News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on February 28, 2012, 10:46:44 AM
Since the source material is supposedly quite good, I blame poor acting skills.
I think the problem is they are departing from the source material, so the problem lies with poor writing.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

I don't think the source material is that rated.  All the comic geeks I know say the first set (or whatever) is great but after that not very good.  They're all happy the show's departed from it.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on February 28, 2012, 11:03:44 AM
I think the problem is they are departing from the source material, so the problem lies with poor writing.

I don't see how they could have stuck faithfully to the comic book series.  From what I've seen about the comic, it seems the comic suffers from that which comics often suffer from - overblown plots that wouldn't really be that believable in other media.  Sort of like how the Watchmen movie dropped the giant squid that would have felt like a wtf in an acted script.

And then there is just odd stuff like a character proposing a three way marriage. Really?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2012, 11:12:19 AM
And then there is just odd stuff like a character proposing a three way marriage. Really?

?
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Gross, I voted for a furry.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

What happened to that elephant's neck? :o
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 28, 2012, 11:16:41 AM
?

While he might like to, Gingrich doesn't currently reside in a land overrun with zombies.  Besides I can see, wanna have a three way in such a scenario, but a three way marriage?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2012, 11:38:08 AM
While he might like to, Gingrich doesn't currently reside in a land overrun with zombies.
I think you've missed this year's primary :P

I just love that picture :blush:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 28, 2012, 11:43:20 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 28, 2012, 11:38:08 AM
While he might like to, Gingrich doesn't currently reside in a land overrun with zombies.
I think you've missed this year's primary :P

Funny!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on February 28, 2012, 11:02:44 AM

You must be watching a diff zombie show. Havent noticed bad acting in Walking Dead.

Remember, Zoup's French.  Life ees sheet.

HVC

The younger suicidal sister would count, but she's not a main and so passes. Aslo, if it possible, she over acts with her browline. it was distracting lol
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

I've watched the first few episodes of Grimm.
Its....alright you know. Its not terrible....but....you can just feel the sheer cheapness and childishness. Its so...by the book. It is almost background TV.
One thing I don't get about it.....how come all these supernatural cases suddenly show up for the guy after he learns of his powers? Bloody coincidental is that....
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Just finished watching the pilot episode of Awake on Hulu. The show doesn't actually premiere until tomorrow night (March 1st), but they gave a full preview of it ahead of time.

The basic situation is that a detective (Jason Isaacs--Lucius Malfoy, Colonel Tavington) gets into a car wreck with both his wife and son as passengers. He awakens from the wreck to find one of them dead and the other alive and proceeds with his life. The only trouble? Every time he goes to sleep, he wakes up with the deceased/living reversed.

In addition to the topsy-turvy situations that's creating with the psychiatrists he's being forced to go to in each reality, he also has different partners and different cases...only, information from a case in one world is starting to bleed over in small ways into the other.

I thought it was excellent for a pilot and can only hope that the rest of the season holds up to the standard.

Amusingly, the first episode is directed by the same guy that directed one of the Twilight movies. Wut.

Fortunately, the showrunner is none other than Howard Gordon--one of the main writers/showrunners of Homeland.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

Saw Lawrence of Arabia on TMC tonight.  TMC being TMC, they left the musical interlude and the entre 'e acte in.

Scipio

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 29, 2012, 05:32:40 AM
Saw Lawrence of Arabia on TMC tonight.  TMC being TMC, they left the musical interlude and the entre 'e acte in.

Best.  Movie.  Ever.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt