TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on November 27, 2020, 03:01:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2020, 02:43:26 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 27, 2020, 02:30:04 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 27, 2020, 02:28:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2020, 01:56:09 PMAnd this also reminds me I really should watch Parks and Rec, which Schur also wrote for.

As you're a conservative public servant, I want you to watch it and then tell me if you prefer Leslie or Ron.
A conservative public servant in the Frozen North - he'll prefer Ron :P

So I've never sat down and watched Parks and Rec, but I have seen a few videos of compilations of Ron Swanson's funniest bits on that show. :blush:

:lol: Any favourite quote already?

:D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 27, 2020, 02:03:02 PM
Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2020, 01:29:25 PM
On season 2 of Brooklyn 99. Really enjoying the show and the characters (it's a rare comedy show that has no characters I dislike). It's easy to binge. Terry Crews is a treasure. :wub: And Diaz is hot.  :blush:
It's really great and amazingly winning/positive (this may be because, being British and watching our shows - it's a rare comedy show I watch that doesn't leave me a little bit wanting to die of embarrassment :ph34r:).

Although I love Gina Linetti <_<

A former classmate of mine works in that show. It feels like the entire show is a projection of her personality.  :lol:

Eddie Teach

How does Gina manage to keep her job?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 27, 2020, 12:33:50 PM
Desperately Seeking Susan. One of those wacky 80s movies about a case of mistaken identity. Pretty fun.

Maradona was in that one
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

I'm a couple episodes into Raised By Wolves. It's different.

Mother is OP af.

Admiral Yi

I hereby plug my high school buddy's loooong story about the 737 MAX on 20/20 on NBC at 9 (eastern?).

I'm currently watching the screen clips and it's well done (pace is perfect IMO) but 15 minutes in I haven't learned anything I didn't know.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2020, 12:33:19 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 24, 2020, 10:16:35 PM
Since I have no interest in watching The Crown ( ;) ), I can't tell you what it is.  I'm leaning toward a series since it seems obvious they wanted to tell the whole story of the current British royal family from Elizabeth's beginnings to the current events.

Don't you mean the Canadian royal family? :hmm:
:yucky:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Watched *Pom Poko* - a Studio Gibili movie I've never seen before, made by the same guy who created the better known (and ultra sad) *Grave of the Fireflies*. In this case, the theme is environmentalism - a group of Raccoon Dogs ("Raccoons" in the English dub - which are actually a quite different animal, not native to Japan) attempt to fight off developers and save their forest.

Animals fighting off development is of course a very common theme, but I think it is fair to say that no movie I've seen is anything close to as outright bonkers as this one.

The "raccoons" in question are figures out of Japanese folklore, and they have magic powers - in particular, they can transform into other things. Most jarring to those unfamiliar with the mythology, the raccoons can do astonishing things with their scrotums - there is a scene later in the movie which is supposed to be tragic, where a militant group of raccoons adopts a "kamakazie" attack on some Japanese riot police, attempting to smother/bludgeon them to death with their gigantic magic testicles (perhaps surprisingly, this ends badly for the animals).

I enjoyed the movie, though it is very, very odd, in both form and content; it seems to move between comedy and tragedy, and there are tons of mythology/folklore references I'm sure I'm not getting.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 28, 2020, 03:42:38 AM
I'm a couple episodes into Raised By Wolves. It's different.

Mother is OP af.
Pretty good show.  Totally weird, but totally good :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Malthus on November 29, 2020, 03:15:30 PM

Animals fighting off development is of course a very common theme,

Like one I saw in the last few weeks, Princess Mononoke. Kid gets cursed defending his village, goes on a quest to lift it. Finds a town that produces the evil musket shot that caused his curse. Meets girl raised by wolves. The animals and two groups of humans go to war. Town and forest God both felled.

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 29, 2020, 03:35:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 29, 2020, 03:15:30 PM

Animals fighting off development is of course a very common theme,

Like one I saw in the last few weeks, Princess Mononoke. Kid gets cursed defending his village, goes on a quest to lift it. Finds a town that produces the evil musket shot that caused his curse. Meets girl raised by wolves. The animals and two groups of humans go to war. Town and forest God both felled.

Yup, that one is made by the same studio, but a different director. Also draws on themes of traditional Japanese folklore, but is somewhat more ambiguous in message (the industrialist-Lady is not exactly all bad) and while it is pretty weird, it isn't as jarringly weird in tone - Pom Poko varies between comedy and tragedy in the very same scene, while Mononoke is epic fantasy throughout.

Overall I think Mononoke is the better movie.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

The Undoing.

Nicole Kidman still looks as hot as she did when she was 14, 18.

Good series, so far, four episodes in.

I've noticed a trend with HBO shows lately. They're kind of, more or less, moving away from long Sopranos type series and moving onto limited series. Some work some don't.

Also watched an HBO/Sky series called The Third Day with Judd Law.  Strange, but appealing.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on November 30, 2020, 07:24:50 AM
I've noticed a trend with HBO shows lately. They're kind of, more or less, moving away from long Sopranos type series and moving onto limited series. Some work some don't.

I think that's where the market is going. Long runs don't drive subscribers unless they are GoT-like phenomenons, compared to "throw something new at the audience every month".

All the projects I'm involved in are limiteds destined for streaming, with a door open to "make more it they work".

Josephus

Into episode four of The Crown.

I'm hoping in the next episode we get to see Thatcher taking the tube and talking to Londoners about the Falklands War.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 27, 2020, 02:30:04 PM
Quote from: The Larch on November 27, 2020, 02:28:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2020, 01:56:09 PMAnd this also reminds me I really should watch Parks and Rec, which Schur also wrote for.

As you're a conservative public servant, I want you to watch it and then tell me if you prefer Leslie or Ron.
A conservative public servant in the Frozen North - he'll prefer Ron :P

So I did start watching the first few episodes of P&R (found em on Amazon Prime).  At least to start Ron is a very minor character - I suspect that as he became popular his role probably increased on the show.

I knew Chris Pratt was in the show, but it's still funny to see him play such a lower of a character.

And to answer the question, while I'll probably identify more with Ron, I do relate to Leslie's eagerness to do the right thing.  :blush:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.