News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

As much as a I am a fan of the ol' wheelgun--and still believe all police officers should carry revolvers instead of semi-automatic bathroom sink obliterators--there's no way in holy hell I'd be walking around with speed loaders during the Zombiepocalypse like Rick does with that Python.

Razgovory

Watching Alien again.  Something that struck me as odd.  Why does Ripley need to activate a self-destruct.  Can't she just leave the ship without blowing it up?  Also, why does the self-destruct button also turn on the fog machine and strobe lights?  Do they have a lot of raves on board?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

I don't see why they don't just go on the offensive.

The zombies are pretty easy to deal with when they don't surprise you, shouldn't be that hard to round them up and destroy them all in a given area.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Eddie Teach

They don't really have the numbers for it. Also, the zombies move around.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 27, 2012, 03:08:42 PM

Sure they do, 1 guy with a rifle can take out dozens of zombies.

And sure they move, but they appear to do so in a very predictable manner, at least locally. Hell, you could probably pretty easily lure them all into a pit mine or something.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

HVC

The noise of shots and zombie groans would probably make you a beacon. eventually you'd get over run, i'd assume.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

also, ricks a dumb ass. Baldy's clearly not all there and wants your wife and kids. So what'ya do? hand him a gun of course.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on February 27, 2012, 02:32:45 PM
Watching Alien again.  Something that struck me as odd.  Why does Ripley need to activate a self-destruct.  Can't she just leave the ship without blowing it up?  Also, why does the self-destruct button also turn on the fog machine and strobe lights?  Do they have a lot of raves on board?

Yeah, because leaving the ship with that thing still on board and alive is the smart thing to do.  EVEN IF ONE OF THOSE THINGS GETS DOWN HERE

And, as far as the effects go, I'd assume that activating the destruct sequence would do all sorts of things with pressurized systems, hydraulics, etc.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on February 27, 2012, 03:16:42 PM
also, ricks a dumb ass. Baldy's clearly not all there and wants your wife and kids. So what'ya do? hand him a gun of course.

Yeah, personally I'd have put one in his head by now, childhood friend or not.  Not because of the hook-up, which is understandable considering the circumstances at the time, but the fact he's seeing shit that's not there, and when the wife says he's off the hook about the foeuteous, nigga's off the hook.

And even without the coveting thy neighbor's wife angle, as much as he's a tactical asset, he's become an operational liability.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Berkut on February 27, 2012, 03:13:38 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 27, 2012, 03:08:42 PM

Sure they do, 1 guy with a rifle can take out dozens of zombies.

And sure they move, but they appear to do so in a very predictable manner, at least locally. Hell, you could probably pretty easily lure them all into a pit mine or something.
Just like in World War Z.  Most zombie apocalypses aren't as well thought out.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on February 27, 2012, 03:13:38 PM

What was disconcerting to me--and I don't know if it develops more later on, or is part of the graphic novel--was their ability to move en masse in a specific direction, like in Atlanta and more importantly on the highway when Sophia got lost;  it seemed almost migratory.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on February 27, 2012, 02:32:45 PM
You can't not blow up the ship.  With the alien on board, it would be incredibly dangerous and irresponsible.  Ripley was a good citizen of the future, and they were usually portrayed as quite responsible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Why can't you not blow up the ship?  It's not like the monster is going to fly off in it and start conquering the galaxy.  She could just leave and put the space opera equivalent of a post in note on the front door that reads "horrible space monster inside.  Careful!".  And why does the space ship have a self destruct system anyway?  I've ridden in very few vehicles that have a self destruct system.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

You don't want advanced technology falling into enemy hands.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on February 27, 2012, 03:59:58 PM
Why can't you not blow up the ship?  It's not like the monster is going to fly off in it and start conquering the galaxy.  She could just leave and put the space opera equivalent of a post in note on the front door that reads "horrible space monster inside.  Careful!".

Raz would leave a Post-It. 

QuoteAnd why does the space ship have a self destruct system anyway?  I've ridden in very few vehicles that have a self destruct system.

I dunno, you had no problem activating your countdown last week or so ago.