News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Jar-Jar Binks is still in it. Until they excise him away, that movie will not be close to worth watching.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 20, 2012, 08:12:47 AM
[
You know, for all the tinkering Lucas has done with his films, at least he hasn't matched Spielberg for idiocy.

I mean, remember when he re-edited E.T., and removed the guns and shotguns from the hands of the FBI at the end of the film during the chase?  He didn't want the FBI to seem too threatening to a bunch of children.

Dude, it's the FBI.  In reality, they'd definitely bring shotguns to a bicycle chase with 10 year olds and a harmless alien.  They're the FBI.  That's why the FBI has the reputation it does.

I'm waiting for when he redoes Schindler's List, and replaces all the MP-44s with accordions.

However, unlike Lucas, Spielberg does not go out of his way against original versions cf. E. T (both cuts on DVD) and Close Encounters of the Third Kind (the three cuts are available on blu-ray).
Furthermore, the original versions quality is comparable to the newer cut, unlike Lucas for its Special crappy editions with outdated lasersdisc transfers (even for Laserdisc he chose bad transfers below par for that format).

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on February 20, 2012, 09:39:06 AM
I think he wants to maintain the impression that the SS was threatening to children.  He's not going to kiss up to the SS like he would the FBI.  If you look at the real life FBI's response plan for 'Ten-year old kids riding bikes with a harmless alien', you'd see 'Blast 'em with a LAW'.

That's how the show "ALF" ended.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Pulling a Yi, just caught the last couple minutes of Fight Club. Great movie. :thumbsup:

(Ok, so I already saw it ten or fifteen years ago.)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2012, 10:44:24 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 20, 2012, 09:39:06 AM
I think he wants to maintain the impression that the SS was threatening to children.  He's not going to kiss up to the SS like he would the FBI.  If you look at the real life FBI's response plan for 'Ten-year old kids riding bikes with a harmless alien', you'd see 'Blast 'em with a LAW'.

That's how the show "ALF" ended.
Only good thing about that series.
PDH!

Josephus

Walking Dead is really good. When the last episode ended I looked at my watch, incredulous that an hour had passed. And according to a trailer for next week, we're in for a shitload of zombies.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Habbaku

Agreed.  Last night's episode continued the streak of quality bits from TWD.  Hope they can keep it up for the next four.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on February 20, 2012, 05:52:32 PM
Walking Dead is really good. When the last episode ended I looked at my watch, incredulous that an hour had passed. And according to a trailer for next week, we're in for a shitload of zombies.

Do you watch the talk show The Talking Dead that comes on right after a new episode?  They had the writer with them last week, said the "Zombie Quotient" gets ratcheted up substantially over the rest of this season's episodes.

Josquius

Good.
Though I totally forgot about The Walking Dead yesterday, shall have to hunt for it today.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

So, judging from the last night's episode of Glee, Ryan Murphy just misses American Horror Story.

Sheilbh

The Class.  Good.  So much better for being French than Hollywood on the same subject. 

Whoever designed the marketing should be fired.  The poster prepares you for a high school comedy.  A Jean Hugues film:

Which would be great, but The Class isn't really anything like that. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Watched a tiny bit of Shaolin Soccer the other night.  Same dude as Kung Fu Hustle, so I was expecting more brilliance.  It was crap.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 22, 2012, 06:18:21 PM
Watched a tiny bit of Shaolin Soccer the other night.  Same dude as Kung Fu Hustle, so I was expecting more brilliance.  It was crap.
Yeah. I tried it the other ngiht.
PDH!

Ideologue

G.I. Joe: The Movie.  The cartoon, that is.  Good fun.  It compares unfavorably to the Transformers movie, but what doesn't?  I really liked the inclusion of such a bizarre element as Cobra-La.  A bridge that eats people?  Remarkable.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

The Zookeeper.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Some good gags, and the animal effects were flawless.