News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2020, 01:29:25 PM
On season 2 of Brooklyn 99. Really enjoying the show and the characters (it's a rare comedy show that has no characters I dislike). It's easy to binge. Terry Crews is a treasure. :wub: And Diaz is hot.  :blush:
It's really great and amazingly winning/positive (this may be because, being British and watching our shows - it's a rare comedy show I watch that doesn't leave me a little bit wanting to die of embarrassment :ph34r:).

Although I love Gina Linetti <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I like Gina. I like weird characters being weird in my shows. :)

Oddly, the show I'm most reminded of is Taxi - a NY workplace comedy that's more of an ensemble piece (at least so far).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2020, 01:56:09 PMAnd if you like Brooklyn 99 let me again recommend The Good Place

I have it on my list for after this. It was a coin toss between TGP and B99 after I bounced off of Arrested Development.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2020, 02:04:38 PM
I like Gina. I like weird characters being weird in my shows. :)

Oddly, the show I'm most reminded of is Taxi - a NY workplace comedy that's more of an ensemble piece (at least so far).

Weird is fine, but I found her to be annoying.  But to each their own.

And if you're going as far back as Taxi I would think the better comparison would be Barney Miller - I've watched a few episodes of on Youtube and it was a pretty funny show.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2020, 02:07:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2020, 01:56:09 PMAnd if you like Brooklyn 99 let me again recommend The Good Place

I have it on my list for after this. It was a coin toss between TGP and B99 after I bounced off of Arrested Development.
I think B99 is a better palate cleanser because TGP, like Arrested Development, isn't for everyone (I bailed after one and a half seasons :blush:).
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 27, 2020, 02:13:09 PM
I think B99 is a better palate cleanser because TGP, like Arrested Development, isn't for everyone (I bailed after one and a half seasons :blush:).

Just curious what you didn't like about it.  You certainly don't have to justify your preferences, just curious.  I've mentioned I'm slowly doing a re-watch of the show.  On said rewatch I am finding the show feels like it's spinning its wheels in season 3 / first part of 4, but the first season and a half were really good, and it stuck a good satisfying conclusion like few series ever have.

Were you spoiled for the big first season reveal, or did you see it coming?

Syt

I've also put Glow on my watch list, since I really liked Allison Brie's work in Community.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2020, 01:56:09 PMAnd this also reminds me I really should watch Parks and Rec, which Schur also wrote for.

As you're a conservative public servant, I want you to watch it and then tell me if you prefer Leslie or Ron.

garbon

Gina was one of the best bits!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2020, 02:18:18 PM
Just curious what you didn't like about it.  You certainly don't have to justify your preferences, just curious.  I've mentioned I'm slowly doing a re-watch of the show.  On said rewatch I am finding the show feels like it's spinning its wheels in season 3 / first part of 4, but the first season and a half were really good, and it stuck a good satisfying conclusion like few series ever have.

Were you spoiled for the big first season reveal, or did you see it coming?
I don't know to be honest. I enjoyed the first season a lot and then found myself just enjoying episodes less and less once it got into the second season until I stopped. It wasn't even conscious I just didn't watch an episode and never really felt the urge to pick it up again.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on November 27, 2020, 02:28:57 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2020, 01:56:09 PMAnd this also reminds me I really should watch Parks and Rec, which Schur also wrote for.

As you're a conservative public servant, I want you to watch it and then tell me if you prefer Leslie or Ron.
A conservative public servant in the Frozen North - he'll prefer Ron :P
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 27, 2020, 02:30:04 PM

But what about Leslie's utmost dedication for the public good?  :sleep:

Barrister

So I've never sat down and watched Parks and Rec, but I have seen a few videos of compilations of Ron Swanson's funniest bits on that show. :blush:

Grey Fox

I'm a Linetti fan. Altho, she's like a super hyper version of me in a office context, I'm a little biased.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2020, 02:43:26 PM

So I've never sat down and watched Parks and Rec, but I have seen a few videos of compilations of Ron Swanson's funniest bits on that show. :blush:

:lol: Any favourite quote already?