it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

You're all fags, infants and Spielberg nutsack nibblers.

Habbaku

I think Spielberg is probably one of the most over-rated directors of all time.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Neil

Crusade references Raiders, and so is just fine.  CdM would do better if he were to try and fine other ways to attempt to be hardcore.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on September 04, 2012, 10:03:54 PM

Definitely.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 04, 2012, 04:52:44 PM
Quote from: Kleves on September 04, 2012, 11:53:56 AM
Raiders >>>>> Crusade >>> Temple > Skull.  :contract:

This except there should be about ten more between Temple and Skull.

As in not being included in the Indiana Jones boxed set released on Blu-ray.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 04, 2012, 08:18:06 PM
I tire of Glee. I await the day FOX fucks that show over.
You are right to do so.
PDH!

Pedrito

Had a NolanThon this last week, watching Inception and The Prestige and the last Batman movie.

The Dark Knight >> Bane versus Wall Street; the Joker really adds to the second movie, while Bane is a nice villain, but nothing unforgettable
Inception is good, although a bit incoherent in the last part; nice action scenes, excellent filming, good actors;
The Prestige is *very good*: nice story, beautiful steampunkish bits, excellent acting, and David Bowie.

Verdict: I'd fuck Marion Cotillard into the stratosphere, even if she's an idiot who thinks 9/11 was a CIA plot.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 04, 2012, 08:25:10 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on September 04, 2012, 05:04:31 PM
I used to put Last Crusade ahead of ToD like most people, but I think I've reversed them these days.

The Last Crusade more comedic, and more dramatic...but I've really come to appreciate ToD.  I'd say they're about on par.  TLC is just has more in high drama, while ToD is a good, straight-forward adventure flick.

Temple of Doom is much more in line with the Indiana Jones motif:  swashbuckling prewar high adventure, and that's why it works. 
Last Crusade is the series' Superman III:  shoddy bad guys, shoddy plot, shoddy CGI.  And no Richard Pryor.

I really liked Temple of Doom.  Has a whole Gunga Din vibe.  Last Crusade was too much like the first one.  I think Temple of Doom might have been the first one I saw so that may make a difference.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on September 04, 2012, 10:03:54 PM

I could pick a couple of Euro directors that are overrated.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Pedrito on September 05, 2012, 07:26:21 AM
Had a NolanThon this last week, watching Inception and The Prestige and the last Batman movie.

The Dark Knight >> Bane versus Wall Street; the Joker really adds to the second movie, while Bane is a nice villain, but nothing unforgettable
Inception is good, although a bit incoherent in the last part; nice action scenes, excellent filming, good actors;
The Prestige is *very good*: nice story, beautiful steampunkish bits, excellent acting, and David Bowie.

Verdict: I'd fuck Marion Cotillard into the stratosphere, even if she's an idiot who thinks 9/11 was a CIA plot.

L.

Nolans movies are basically

Batman: Year One - Joker as villain of the week - Batman: Knightfall (ignoring the Battle for the Cowl for extra Robin hate)

with a non-Grayson non-Todd non-Drake opening for a non-Robin Robin while[spoiler] leaving a continuity opening for Damian Wayne. [/spoiler]

This is why there will NEVER be a useful Justice League movie. Nolan went out of his way to select his favorite storylines from the batman mythos emphasising the darkness of the character; that means there can be no robin, there can only be batman. Nolan's Batman is a character of emotion, rage and responsibility (the Batman of Batman - The Dark Knight). The Justice League batman is a character of reason and strategy (the Batman of Detective Comics). The third Batman (of Batman and Robin) is a father figure, a guide, mentor and inspiration.

Nolan picked the Batman for the time and he did so very well.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on September 05, 2012, 08:03:40 AM
Nolan went out of his way to select his favorite storylines from the batman mythos emphasising the darkness of the character; that means there can be no robin, there can only be batman.

The earlier series would have done better to exclude Robin as well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?