News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 31, 2023, 04:13:05 PMSecret Invasion didn't manage to make the ending any better than the rest.  Could have skipped it entirely.

I enjoy the Grand Tour, but these people really need to watch their shit.  Being a raging tool will work if you are a superstar, not an Amazon Prime show - after getting kicked off BBC.

Secret Invasion was weird. Overall it was pretty bad, but it had some of the best dialogue/character scenes in any Marvel thing.

Like, there's all this superhero drudgery crap, and then Fury would sit down and talk with Talos, or his wife... and "hey, this is actually a great character scene". And then more stupid superhero crap would follow.

crazy canuck

Anyone watching Foundation?

It's strikingly beautiful at times.

mongers

In the wake of recently watching 'Better Call Saul' followed by 'Breaking Bad' I haven't been able to find anything of real quality to watch?

So have only been viewing the news and occasional comedy panel shows.

Any suggestion of what to watch, I perhaps fancy some decent sci-fi.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on July 31, 2023, 04:42:18 PMIn the wake of recently watching 'Better Call Saul' followed by 'Breaking Bad' I haven't been able to find anything of real quality to watch?

Can I assume you've seen The Irishman?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2023, 05:57:45 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 31, 2023, 04:42:18 PMIn the wake of recently watching 'Better Call Saul' followed by 'Breaking Bad' I haven't been able to find anything of real quality to watch?

Can I assume you've seen The Irishman?

Yep, excellent, a classic Martin S. film, Joe Pesci's best performance; I'll watch it again in 10 or so years time.

Zoupa

The Expanse is the best sci-fi tv show I've ever seen, if that helps.

mongers

Quote from: Zoupa on July 31, 2023, 09:27:19 PMThe Expanse is the best sci-fi tv show I've ever seen, if that helps.

Thanks Zoupa, I'll give your recommendation a spin. :cheers:

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on July 31, 2023, 09:33:21 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on July 31, 2023, 09:27:19 PMThe Expanse is the best sci-fi tv show I've ever seen, if that helps.

Thanks Zoupa, I'll give your recommendation a spin. :cheers:

It's very good, but also very grim.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2023, 04:37:01 PMAnyone watching Foundation?

I do as pointed out above. I like S2 so far better than 1. It's still gorgeous to look at and Lee Pace remains magnetic in his performance. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2023, 04:37:01 PMAnyone watching Foundation?

I was a big fan of the books and I really like it. Not been able to watch series 2 yet though.
Is there anything else with the same modern pulp sci fi visuals like it and Dune? It works very well.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

I stopped watching Expanse part way through season 2. Not quite sure why - it was pretty good but obviously not that compelling. Two episodes into Foudnation and enjoying it so far.

The other standout recent sci-fi series is Severance (apple TV). Station 11 is more post-apocolyptic than sci-fi but is exellent. Andor is very good. Mandalorian less so.

crazy canuck

Silo on Apple TV is also quite good, also more post apocalypse than sci fi

Syt

Quote from: Gups on August 01, 2023, 09:59:21 AMI stopped watching Expanse part way through season 2. Not quite sure why - it was pretty good but obviously not that compelling. Two episodes into Foudnation and enjoying it so far.

The other standout recent sci-fi series is Severance (apple TV). Station 11 is more post-apocolyptic than sci-fi but is exellent. Andor is very good. Mandalorian less so.

Speaking of Apple, I hear good things about For All Mankind.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Gups on August 01, 2023, 09:59:21 AMI stopped watching Expanse part way through season 2. Not quite sure why - it was pretty good but obviously not that compelling. Two episodes into Foudnation and enjoying it so far.

I ended up reading the books after starting on season one, then read the series before returning to TV version. Now stuck on the last two seasons because I know the earth bombing scumbag will just tick me off

Syt

With The Expanse I've read the first two and a half books, and I admit I like the show version better - you can tell the writers took the chance to re-write some parts/characters and tighten the story. E.g. we get more Avasarala (always good) and I like Claes Ashford 10000% better in the show.
—Stephen Jay Gould