News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Saw both Yojimbo and Sanjuro on the big screen at the theater last Friday. Loved the experience.

While Toshiro Mifune is of course awesome as the proto-Man With No Name, in both movies I was thoroughly surprised seeing a very young Tatsuya Nakadai - and loved it, especially in Yojimbo as the gun-totting Unosuke.

Ideologue

Three Ernest movies for five bucks!

OMG which one first?  I choose: Goes to Camp.

They should put these back on the big screen.  For the experience.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ideologue on August 20, 2012, 06:50:15 PM

Goes to Jail is my personal favorite.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tonitrus

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 20, 2012, 07:00:16 PM

Saves Christmas.

Tonitrus

Actually, "Dr. Otto and the Riddle of the Gloom Beam".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 20, 2012, 07:04:19 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 20, 2012, 07:00:16 PM

Saves Christmas.

Goes To Jail.  :mad:

Ed Anger

They just showed a commercial for Mundo Fox. Everything looks....cheap. UK TV cheap, maybe worse.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

"Tomorrow, When the War Began"

Plucky Australian teenagers fight a guerrilla war against generic Asian (i.e. ChiComs) invaders who want to grab Oz's resources.

2 "not-quite-Wolverines" out of 5.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2012, 07:12:28 PM
They just showed a commercial for Mundo Fox. Everything looks....cheap. UK TV cheap, maybe worse.

Americano Como Tú
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 21, 2012, 12:25:34 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 20, 2012, 07:12:28 PM

Americano Como Tú

I don't think so.

11B4V

Hunger Games...not too bad.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Gog (1954).  Enjoy a guided tour of some boring ass science city in the desert.  Spoiler: you know the giant vacuum tube monstrosity that is killing the scientists, that you just know in your brain's heart has become sapient and evil and is going to AM all over these dull motherfuckers?  Nah, it was some Soviet agents we never see, in a rocket plane we never see, beaming a signal into the "super brain" that did it.  Because it was built in Switzerland?  This movie sucked.  Oh, and Gog is the name of a robot servitor, not the computer that isn't even the antagonist anyway.  It's defeated with a flamethrower.  Because steel melts when you throw flames at it.  It's pretty pathetic really.  Fuck this shit.  D+

P.S.: did people in the 1950s have a greater tolerance for extended periods of shrill, loud, annoying noise?  There's some parts in this that gave me a headache.

Beast With a Million Eyes (1955).  An alien that jumps from body to body tries to take over people, but is ultimately defeated through the power of love.  Not bad.  C+

Village of the Damned (1960).  You all know this one.  One of the best of its breed.  A  But I liked the 1990 one better.

Explorers (1985).  Starring a young Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix before he became a ghost.  Also--Robert Picardo was the alien?  I've seen this move like twenty times and I just found this out.  Anyway, this isn't the best movie, but from the perspective of craft, I think it may be the most perfect adventure film ever made.  The process of discovery is extraordinarily well done, the Jerry Goldsmith score is sublime and unfortunately underappreciated (as is the whole film), despite focusing almost excusively on child actors the acting is nevertheless top notch, there is almost no fat to the narrative--nothing that does not either reveal character or advance the action, and nothing that is not entertaining--and everything works.  Even the dumb parts.  A+ one billion

It's bizarre and maybe a little sad that the Goonies--with which Explorers has a great deal in common, but is better than--is a piece of ineradicable Americana, while this movie may one day be forgotten.  Not to take anything away from the Goonies, but if I had to choose one, it'd be Explorers.  Without hesitation.

Also, it has Ethan Hawke.  The best Goonies could deliver was Corey Feldman; and I don't even know who the fuck that Mikey kid was, and neither do you.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

The Goonies will be forgotten too. Shit, I watched it a couple months ago and have forgotten most of it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

I really need to stop watching Bar Rescue.

The kitchen:  :yuk:
The bar:  :yuk:
Dead rodents:  :yuk:

citizen k

Quote from: Ideologue on August 25, 2012, 12:13:19 AMThe best ... and I don't even know who the fuck that Mikey kid was, and neither do you.

Samwise Gamgee