News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

We'll finally get It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia streamed when it releases instead of 3 years after. All Hail Disney!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Remember the dinosaur sandbox survival game Ark: Survival Evolved?

Yeah, it's getting a series with a ... big name cast

Apparently Vin Diesel will also star in the sequel.

Meanwhile, 2D side scrolling horror game Detention, set in a Taiwanese high school in the 60s during martial law is now as a show on Netflix.

These media crossovers are breaking my brain.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Tom "Tiny" Lister has died, aged 62.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

The Undoing. Nothing revolutionary, but a decently executed murder mystery.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on December 11, 2020, 08:14:26 AM

why am I thinking "Dinoriders for the 21st century"?

Berkut

If one had a very cursory experience with the Marvel universe, say they've watched maybe 1/3rd of the movies in no particular order or appreciation that they actually link up, and wanted to actually watch ALL of the movies...would it be best to watch in release order, or chronological order?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on December 12, 2020, 01:39:23 AM
If one had a very cursory experience with the Marvel universe, say they've watched maybe 1/3rd of the movies in no particular order or appreciation that they actually link up, and wanted to actually watch ALL of the movies...would it be best to watch in release order, or chronological order?

The only ones I can think of that don't go in release order are Captain Marvel (set in the 90s) and Captain America: The First Avenger (set in the 40s).  Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think so.  Edit: oh Ant Man and the Wasp is set slightly before Infinity War even if released after.

If you wanted to watch all of the movies (and they're good, but a couple are easily skippable *Cough Thor 2*), I'd go release order.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

We are currently watching them chronologically which I think is netting a different experience for my husband and I as he has had a very cursory experience with them and I'd seen them all at least once.

I don't think it'll matter much as the only wrinkle with chronological is that sometimes they have characters who you would know if you watched in release order but are meeting for first time chronologically.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on December 12, 2020, 02:03:44 AM

The only ones I can think of that don't go in release order are Captain Marvel (set in the 90s) and Captain America: The First Avenger (set in the 40s).  Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think so.  Edit: oh Ant Man and the Wasp is set slightly before Infinity War even if released after.

If you wanted to watch all of the movies (and they're good, but a couple are easily skippable *Cough Thor 2*), I'd go release order.

This seems to suggest a different order from release and chrono

https://www.radiotimes.com/movies/2020-12-08/marvel-movies-order/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

On a side note, after watching most of Agents of Shield, [spoiler]I've noticed how my brain is much more primed to pay attention to every Phil Coulson appearance. [/SPOILER]

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 11, 2020, 08:14:26 AM

Yeah, it's getting a series with a ... big name cast

Apparently Vin Diesel will also star in the sequel.

Meanwhile, 2D side scrolling horror game Detention, set in a Taiwanese high school in the 60s during martial law is now as a show on Netflix.

These media crossovers are breaking my brain.

Netlifx has been doing this "turn videogames into animated shows with loads of star names" thingie, but this one doesn't seem to have a distributor yet. Weird.

viper37

go by released order. the post-credit scene(s) often gives a teaser of the next movie to be released, and they are mostly self contained.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

I'm actually in the same boat. I've got an acquaintance from my LCS sending a watch order that includes everything (all of the tv shows and movies). I can post it when he sends it to me.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Finally got around to watch "Mank". Loved it, with the understanding that the movie is very much an artifact, employing dialogue and directing style that are firmly rooted in the 1930s, that will feel odd and forced to today's audiences.

It's slightly off-putting that nearly every report on the movie focuses on rehashing the "who wrote Citizen Kane?" debate, which is just a really small part of the movie (in fact just the last 2-3 scenes). The movie's focus is Hollywood's efforts to sink Upton Sinclair's gubernatorial campaign in the 1930s, the conceit of the film being that Mankiewicz (who was part of Hearst's entourage) writes the movie as a revenge against Hearst for being behind that effort. I'd say 80% of the film's length are flashbacks to the 1930s.

mongers

Is 'Designated Survivor' worth persevering with?

Three episodes in and I'm finding it OK, but with somewhat two-dimensional characters and strikes me as a 'West Wing' lite with conspiracy elements.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"