News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2011, 12:10:53 AM
Eric Bana's coming to blow up your mattress.

I prefer Marie-Josée Croze coming to blowing me on my mattress, but without the honey trap.

She was perfect in Munich, for the few minutes we see her.

Sophie Scholl

Tucker and Dale vs Evil.  Quite an enjoyable flick.  It takes the 80's camping horror story and does a total flip on it.  Way better than any "Epic Movie"/"Scary Movie" type bullshit could hope to be.  If you have fond memories of the genre, look for it.  It's on Netflix on demand.  As an added bonus?  It has Alan Tudyk in it!
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josephus

Saw Tinker Tailor. First time in a long time, I saw people walk out. It's not exactly a fast paced, action flick. ;) Very talky.
I thought it was somewhat confusing at first, especially if you haven't read the book. Lots of characters and names thrown at you. Plus there are plenty of flashbacks. But it was pretty good. The sort of movie that can only get better with multiple viewings.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Kleves

Inspired by Ide, I watched The Giant Behemoth from 1959. Not to be confused with the tiny behemoth, I guess. In the film, American nuclear testing in the Pacific has caused a radioactive giant marine brontosaurus(!) to attack... London. Suckers. Pretty standard monster movie fare, save for the sometimes graphic depiction of radiation poisoning. I was, however, annoyed by the stupidity of the way the creature is killed. The creature cannot be bombed, because that would spread cause an explosion and spread radiation all over London. Ok, I guess. So the scientists come up with the idea of inserting radium into the creature to sped it's decay; the radium must remain inside the creature, or it won't work. The use of an anti-tank shell is discussed, but discarded, because it "might miss." I imagine British anti-tank gunners could hit a slow-moving 200-foot dinosaur, but whatever, they know their capabilities better than I. So it's decided that the right way to insert the radium into the creature is via a torpedo that explodes on contact. What's more, this torpedo will be aimed by a visiting American scientist in a midget submarine using an oscilloscope to aim. Of course, he hits the creature in the mouth on his first shot. Saved your asses again, Brits. Overall, less fun than a Japanese Godzilla movie, but more fun than an American Godzilla movie.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 31, 2011, 04:32:52 AM
Tucker and Dale vs Evil.  Quite an enjoyable flick. 

Personally, I thought it was funny as balls.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on December 31, 2011, 09:01:18 AM
Saw Tinker Tailor. First time in a long time, I saw people walk out.

What?  A dialogue-driven film? With English actors?  And a mature plot that requires attention and thought?  ZOMG I WANT MY MONEY BACK FOR HAPPY FEET 2

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Fail Safe.

The good one, not the shitty new one.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

There was a shitty new one? :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on December 31, 2011, 10:16:00 PM

Yep. Fairly recent if I remember right.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Saw Cowboys and Aliens.  Passable.  It was played completely straight, which gave it a kind of charm.  Weird movie though, since it felt like a real western with aliens surgically attached.  The Western parts were better then the alien parts.  I could have gone for a movie just called "Cowboys".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 31, 2011, 10:17:59 PM
Quote from: Josephus on December 31, 2011, 10:16:00 PM

Yep. Fairly recent if I remember right.

Actually, it's been about 10-12 years ago IIRC, if you're talking about the George Cloony version.  Though technically that wasn't a movie, it was a live production broadcast on TV.  Though I guess that there could have been a more recent remake that I wasn't aware of.

Kleves

War Horse. Not the worst WWI movie ever, because The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles exists. Still, ten million people died in WWI: I don't give a shit that some whiny English kid temporarily lost his pony. Verdict: send it to the glue factory.