News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

Finally watched Tarantino's Jackie Brown and enjoyed it a lot.   And it's great to hear the Philly soul of the Delfonics in a major motion picture.  :cool:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Octavian

Tower Heist

It was okay. Eddie Murphy stole the show.

7/10
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Liep

Just watched the latest Community, Pillows And Blankets, and wow. It was like being back in 7th grade history, only awesome.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

Quote from: Liep on April 07, 2012, 07:41:21 AM
Just watched the latest Community, Pillows And Blankets, and wow. It was like being back in 7th grade history, only awesome.

your 7th grade teacher did history class by showing ken burns' documentaries?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Liep

Quote from: Viking on April 07, 2012, 08:19:59 AM
your 7th grade teacher did history class by showing ken burns' documentaries?
That might be who they had in mind, but plenty of documentaries have been made in the same style. I don't really know who made those we saw, but that VHS player was abused.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

For all you fans of that pretentious ass clown:

QuoteDavid Simon apologizes for 'amused contempt' of 'Wire' fans

Fans of "The Wire" were taken aback to read that creator David Simon is sort of tired of their rah-rah, late-to-the-game enthusiasm.

Simon on Thursday told the New York Times:

I do have a certain amused contempt for the number of people who walk sideways into the thing and act like they were there all along. It's selling more DVDs now than when it was on the air. But I'm indifferent to who thinks Omar is really cool now, or that this is the best scene or this is the best season. It was conceived of as a whole, and we did it as a whole. For people to be picking it apart now like it's a deck of cards or like they were there the whole time or they understood it the whole time—it's wearying. Because no one was there in the beginning, or the middle, or even at the end. Our numbers continued to decline from Season 2 on.

Amused contempt? Wearying? The show's many fans were NOT happy.

AVClub.com's headline was: David Simon is tired of your love for The Wire.

Vulture put it like this: "Reading the cranky, pretention, fan-dismissing interview with The Wire's David Simon on the New York Times' ArtsBeat blog today, we were reminded of every gasbag indie-rock-obsessed hipster who ever snorted at the mainstreaming of one of their most beloved underground bands."

The Atlantic Wire saw it like this: "he goes and says something along the lines of 'Don't talk about this like you get it, only I get it, and you're annoying even if you're an adoring fan.' "

In an interview today with Hitfix.com Simon wanted to clarify his remarks:

Let me say this: my apologies to anyone for saying, or trying to say, "You're not cool if you didn't get to 'The Wire' early, and I only want you to watch the show on my terms." What I was saying is "The Wire" has been off the air for 4 years now. That it would be celebrated with things like who's cooler, Omar or Stringer, at this late date, and that the ideas of the show would be given short shrift, those were the target of my comments. And through a miscommunication — probably my fault, I have no way of knowing — I have apparently told everybody that I don't want the show watched except on Sunday night at 10 o'clock, which apparently is the exact opposite of things I've been saying in interviews for years. It is contradictory of everything I've said before. I'm reading it in the paper and I'm not making sense to myself. Sorry. My bad.

Vulture summed up Simon's clarification with this headline: David Simon Semi-Apologizes for Obnoxious Times Interview

So, um, if you were thinking of doing a who's cooler bracket, go ahead and assume Simon won't be playing. And that includes you, President Obama, though we know you'd vote for Omar.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Watched Kubrick's Barry Lindon. 3 hours that could be nicely edited into two. Kinda went on a bit too much. still, not too many movies set in the 7 years War.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

St Trinian's.  Far better than I was expecting.  Genuinely funny and a rather smart updating of the originals. 
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Liep on April 07, 2012, 07:41:21 AM

Leonard: "Veteran, Korean War (North Korean Army)   :lol: :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

That and Pierce's Doomsday weapon.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 07, 2012, 06:06:23 PM
That and Pierce's Doomsday weapon.

Plenty of room in the groin.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

They better stick to the rock hard facts and not massage the data.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi