News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Anyone watching American Horror Story? Watched the first two eps and was quite impressed. Sort of a cross between Amityville Horror and The Shining...had quite a few chilling moments.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 08, 2011, 06:19:55 AM
I expect Once is getting much better ratings though. It's appearing on ABC on Sunday rather than NBC on Friday for one thing.

Also I don't know that I'd call Goodwin and Morrison "star power".

Robbie Carlisle is gonna start channeling Begbie and come over to your house and kick your ass.

Yes, for a TV show (and especially compared to Grimm) it is full of star power.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on November 07, 2011, 10:07:52 AM
Hell's on Wheels, AMC.
A former Confederate soldier is seeking vengeance from the Union Soldiers who raped&killed his wife during the war.
Of course, they man is a noble hero.  He fought for honor, not for slavery.  He freed all his slaves one year before the war and kept them on wages.
Can't have the 'hero' a proud slave owner, now can't we?

Aside that, I kinda like the show so far, I think it has an interesting premise: the building of the first transcontinental railroad and the machinations behind it, similar in nature to BoardWalk Empire.

Will watch it again, see how it evolves.

I watched it. I have to say, I suspect the script is covered in Lettows semen stains and has co-author credit for Jubal Early. I stopped at the scene where the "yankees" were enjoying perverted sexual fantasies about negresses in bondage.

I do, however, find it interesting that to make a confederate acceptible as a hero they have to remove every feature which served to identify confederates and reduce him to Mel Gibson's character from "The Patriot" and give the yankees every characteristic which history has given to the confederacy.

The Mel Gibson school of historical narrative must be destroyed. 

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on November 08, 2011, 08:11:51 AM
Robbie Carlisle is gonna start channeling Begbie and come over to your house and kick your ass.

Yes, for a TV show (and especially compared to Grimm) it is full of star power.

Apparently, last week Once Upon a Time had 11.4 million viewers and Grimm just under 6. So they can afford to splurge a little more on the budget.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Viking on November 08, 2011, 11:51:35 AM
I do, however, find it interesting that to make a confederate acceptible as a hero they have to remove every feature which served to identify confederates and reduce him to Mel Gibson's character from "The Patriot" and give the yankees every characteristic which history has given to the confederacy.
I don't get the feeling that all yankees are scum, or that the main character even considers that.  It's just that some of them were bad, and that probably makes a better story than the opposite.
But he himself has been Gibsonified for sure :D

The Mel Gibson school of historical narrative must be destroyed. 
I wonder why he hasn't tought of an epic movie on that war.  Probably because there were no British :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

Bah.  Disappointed to hear about Hell on Wheels.  Confederatard apologists. <_<
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Drakken

Someone put the whole series Peter the Great on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/xPTGx#p/u/10/vFtKAPEoK7

Reminds me how Maximillian Schell was fucking awesome in that series, even though he was smaller than the real Peter, and Charles XII was not the warmongering manchild buffoon we see in the series. Yet, seeing Schell as Peter executing the lot of the Streltsy lead revolters with his own hand is kinda priceless.

Syt

I was watching an old TNG episode yesterday, "Contagion".

According to Memory Alpha it's the first episode where Picard orders his trademark "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot." Of course he receives a potted plant instead from the replicator.

I wonder if this was a shout out to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where Arthur Dent's attempt to get the Nutrimatic aboard the Heart of Gold to give him a cup of tea almost gets the crew killed because it overloads the computers, and where a bowl of petunias also makes an unexpected but very notable appearance.

:nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Zoupa

Just saw most of Carrie for the first time. Fucked up  :lol:

Young Sissy Spacek though, yummy.

Josephus

Quote from: Zoupa on November 11, 2011, 02:16:07 AM
Just saw most of Carrie for the first time. Fucked up  :lol:

Young Sissy Spacek though, yummy.

Greatest opening scene in any horror movie. :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

I've reached episode 4 of "The Jury" (a UK TV series). It is very good. 

BuddhaRhubarb

Watched "Face Off" ... nope not the John Woo cheese fest. This face off is far less disappointing in that it's called Face Off and is actually a Hockey movie. It is however a bigger cheese fest than Mr. Doves flying out of the cathedral's movie.

Low budget tax shelter film starring actual old school hockey players. There's tons of great crisp shot on 35 mm, mostly helmet-less hockey with the likes of Bobby Orr, Derek Sanderson, and all the Maple Laffs of the period. Included as an extra feature is the SCTV parody which is how most Canadians know the movie, actually...  Fun and sincere as all get out.

7.2 "Michael Sarrazins of Canada" drinking Molson Export in stubbies with "Chief" George Armstrong outta 10
:p

Liep

Denmark excluded from the UN in the latest parks and rec episode. Excellent. :D
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on October 23, 2011, 02:25:08 AM
The approaching three musketeers film deserves some credit for being the first Clock Punk film.
That I know of anyway.
It does look potentially bad though.
The 2nd Hellboy movie had Clock Punk villains.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point