News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I've finished GLOW. The last season wasn't bad, or rather the episodes by themselves are fine, but much like the characters they seem to be struggle to figure out a direction and what they actually want.

It picks up some of that forward momentum again in the second half and especially the last two or three episodes, but I suppose it was too little too late. Shame, really. I did appreciate Carmen going full Undertaker in the final episode (though this would take place almost 4 years before the Undertaker's debut in 1990). :)

It's disappointing that it leaves many open plot threads, but then again so does life, I guess.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Cobra Kai, Season 3 is up on Netflix.

Only a few episodes in so far, but feeling kinda "meh" about it...

Especially as you can really see how Netflix is worried about their multi-billion $ debt in that product placement this season is excessive to the point of being laughably obvious/ridiculous, for example...[spoiler]The Okinawan village from KK2 is now a shopping mall...with Daniel's disappointed gaze lingering on every...single...one of the store's logos for way too long.  And if you think his disappointment might actually more of a negative reflection on the commercialization, there is a helpful scene with a cheerful local telling him how all the villagers actually embraced the change. :yuk: [/spoiler]

Eddie Teach

Of course they do. The modern world is actually an improvement, despite its problems.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

I actually liked Season 3 of Cobra Kai more than Season 2, but ymmv.

Season 1 still simply the best
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tonitrus

Quote from: FunkMonk on January 05, 2021, 02:21:55 PM
I actually liked Season 3 of Cobra Kai more than Season 2, but ymmv.

Season 1 still simply the best

Finished it up...

It got better, and liked it overall.  For the two primary fan-service episodes...[spoiler]the return to Okinawa, and Ali-with-an-I reunion...I still think the former was super weak and disappointing, while in contrast, the episode with Elisabeth Shue and how they navigated, and defused, Ali and Johnny's potential romantic tension was just about perfect. [/spoiler]

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 05, 2021, 12:48:07 PM

Just two episodes in.  I'll keep watching, but yeah they kind of needed to clear the floor of the insane ending to season 2.

The whole genius of the series is it took stock villain Johnny from the movie and made him a fully-formed character.  They seem to be trying to do the same now with Kreese in Season 3 but it isn't quite taking so far.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on December 31, 2020, 09:16:52 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 31, 2020, 09:05:22 PM
That movie has cult status in Quebec, in its Quebec's joual (slang, I guess...) dubbed version:
Why 'Slap Shot' Captures the 1970s Better Than Any Other Sports Movie

It probably contains everything you shouldn't put in a movie today :D :P

It's not just a cult classic in Quebec - it's a fucking treasure.
Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 31, 2020, 10:18:15 PM
Canadian cult classic, perhaps.
See, we know what is good tv and what is not!  :yuk:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 01, 2021, 07:59:34 AM
PS: I don't like much dubs generally, but the Québec dub is better than the French dub.
-how do you say "échange moé" in English?-Trade me right fucking now :lmfao: Yes, I generally prefer the english original, but slapshot is a gem  :D They had Benoit Marleau, a famous classical actor, come in for the dubbing session, but he had no idea what he was getting into until they gave him his lines and he was in a recording session  :D :lol: - he was shocked.

But nothing equal his dismay, many years later, when he was brought into a theater and there were lots of people reunited to (re)watch that movie and he was acclaimed like a superstard  :cool: :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on January 02, 2021, 10:18:30 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 01, 2021, 07:59:34 AM
Quote from: viper37 on December 31, 2020, 09:05:22 PM
That movie has cult status in Quebec, in its Quebec's joual (slang, I guess...) dubbed version:
Why 'Slap Shot' Captures the 1970s Better Than Any Other Sports Movie

It probably contains everything you shouldn't put in a movie today :D :P

Used excerpts of it for a master thesis to highlight ice hockey terminological differences between European French and Canadian French, from the original North American English. :)

PS: I don't like much dubs generally, but the Québec dub is better than the French dub.

Never ceases to strike me as amazingly bizzare that you guys get this whilst we are stuck with American dubs.
On those occasions where I've seen foreign movies with British dubs they actually seem better. There's less dissonance between what I see and hear.
Americans aren't used to dubbing, they don't seem to have developped a real talented industry for it.  Even voice acting for anime is often subpar.

crazy canuck

Season 5 of Expanse - well worth the wait.

Habbaku

:yes:

I want to binge them all now, though, dammit.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on January 05, 2021, 04:47:40 PM
[Duque de Bragança link=topic=4507.msg1284072#msg1284072 date=1609505974]

Americans aren't used to dubbing, they don't seem to have developped a real talented industry for it.  Even voice acting for anime is often subpar.

Anime in particular is where it tends to be so god awful. They always seem to have people with not the regular light TV American accents but super strong accents.
I've tried with dubs. I really have. With low quality shows I am kind of curious about but don't want to give my full attention it seems a smart way to go. But... No.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

Quote from: Barrister on January 05, 2021, 04:11:43 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on January 05, 2021, 12:48:07 PM

Just two episodes in.  I'll keep watching, but yeah they kind of needed to clear the floor of the insane ending to season 2.

The whole genius of the series is it took stock villain Johnny from the movie and made him a fully-formed character.  They seem to be trying to do the same now with Kreese in Season 3 but it isn't quite taking so far.

:yes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Finished watching the third and final series of 'El Chapo', definitely worth a viewing, doesn't try to get you to sympathise with the main 'baddie', also I think it gave me some more detailed understanding of how Mexico's drug war evolved to how it is today.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on January 05, 2021, 10:46:12 PM
Finished watching the third and final series of 'El Chapo', definitely worth a viewing, doesn't try to get you to sympathise with the main 'baddie', also I think it gave me some more detailed understanding of how Mexico's drug war evolved to how it is today.

Compared to Narcos: Mexico, how is it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.