News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on May 07, 2012, 02:57:54 AM
is John Carter worth seeing? Not been to the cinema for ages and am tempted.
It's definitely fun.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 07, 2012, 03:08:42 AM
is John Carter worth seeing? Not been to the cinema for ages and am tempted.
I liked it a lot actually.  It was a fun, summer popcorn flick.  I hadn't read the books prior, and I've only recently begun the omnibus I bought with the first 3 collected together, so I can't say how it compares.  I saw it in the traditional format, not 3D, and thought it was quite good as it was.
Bought? The books are in public domain. I hope you got the one with the sweet Frank Frazetta covers.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: 11B4V on May 07, 2012, 03:01:07 AM
X-Men First Class. Thumbs Up.
I liked it, but it was one of those movies that I don't feel I'll ever want to see again.  I'd kind of like to see what Marvel itself could do with the X-Men and Spiderman franchises, instead of Sony.
PDH!

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 07, 2012, 03:18:33 AM
Bought? The books are in public domain. I hope you got the one with the sweet Frank Frazetta covers.
Yes, bought.  Yes, it was the Frazetta cover.  I prefer the feel of an actual book made of paper in my hands as opposed to reading something off of a computer screen.  Just a personal preference.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Neil

Quote from: Viking on May 07, 2012, 03:01:43 AM
is John Carter worth seeing? Not been to the cinema from ages and am tempted.
The only thing that makes it watchable is knowing the plot in the book and re-cutting the movie in your own head filling in all the gaps, removing all the shit that fucks up the plot. If they had only stayed true to A Princess of Mars then they might have had a chance.
Bullshit.  It was a great summer movie, and people who didn't hate it are either purists who have no business watching adaptations of other works or the kinds of assholes who hated Star Wars in 1977.  It was an adventure film of the first order.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on May 07, 2012, 03:39:20 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 07, 2012, 03:01:43 AM
is John Carter worth seeing? Not been to the cinema from ages and am tempted.
The only thing that makes it watchable is knowing the plot in the book and re-cutting the movie in your own head filling in all the gaps, removing all the shit that fucks up the plot. If they had only stayed true to A Princess of Mars then they might have had a chance.
Bullshit.  It was a great summer movie, and people who didn't hate it are either purists who have no business watching adaptations of other works or the kinds of assholes who hated Star Wars in 1977.  It was an adventure film of the first order.

I will have to watch it and decide, as you are both foreigners, and have shit for taste.

viper37

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2012, 03:46:08 PM

I will have to watch it and decide, as you are both foreigners, and have shit for taste.
Though Viking is on your list while Neil is.  That alone should tell you who to trust :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on May 07, 2012, 04:21:14 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 07, 2012, 03:46:08 PM

Though Viking is on your list while Neil is.  That alone should tell you who to trust :P

Axis of Anime is merely a sub-set of Seedy's list of enemies.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Habbaku

The Avengers was a pretty fun and incredibly funny movie, overall.  I have some annoyance with the casting decisions, but the movie works, as a whole.

8.5 Hulk Punching Teammates out of 10.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2012, 07:23:04 PM
The Avengers was a pretty fun and incredibly funny movie, overall.  I have some annoyance with the casting decisions, but the movie works, as a whole.

Hulk was the best. both in hulk and banner form.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

I have some annoyance with the casting decisions,

Curious as what they may be.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

I hope it was Scarlett.  That would get me hard.

Habbaku

Quote from: katmai on May 08, 2012, 07:27:52 PM
I have some annoyance with the casting decisions,

Curious as what they may be.

Scarlett Johannson as BW and Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury.  The former was little more than a pretty face for the majority of the film.  She had little background developed, little reason for me to care about her character and probably the least funny dialogue of the funny dialogue.  Then there's the bit where she mutters a hopeful line about [spoiler]Stark escaping from the big wormhole-dealie[/spoiler] which seems utterly out-of-character, though I chalk that to writing rather than her.  I am not complaining that they got a hot actress, just that they got this particular hot actress.

SJ as Fury just didn't do it for me, at various points.  He didn't really have that high-command gravitas except for the scenes when he was dealing with the council.  He grew on me as the movie progressed, but the earlier scenes had me wondering why everyone would take orders from a guy who just seemed gruff and mavericky.  More characterization could fix that, I suppose, but what's there was pretty meh.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2012, 09:56:12 PM

The scene where she's tied up in the chair should've ended in Russian-Roulette-Bukkake.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on May 08, 2012, 10:14:21 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2012, 09:56:12 PM

The scene where she's tied up in the chair should've ended in Russian-Roulette-Bukkake.

OH FUCK DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THAT SEEING IT TOMORROW