News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Watched a bit of Fair Game last night, the movie about Valerie Plame, Whatshisface, and yellowcake.

Assuming it's factual, two things I picked up.  The one undercover mission they show Plame (played by Naomi Watts-yum) conducting is she travels to Egypt to meet with an exile Iraqi nuclear scientist while pretending to be an American nuclear academic.  If that's the extent of it, then the "life in danger" narrative doesn't look very strong but the "unable to perform her duties" part of the narrative holds up.

The second is we see Ambassador Whatshisname (played by Sean Penn) going through the steps of proving a sale of yellowcake on the scale alleged (500 tons) did not take place.  But we don't see him disproving an *attempt* by Iraq to purchase yellowcake, which is what Bush refers to in his infamous State of the Union.  Maybe Ambassador W. made that seperate argument in the latter part of the movie and/or in his NYT op-ed.

Octavian

Quote from: Liep on April 02, 2012, 10:51:37 AM
A-Klassen, lovely Danish satire like DR used to make them. Looking forward to episode 2!

Heh funny...thanks for the link!

Laura Christensen er rimelig sprød!
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

BFI has released Ken Russell's iconic 'The Devils' on dvd:
http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/143
not the 'directors cut' but the original UK X rate 111 min release, which appears to be the nearest anyones going to get to the directors 'original vision'
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Drakken

Quote from: mongers on April 02, 2012, 07:00:43 PM

BFI has released Ken Russell's iconic 'The Devils' on dvd:
http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/143
not the 'directors cut' but the original UK X rate 111 min release, which appears to be the nearest anyones going to get to the directors 'original vision'

Now if they could pull their head out of their collective asses and release "The Devil's Crown" in DVD as well, I will be content.

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on April 02, 2012, 06:47:09 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 02, 2012, 05:24:24 PM
Nice article on Spartacus:
http://languish.org/forums/index.php

think you got the wrong link. :D
fuck that.
I lost the link, but here's another with similar info.  Spoiler heavy if you haven't seen the episode yet:
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Spartacus-Finale-Postmortem-Lucretia-1045552.aspx
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

2 hour premiere of Season 2 of The Killing from Sunday night:

Woof.

Richmond is FUBAR'd, Linden is in panic mode, Holder is trying to get himself out of his box, Stan is getting mobbed back up, and the level of dirt is climbing up the political ladder.  Gonna get nasty.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 04, 2012, 05:47:33 AM
2 hour premiere of Season 2 of The Killing from Sunday night:

Woof.

Richmond is FUBAR'd, Linden is in panic mode, Holder is trying to get himself out of his box, Stan is getting mobbed back up, and the level of dirt is climbing up the political ladder.  Gonna get nasty.

They had the real Sarah Lund - Sofie Gråbøl - on the show as a lawyer.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Liep

So I'm watching the Crimson Tide and oh dear lord is it sweaty. Every cast member has several drops of sweat on their faces, but no one sweats on their backs, apparently.

I'm thinking this might be on the top 10 of sweatist movies ever. Alien is up there on top, together with 12 angry men. Any other?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Bridesmaids.  The trailers made it seem this movie was a straight comedy, but it's more a combination dark comedy/romcom/chick flick.

Somewhere between OK and meh.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Liep on April 04, 2012, 02:22:40 PM
So I'm watching the Crimson Tide and oh dear lord is it sweaty. Every cast member has several drops of sweat on their faces, but no one sweats on their backs, apparently.

I'm thinking this might be on the top 10 of sweatist movies ever. Alien is up there on top, together with 12 angry men. Any other?

Travolta.  Curtis.  Leg warmers. Perfect.

Josephus

I think Travolta's got wood in that pic.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011