News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on August 01, 2023, 11:30:52 AM
Quote from: Gups on August 01, 2023, 09:59:21 AMI stopped watching Expanse part way through season 2. Not quite sure why - it was pretty good but obviously not that compelling. Two episodes into Foudnation and enjoying it so far.

The other standout recent sci-fi series is Severance (apple TV). Station 11 is more post-apocolyptic than sci-fi but is exellent. Andor is very good. Mandalorian less so.

Speaking of Apple, I hear good things about For All Mankind.

I started watching it a couple of months ago.  Looks beautiful, interesting concept, but I have to admit I just wasn't compelled enough to keep watching.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Same. Got through series 1. Ticked so many boxes of what should have appeared to me.
But the execution just left me cold.
I think they might have focussed too much on the earthside personal dramas like the kid doing bad at school and such.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: celedhring on July 31, 2023, 04:27:31 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 31, 2023, 04:13:05 PMSecret Invasion didn't manage to make the ending any better than the rest.  Could have skipped it entirely.

I enjoy the Grand Tour, but these people really need to watch their shit.  Being a raging tool will work if you are a superstar, not an Amazon Prime show - after getting kicked off BBC.

Secret Invasion was weird. Overall it was pretty bad, but it had some of the best dialogue/character scenes in any Marvel thing.

Like, there's all this superhero drudgery crap, and then Fury would sit down and talk with Talos, or his wife... and "hey, this is actually a great character scene". And then more stupid superhero crap would follow.
Yeah, it couldn't quite figure out what kind of show it was and it wound up not being anything.

THere were those cool moments, some contrived plot exposition, and then filler.

I saw the new Dune movie. It was good. Hope the last half is good. Guessing they won't make more.
PDH!

celedhring

Got a memo from the WGA saying that the movie studios have asked for a meeting this Friday to resume contract talks. Good.

Jacob

Hope to see some resolution soon.

Darth Wagtaros

First episode of the second season of Good Omens. I'm skeptical as this is original material, but it wasn't bad.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on August 02, 2023, 01:28:54 AMGot a memo from the WGA saying that the movie studios have asked for a meeting this Friday to resume contract talks. Good.

They'll offer two more bathroom breaks per 12hrs of work and a 0,10$ per page of script raise.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on August 02, 2023, 06:34:49 PM
Quote from: celedhring on August 02, 2023, 01:28:54 AMGot a memo from the WGA saying that the movie studios have asked for a meeting this Friday to resume contract talks. Good.

They'll offer two more bathroom breaks per 12hrs of work and a 0,10$ per page of script raise.

Probably - I fear this might be just an attempt to salvage some PR after all the terrible press they've been getting.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on August 01, 2023, 11:30:52 AMSpeaking of Apple, I hear good things about For All Mankind.

Yeah, I liked it. Like most shows, it got worse as it went along, but it's good and has a great premise. (Russians beat the USA to the moon).
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

IS no one watching the new Futurama?

Just two episodes in so far.  Not sure if it's really funny enough or not, but good to be back.

It's kind of weird though - the show has always had a set timeline - it's set exactly 1000 years from now.  So now the show is set in the year 3023.  Yet the characters never seem to age or change, but Fry does talk about being in the future for over 20 years.

Also (mild spoiler)

Remember way back when Kiff got pregnant (with Leela as the genetic mom, but Amy as the "smizmar"), gave birth to all these little tadpoles, then it said they won't come back for 20 years?  Well it's been 20 years, so now Amy and Kiff have their kids back.

Now I'm curious to see if Cubert or Dwight make an appearance, and if they're grown up or not.

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on August 03, 2023, 01:08:09 AMProbably - I fear this might be just an attempt to salvage some PR after all the terrible press they've been getting.

Yeah... seems that the studios have decided this is the moment to break the unions and head into the bright new feature of AI generated content unshackled from the need to pay real live people (but still dependent on the real live people to feed the AI for now).

crazy canuck

Wait! There is a new Futurama?

Hold my beer

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2023, 04:01:23 PMWait! There is a new Futurama?

Hold my beer

Two episodes out so far.  Disney+ in Canada, Hulu in US.  Rest of the world can figure it out for themselves.

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on July 26, 2023, 03:51:32 PMSing and Like It (1934)

Nat Pendleton plays a gangster who controls the kidnapping and safe cracking racket in New York, but is reduced to tears by Zasu Pitts' rendition of the song "Your Mother."  So he threatens Edward Horton (the mad genius of Broadway) to put her in his upcoming show.  This then turns into a wicked satire of the theater, surprising for the age, it would be almost twenty years before "All About Eve".

Something that you might like, from tonight BBC are showing 'The RKO Story' documentary series as narrated by Ed Asner.

Details here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00g882n

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on August 03, 2023, 04:06:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 03, 2023, 04:01:23 PMWait! There is a new Futurama?

Hold my beer

Two episodes out so far.  Disney+ in Canada, Hulu in US.  Rest of the world can figure it out for themselves.

I loved the show, but isn't this like the 4th time it's been resurrected?

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.