And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

M Night:

http://movies.about.com/od/thevillage/a/night072004_3.htm

QuoteI had this "King Kong" idea, which was you come across this group of people who are doing their chores and incorporated in their chores are these rituals to keep them safe from creatures. Then they go back to doing their chores and it's very normal. And it made me very curious about those people. So I had that, and then they offered me "Wuthering Heights" with these two amazing actors to do. Triple-A list actors in both roles. And I read the book again and I was like, "This is the greatest book ever! No to the movie, but I'm going to write my own period piece." And so in a way, I guess I get inspired by books a lot. You know, like if I read a book I go, "Wow, this is kick-ass."

:bleeding: to that and the rest of the interview

"Oh jeez"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

I just realized I must have completely blocked The Happening from my mind.  I was wondering what the movie you were talking about was, so I googled it and only then realized I had seen it.

Pretty attrocious, but put me down for Lady in the Water was worse.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Drakken

M. Night's movies get a bad rep. They gotta cool shape, they got protein.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Drakken

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2012, 11:25:52 AM
Quote from: Drakken on August 08, 2012, 11:24:45 AM
M. Night's movies get a bad rep.

And deservedly so.

I'm not questioning it. He's wrecked the totally cool and awesome premise of plants conspiring to seed pollen that makes people who breath it kill themselves. That should have been a George Romero movie, or even a John Carpenter movie. NOT a M. Night movie.

Josephus

Quote from: Drakken on August 08, 2012, 11:31:01 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2012, 11:25:52 AM
Quote from: Drakken on August 08, 2012, 11:24:45 AM
M. Night's movies get a bad rep.

And deservedly so.

I'm not questioning it. He's wrecked the totally cool and awesome premise of plants conspiring to seed pollen that makes people who breath it kill themselves. That should have been a George Romero movie, or even a John Carpenter movie. NOT a M. Night movie.

Yeah, that's sorta what  I meant with it's not a bad concept but ruined with poor script, direction and acting. In his hands it became sort of a cross between King Kong and Wuthering Heights  :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Scipio

Unbreakable is his best damn movie.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Josquius

Linda Linda Linda- I think I tried to watch this before (and failed). It shoulllldddd be a good film. About a bunch of girls who decide to form a band. Its just ungodly dull though.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

The Guard

Enjoyed this one.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

If that is the Brendan Gleason As Irish Cop & Don Cheadle as FBI guy, then yes it was a fun flick.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

Quote from: katmai on August 08, 2012, 11:07:35 PM
If that is the Brendan Gleason As Irish Cop & Don Cheadle as FBI guy, then yes it was a fun flick.
Yip
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Scipio

My ultimate dream movie cast is any film that would include Brendan Gleeson, Daniel Day Lewis, and Morgan Freeman.  Of course, it would end up being some horrible shitfest of a film, like The Bucket List.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Octavian

The Guard last night... I agree it's fun - 8/10

Watched Hijacked with Randy Couture the other night - 3/10
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee