News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

I watched the first season of Lilyhammer on Netflix.

Basically, a NYC mobster testifies against the mob (Steven van Zandt/Silvio from the Sopranos/guitar player for Bruce Springsteen) and has to go into protection, decides he want to go to Lilyhammer because he thought it was a neat place when he watched the Olympics in the 90s.

Blah blah culture clash

This is the first show Netflix made themselves, I think. It's funny. You need subtitles because everyone speaks Norwegian, and that didn't bother me.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Little Stevie doesn't speak Lutefisk, does he?

Barrister

A great aunt of mine lived 20+ years in Norway (husband worked for an oil co).  She said they never had an opportunity to learn Norwegian because everyone, without exception, would speak english to her.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2012, 03:01:47 PM
Little Stevie doesn't speak Lutefisk, does he?

No. Most of the other people speak English to him too, but it gets to where he's understanding them at times. Netflix put the subtitles in where they are necessary only. It kinda works. All the other characters are bilingual, which I suppose isn't very unrealistic.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Prometheus.

It was allright, was about as good as I expected. Noomi Rapace's character was meh (no attitude compared to Ripley), but Fassbender was great as always.

[spoiler]Somewhat annoying how people acted like retards ("woo let's take our masks off" etc). And how does the pilot end up back in the jockey seat in Alien? I thought they would make him get burst there but noo. OTOH the ship and pilot is described as really old ("fossilized") in Alien so was it another similar ship but much older? Either way I don't get it.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2012, 10:10:45 AM
That's the worst date movie :bleeding:

I saw that on New Year's Day as a third wheel to my now-married friends.  It got the year off to an appropriate start, at least.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Oooh, Red Dawn is on.  Or, as you GOPtards would call it, Obama's 2nd Term.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2012, 01:00:04 AM

But...the only black guy in the film with a speaking role is killed within the first 5 minutes.

At least the military hero is USAF...and Powers Boothe.

"Shoot straight...for once...you Army...pukes."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 02, 2012, 01:03:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2012, 01:00:04 AM

But...the only black guy in the film with a speaking role is killed within the first 5 minutes.

Colonel Bella is Cuban.  And, with a mocha almondy hue, a surprising comparison to You-Know-Who.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2012, 01:07:41 AM
And, with a mocha almondy hue, a surprising comparison to You-Know-Who.

You-Know-Who was actually quite pasty.  :hmm: /teenage nerd
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 02, 2012, 01:12:49 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 02, 2012, 01:07:41 AM
And, with a mocha almondy hue, a surprising comparison to You-Know-Who.

You-Know-Who was actually quite pasty.  :hmm: /teenage nerd

Marxism-Leninism-Maoism-Hey-Moeism has a habit of changing your complexion.  Kinda like the Dark Side.  Nyuk.

Eddie Teach

I meant this guy. He was frequently called "You-Know-Who" because people were too scared to say his name.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Like I fucking watch that teenybopper bullshit.

11B4V

Watching As Good As It Gets. Forgot how fucking good it is.

PARTY! PARTY!...... :lmfao:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 02, 2012, 04:57:02 PM
Watching As Good As It Gets. Forgot how fucking good it is.

When I get that age, I want to be that crazy.