News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Everybody at work is doing that annoying Hunger Games whistle. I'm going to start cutting peoples lips off here soon.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Berkut

Why all the hate? It was a excellent book and a solid movie. I was actually surprised by how much they did NOT dumb it down or make it more "Hollywood".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jaron

It was a mediocre movie at BEST. Manufactured crap to keep the teen money machine going now that Twilight is about to be a done deal.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Berkut

Quote from: Jaron on April 15, 2012, 11:04:27 PM
It was a mediocre movie at BEST. Manufactured crap to keep the teen money machine going now that Twilight is about to be a done deal.

Wow, that is some serious dumb right there.

Twilight was crap in written form, and crap in movie form. Or not even crap, really - it did a great job of being exactly what it's author wanted it to be, which was adolescent girl bubble gum.

Hunger Games was a very well done book, and not at all written for the adolescent teenie bopper in mind, in general its appeal has been more to boys in fact than girls.

The movie reflects the book very well, in both plot, characterization, and overall tone.

0 rows returned

Neil

No dice.  If the characters have stupid fucking names, it's crap.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2012, 11:29:17 PM
in general its appeal has been more to boys in fact than girls.

That doesn't make it objectively better. Well...  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2012, 10:49:57 PM
Quote from: Scipio on April 15, 2012, 01:58:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2012, 01:39:37 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 15, 2012, 12:32:18 PM
Okay.  Least able to survive a feature film despite REPEATED TOE-CURLINGLY AWFUL attempts. 

I'd curl her toes.  Woof.
Greek wimmins is crazy.  Greek American Princesses are worst of all.

I would put up with an ungodly, unbelievable amount of bullshit for Jennifer Aniston.

Indeed, a HOTT (M)ILF and that she has millions of dollars?  I could summon up the patience.

Josquius

With the lady person I watched Superbad for the first time in yonks. It is rather good.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Superbad was good. It could have been a bit shorter though.

I think HUnger Games' appeal is that it combines chic lit with the ultra violence, thus having mass appeal. 
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Watched a bit of Money Ball the other night.  Kind of a snoozer if you ask me.

Josquius

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 16, 2012, 07:32:10 AM
Superbad was good. It could have been a bit shorter though.
Agreed. It did drag a bit.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Dollhouse. Excellent concept and story, decent execution. Worth a watch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 16, 2012, 12:11:06 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2012, 11:29:17 PM
in general its appeal has been more to boys in fact than girls.

That doesn't make it objectively better. Well...  :hmm:

NO, it doesn't - but it does make it pretty obviously not a "Twilight" type of endeavor, where the primary meme is teen-age girl boy crushing.

0 rows returned

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Leaving aside Berk's fondness for YA books...

Girls

Seems like Sex and the City turned on its head and forced to confront the Lower East Side / Brooklyn. Only making the Sex and the City reference as the first episode makes one itself. But yeah seems interested in portraying the less glamorous New York life of the 20-something who can't afford nice things.  Will have to see how it develops.  Not sure if it'll have mass appeal as once quipped "if you aren't wearing something the kids can't afford, how will they know to look up to you."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.