News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Sounds as good an explanation as any. Plus, one really should turn off the part of the brain saying things are unrealistic when watching zombie fiction.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Or dinosaur science fiction.

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on November 15, 2011, 10:56:31 PM
You refuse to believe that zombies that have no outside stimulus will be silent rather than just randomly make noise?

I refuse to believe that zombies exist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

That's progress, in a way.   :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on November 16, 2011, 12:11:57 AM
That's progress, in a way.   :hmm:

One of my pet peeves is how monsters always have to be the same.  Werewolves are vulnerable to silver, vampires to wooden stakes, Zombies can only be killed by a shot to the brain.  These seem kinda arbitrary.  In a world where people actually believe in magic, being arbitrary works because magic is arbitrary.  It's not suppose to make sense.  But in the modern world where people try to rationalize these things it always seems silly.  Take the vampires.  Why are vampires allergic to sharp wood?  I know why legends had people stake a vampire.  It was to keep him from getting back up.  You drove a wooden stake into a vampire to pin him to the ground.  Then you cut his head off (and stuffed it with holy wafers and lit him on fire). Incidentally, the way they killed Dracula was that they cut off his head with an large knife.

Sometimes in a movie the characters will scoff at the idea of one the traditional weakness.  "You don't drive back a vampire with a crucifix.  That's silly.  You have to use garlic."  That strikes me as absurd.  Why garlic?  Will an ordinary onion work?  What about a leek?  They are pretty close to garlic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2011, 12:58:40 AM
Sometimes in a movie the characters will scoff at the idea of one the traditional weakness.  "You don't drive back a vampire with a crucifix.  That's silly.  You have to use garlic."  That strikes me as absurd.  Why garlic?  Will an ordinary onion work?  What about a leek?  They are pretty close to garlic.

I have a bottle of pills that says not to use with grapefruit juice. Haven't had any adverse effects drinking orange juice with them.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2011, 01:16:21 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 16, 2011, 12:58:40 AM

I have a bottle of pills that says not to use with grapefruit juice. Haven't had any adverse effects drinking orange juice with them.

Xanax? 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2011, 05:35:50 AM
No, buspirone.

Grapefruits and grapefruit juice (uniquely among the fruit population) inhibits some enzyme in the liver that processes a bunch of common prescription drugs.  The antacid Tagamet (cimetidine) does the same thing.  The effect is to slow down the absorption of the drug and thereby make the effect stronger/longer-lasting.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Josephus

Quote from: Habbaku on November 15, 2011, 10:56:31 PM
You refuse to believe that zombies that have no outside stimulus will be silent rather than just randomly make noise?

Yes. They were banging pretty heavily on them doors. And traditionally they groan a lot.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Viking on November 15, 2011, 03:26:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2011, 01:48:37 PM
Terra Nova tonight.

It is hyped as a 'big' episode, with lots of action and hard choices.  It better delivers or I'm done with this show.

Damn you!! Damn you too hell!! This comment of yours made me watch this turkey again.

Animals - no brachosaurs or sailfish during the relevant period. Brachiosaurs are Jurassic (60My earlier) and Sailfish are Tertiary (30My later).

crappy plot, crappy story, crappy characters I can't wait til this gets cancelled so I can stop being so annoyed about how crap it is. And the Spinosaurus bit I read about... the fucking Spinosuarus is a fish eating (yes big fish) late Cretaceous (20My later) North African dinosaur.
It's ok, you saved me the watching.  I'm cancelling this show for myself.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on November 16, 2011, 03:10:44 PM
Quote from: Viking on November 15, 2011, 03:26:38 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2011, 01:48:37 PM
Terra Nova tonight.

It is hyped as a 'big' episode, with lots of action and hard choices.  It better delivers or I'm done with this show.

Damn you!! Damn you too hell!! This comment of yours made me watch this turkey again.

Animals - no brachosaurs or sailfish during the relevant period. Brachiosaurs are Jurassic (60My earlier) and Sailfish are Tertiary (30My later).

crappy plot, crappy story, crappy characters I can't wait til this gets cancelled so I can stop being so annoyed about how crap it is. And the Spinosaurus bit I read about... the fucking Spinosuarus is a fish eating (yes big fish) late Cretaceous (20My later) North African dinosaur.
It's ok, you saved me the watching.  I'm cancelling this show for myself.

you lucky lucky lucky bastard...
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

In the years to come, we'll wonder what happened to quality sci-fi on TV.  And then we'll realize that it was network execs and the idiots that make up the population.  And we'll have them all executed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

FunkMonk

While moving outta the apartment I've seen (again) Big Trouble in Little China, Grandma's Boy, and Me, Myself, and Irene all within 24 hours on TV. I was content.  :)

Forgetting Sarah Marshall was on right after Irene, which wasn't too bad either.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.