News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2012, 07:57:45 AM
Watched part of Bad Bosses last night.  I think this flick bombed on the big screen so I was expecting crap, but there was quite a bit of humor in there.

Police interrogation room:

"The automatic camera took your picture while you were fleeing the site of a murder and running a red light."

"I was drag racing.  I'm a drag racer."

"In a Prius?"

"I don't win a lot."

That movie needed MORE balding and belly-fat Colin Farrell. They let down on Jennifer Aniston's character, though, but because rape on male by female (even when they are drugged and unconscious on a dentist chair) is cute and funny, she got off lightly. They should have made her like Demi Moore's character in Disclosure, who was a dangerous douche aside of being a maneater.

God Jason Sudeikis's character was annoying, though.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 15, 2012, 07:57:45 AM
Watched part of Bad Bosses last night.  I think this flick bombed on the big screen so I was expecting crap, but there was quite a bit of humor in there.

Assuming you mean Horrible Bosses, no, that movie didn't bomb at all; it made quite a large profit.  I thought it was pretty good, too.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Drakken on April 15, 2012, 10:29:14 AM
They let down on Jennifer Aniston's character
They did cast Jennifer Aniston, the least talented friend, so that has to be expected.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I watched the Rifftrax of Breaking Dawn (Part fucking One :lol: ) the other day.

The first hour is actually worse than the first film*; literally one thing happens during it (they get married).  I think the actual wedding scene itself is a half hour long.  Then it gets weird and stupid and still bad, but better, and there's no reason that first hour couldn't have been, oh, about ten minutes.

One gets the suspicion that everyone in the movie knows the movie is awful and hilarious (especially the gay Italian vampires, who are always a pleasure given that they're doing the best 19th century poof routine ever captured).  The Rifftrax is delightful, of course, the best one since the first (correlation?).  Finally, Ashley Greene is still the hottest white person to ever be photographed.

*Except this one is far better directed.  That's a really low bar, because the first one is truly inept on every level, but Breaking Dawn (Part !!!11oneone) isn't so much poorly directed and shot, as it is poorly written (obviously), and on top of that clearly the result of someone saying "make this book four hours long, no matter what it takes."  I feel bad for whoever did direct, because he or she isn't terrible, and does some interesting and fun things with their shots even though it's clear they didn't need to do anything other than make sure the camera was working in order to get the studio its filthy luchre.  They want to be working on a real movie!  But God handed them the goofiest, grodiest Twilight script of them all.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 15, 2012, 12:21:34 PM
They did cast Jennifer Aniston, the least talented friend, so that has to be expected.

It's silly to rank them.  They're all great in their own ways, even if none are, or should be, feature film players.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Drakken

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2012, 12:23:44 PM
I watched the Rifftrax of Breaking Dawn (Part fucking One :lol: ) the other day.

You should watch Spoony breaking down while he reviewed that movie. It's priceless. He actually started to drink spirits in front of the camera and got himself into a 1h30 drunken rant, so much the movie was bad.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2012, 12:25:17 PM
It's silly to rank them.  They're all great in their own ways, even if none are, or should be, feature film players.
Okay.  Least able to survive a feature film despite REPEATED TOE-CURLINGLY AWFUL attempts.  I've watched Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion and that is so much better than the torrent of shit Aniston's been in.

It takes effort for a film to fail to live up to that poster.
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Aniston's films have made quite a bit more money than any of the others.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 15, 2012, 12:37:46 PM
Aniston's films have made quite a bit more money than any of the others.
But if that were to mean anything then James Cameron would be the greatest director of all time :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Drakken on April 15, 2012, 12:31:32 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2012, 12:23:44 PM

You should watch Spoony's "Breaking Down" when he reviewed that movie. It's priceless. He actually got himself drunk into a 1h30 drunken rant so much the movie was bad.

Oh, I watched that; Spoony's probably my favorite Internet review dude, and his Twilight reviews are some of the highlights of his show.  Although that particular one is sort of painful yet interesting to watch because I think he stopped acting about ten minutes into it and really did get drunk, and I think he spends about fifteen minutes talking about how his life fell the fuck apart last year, which extra sucks on account of him being a tremendously talented young man.

For some reason I relate. :P

It did explain why he basically falls off the face of the planet in the month(s) he tends to go between videos.  I want to think he finally went to a damned doctor and got on an SSRI regimen or something, which is good.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 15, 2012, 12:32:18 PM
Okay.  Least able to survive a feature film despite REPEATED TOE-CURLINGLY AWFUL attempts. 

I'd curl her toes.  Woof.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on April 15, 2012, 12:25:17 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 15, 2012, 12:21:34 PM

Kudrow is a good supporting actress.  Schwimmer is talented, even though the only roles he tended to do were Rossish.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2012, 01:39:37 PM
Okay.  Least able to survive a feature film despite REPEATED TOE-CURLINGLY AWFUL attempts. 

Greek wimmins is crazy.  Greek American Princesses are worst of all.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on April 15, 2012, 01:58:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2012, 01:39:37 PM

Greek wimmins is crazy.  Greek American Princesses are worst of all.

I would put up with an ungodly, unbelievable amount of bullshit for Jennifer Aniston.

CountDeMoney

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

QuoteThe blockbuster movie "The Hunger Games" dominated box office charts for the fourth weekend in a row, outselling three new releases at U.S. and Canadian theaters.

The Lions Gate Entertainment Corp drama about a televised teen death match brought in $21.5 million at domestic theaters from Friday through Sunday, according to studio estimates compiled by Reuters.

The ongoing appetite for "Hunger Games" left three newcomers trailing. "The Three Stooges," featuring an updated cast of finger-poking stars, beat industry expectations to land in second place. The horror film "The Cabin in the Woods" finished third.

The last movie to win four straight weekends was "Avatar," the highest-grossing film of all time, according to Hollywood.com. That film, released by Fox, went on to generate $760 million in domestic sales.

Since "Hunger Games" hit theaters March 23, the movie has racked up $337 million in North American (U.S. and Canadian) ticket sales. That places it 22nd all-time in ticket sales, just behind Walt Disney Co.'s "Finding Nemo," according to the site Box Office Mojo.

The film has also added $194 million from international markets, according to Lions Gate, for a global total of $531 million.

"There's nothing old about finishing No. 1," said Richie Fay, Lions Gate president of distribution. "We're just happy to be able to look over our shoulders and see how well we've done."

Horror movie "The Cabin in the Woods," also from Lions Gate, rung up $14.8 million in domestic theaters. Industry forecasters had projected "Cabin" would debut with at least $13 million domestically.

The movie picked up steam over the weekend, adding 3 percent from Friday to Monday, said Fay, unusual for a horror flick and points to good word of mouth. The film generated surprisingly good reviews from critics, which helped sell the film to an over 25-year-old audience that doesn't generally go for creepy movies.

"The Three Stooges," an effort to bring the goofy comic trio to a new generation, pulled in $17.1 million for second place. The eye-poking act started as vaudeville comedy in 1930 and enjoyed its greatest popularity in through 1946, according to the online site Wikipedia.

In the current movie, this slapstick trio Larry, Curly and Moe stumble into a murder plot and star in a reality television show.

Fox spent about $35 million to produce the film and had projected opening weekend sales of around $10 million. Box office prognosticator had projected it would do $15 million.

"The Three Stooges" drew more than 52 percent of its audience from movie under the age of 25, said Chris Aronson, Fox's executive vice president for domestic distribution. That could point to a lengthy run in theaters, he said.

The comedy sequel "American Reunion" grossed $10.6 million, giving Comcast Universal Pictures a second film in the top ten. Its animated film "Dr. Deuss' The Loral," was tenth for the weekend with $3 million, adding to a total of $204 million so far this year.

"People said you could get more if we released them in the Summer, said Universal president of distribution Nikki Rocco. "but look at the summer lineup."

The summer will be filled with blockbusters in waiting, including sequels to "Men in Black" and "Spider-Man," and another installment of the Batman "Dark Knight" series.

The other new nationwide release, sci-fi thriller "Lockout," landed in tenth place with nearly $6.3 million at domestic theaters. The film tells the story of a man who tries to rescue the president's daughter from an outer space prison. The movie played in about 2,300 U.S. and Canadian theaters, compared with more than 3,900 for "Hunger Games."

Also this weekend, big-budget action movie "Battleship" opened in 26 overseas markets starting Wednesday. The film pulled in $58 million in offshore markets, according to distributor Universal Pictures.

News Corp's 20th Century Fox studio distributed "Three Stooges." "American Reunion" and "Battleship" were released by Comcast Corp's Universal Pictures. Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc, distributed "Titanic 3D" in domestic theaters.

Open Road Films, a joint venture between theater owners Regal Entertainment Group and AMC Entertainment Inc, distributed "Lockout." The movie was produced by independent studio Film District.