News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

The first season had a sense of urgency. The zombies were never that scary, but they were there. a constant threat. Now you have what, besides in the first episode where they show up,  a zombie in the well and one in a pharmacy. The only time they were a real danger was for two characters who went out of their way to go to a dangerous spot.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Thing that bugs me about Walking Dead has more to do with the zombie myth, which I'm not sure I understand.

For instance: Why throw the barn zombies a sack of chickens? Do zombies starve? So what happens if they starve? Do they die? So guy in well should have died?

no matter. Let's assume that zombies can live long on meat. Why do they crave other humans so much? Why not go after cows...who are more sedentary and easier targets?

Speaking of cows. That nice, tranquil and supposedly safe farm has a crap load of cows (and chickens). You'd think that zombies would be all over the farm. Here be cows we can eat. Yet those cows we see in the farm grazing away seem rather safe and aloof from any danger.

I hate also in this show how slow-moving groaning zombies apparently materialize out of nowhere so quick. Like on the highway in the earlier episode and in the village in the last one. One moment the village is quiet and clean, the next there's an invasion of them.

In the end maybe as Berk said, this show is less about zombies than people trying to survive a disaster. In fact in the most recent episode I actually forgot we were watching a zombie flick and the zombies in the village surprised me. Wasn't expecting them.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Not knowing anything about the Zombies was the point of the comic.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Zombies don't usually have to eat no, but this doctor guy evidently doesn't know that so he feeds them- zombies not having to eat makes them even more unrealistic (but then they weren't that already), theoretically in the post apocolypse world zombies could be lashed onto treadmills chasing after a guy sitting in front of them to generate infinite free power.

Going after humans...typical virus stuff really, it only infects humans (in most zombie myths) so it makes sense they'd go after more humans.
Most sorts of zombie don't even bother other animals. Maybe 75:25 human only vs. eat everything from what I've seen.

The farm I guess is in the middle of nowhere, zombies can't sense the cows miles away.

I don't like this series of WD compared to the last at all. Its a bit dull. I want a drama I'll watch a drama. What I want here is zombies.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on November 23, 2011, 10:00:10 AM
I don't like this series of WD compared to the last at all. Its a bit dull. I want a drama I'll watch a drama. What I want here is zombies.

In that case don't read the comic - it has long passages where a lot of the tension/drama comes from the survivors' interactions and not zombie stuff.

But then, so do most zombie movies - very often the people are worse monsters than the zombies themselves.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on November 22, 2011, 11:03:56 PM
No Walking Dead posts this week? Didn't think it was all that bad. Season Finale next week.

This speaks more to the pacing of the show rather than the level of intrest.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: HVC on November 23, 2011, 09:18:30 AM
The first season had a sense of urgency. The zombies were never that scary, but they were there. a constant threat. Now you have what, besides in the first episode where they show up,  a zombie in the well and one in a pharmacy. The only time they were a real danger was for two characters who went out of their way to go to a dangerous spot.

That's one of the themes of the Comic Book, Zombies are a force of nature rather than "persons" (look it up in a dictionary of philosophy). What gets people killed by zombies is when people make bad decisions or decide to take risks for human emotional reasons. It's easy to build a safe zombie proof existence, it's very very hard to produce a safe human proof existence when zombies are about.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on November 23, 2011, 09:53:40 AM
I hate also in this show how slow-moving groaning zombies apparently materialize out of nowhere so quick. Like on the highway in the earlier episode and in the village in the last one. One moment the village is quiet and clean, the next there's an invasion of them.

I'd like to think there's going to be an inevitable epiphany about their nature in grouping and moving that way;  granted, in Atlanta they were everywhere because it's a city, but it seemed they were in bunches moreso.  Same thing with the highway: it was almost as if they were migrating.  Maybe one or two are around from time to time, but I think it's interesting that they seem to swarm.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2011, 11:54:39 AM
Quote from: Josephus on November 23, 2011, 09:53:40 AM

I'd like to think there's going to be an inevitable epiphany about their nature in grouping and moving that way;  granted, in Atlanta they were everywhere because it's a city, but it seemed they were in bunches moreso.  Same thing with the highway: it was almost as if they were migrating.  Maybe one or two are around from time to time, but I think it's interesting that they seem to swarm.

The Graphic Novel has the Zombies gathering together into herds and moving about. That and the zombies sort of hibernating when nothing is happening suggest that it is quite possible for a noise waking a zombie horde sitting in an underground parking lot. The ambush zombie is also a recurring theme. The horde or the ambush zombie are apparenty the only conditions under which zombies are actually dangerous... that and zombies standing between you and the exit in a dead end alley.

viper37

I kinda like Revenge.  I missed episodes 2-5, but I can get by anyway.
Only problem is, at times, it looks more like a teenage drama show than a Comte de Monte Cristo inspired story.  It sure is slow moving, but I guess watching only 4 episodes out of 8 gave me that impression.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Goon

If it's as good as it is hyped, I'll have a special presentation of the movie for all Languish hockey fans at my place :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on November 24, 2011, 11:13:31 AM
Only problem is, at times, it looks more like a teenage drama show than a Comte de Monte Cristo inspired story.  It sure is slow moving, but I guess watching only 4 episodes out of 8 gave me that impression.

Funny thing Viper, is that I think eps 1-5 were the best. It really focussed on Emile, or whatever her name is, and her revenge plotting. Since then, it's becoming rather soap -opera ish. The revenge plotting is still there but it's hindered by the silly teenage romances and Dynasty-ish intriguing.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: viper37 on November 24, 2011, 11:30:01 AM
Goon

If it's as good as it is hyped, I'll have a special presentation of the movie for all Languish hockey fans at my place :P
Definitely looking forward to watching this. :thumbsup:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on November 24, 2011, 11:55:35 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 24, 2011, 11:13:31 AM

Funny thing Viper, is that I think eps 1-5 were the best. It really focussed on Emile, or whatever her name is, and her revenge plotting. Since then, it's becoming rather soap -opera ish. The revenge plotting is still there but it's hindered by the silly teenage romances and Dynasty-ish intriguing.
I really liked #1, wich I saw on re-run, and it was this that kept me going on the show.

Habsburg

I'm prepared to make my pre/pre predix for Oscar Best Actress nominations:

Glenn Close, in Albert Noobs (no ham in this one)
Meryl Streep, in The Iron Lady (yucky, but Streep is getting very good reviews)
Tilda Swinton, in We Need to Talk About Kevin (living Legend getting career best reviews)
Charlize Theron, in Young Adult (Jason Reitman film, possible BP nominee)
Michelle Williams, in My Week with Marilyn (doubtful of a HABSY nomination)

alt. Rooney Mara, in The Girl with the Golden Tattoo (problems with comparisons with Rapace, I don't think they like Fincher, this goes Inception route: Picture + Screenplay + Techs)

I think AMPAS moves Viola Davis, in The Help to Supporting (where she wins) in the reverse of Winslet in The Reader (Supporting to Lead where she won.)