Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2020, 05:20:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2020, 05:13:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2020, 04:54:19 PM
Yeah I thought what might speak to you wasn't the convenience store angle, but the religion angle.  I also had a feeling the accent was pretty wonky but what do I know?

As to the convenience store angle, my experience has been they are usually in shitty neighborhoods and the workers are protected by bulletproof glass and engage in an unending war of attrition with their customers.  Not brightly lit places where they engage in inoffensive middle of the road sitcom banter with the colorful characters that pass through.

But then again maybe it's different in Canada.

Toronto is pretty gentrified.  It being quite large and brightly lit is probably just a necessity because of needing to shoot a TV show there.

But now that I think about it, the gentrified neighbourhoods probably mean increased rents... :unsure:

I live in a pretty expensive neighborhood - convenience stores are still reasonably common. There is one two short blocks from my house.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

There are convenience stores everywhere. Probably more conversation in the rural ones.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2020, 04:43:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2020, 04:38:03 PM
Yeah he did. Edward, the aspiring media moghul, married somebody named Sophie who I had never heard of. Despite her name she is not French, but nobody's perfect.
I'd never thought of Sophie as a French name :hmm:
euh... yes, it is... :mellow: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-Sophie_(Qu%C3%A9bec)https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine-Sophie_Barat

Just like Gil/Gilles was a Normand name that became an English name over time.  And many, many, many other "British" names, I guess.
It's hard to tell by the names over here, 'cause so many of our names were frenchified versions of British names that were originally anglicized from French names.

P.S. Before Duque comes around: at its core, it was a Greek noun for grace before becoming a saint's name and a personal name ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2020, 04:53:26 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2020, 04:52:32 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2020, 04:50:27 PM
Andrew. Edward's the youngest getting bullied at school.

OK, then back to square one.

Edward is the one I have not a single memory of.

Yeah, me neither, I was not aware he existed until this conversation.
That's why you're practically French and not practically Canadian.  :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 23, 2020, 06:03:45 PM
As to the convenience store angle, my experience has been they are usually in shitty neighborhoods and the workers are protected by bulletproof glass and engage in an unending war of attrition with their customers.  Not brightly lit places where they engage in inoffensive middle of the road sitcom banter with the colorful characters that pass through.

I have literally never seen a convenience store like you describe in Toronto; my guess is that the retail experience is simply different here.
Lately, I have seen a lot of convenience stores where workers are protected by a glass. ;) :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: viper37 on November 23, 2020, 07:57:36 PMeuh... yes, it is... :mellow: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-Sophie_(Qu%C3%A9bec)https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madeleine-Sophie_Barat

Just like Gil/Gilles was a Normand name that became an English name over time.  And many, many, many other "British" names, I guess.
It's hard to tell by the names over here, 'cause so many of our names were frenchified versions of British names that were originally anglicized from French names.

P.S. Before Duque comes around: at its core, it was a Greek noun for grace before becoming a saint's name and a personal name ;)
Sorry I didn't mean that it's not a French name at all but I've just never thought of it as particularly French - it's been fully adopted into British (and Irish) names. Whereas American maybe hear it and think it's French.

I've never heard of a real person called Gil/Gilles/Giles - just poshos on TV :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on November 23, 2020, 08:03:21 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 23, 2020, 06:03:45 PM

I have literally never seen a convenience store like you describe in Toronto; my guess is that the retail experience is simply different here.
Lately, I have seen a lot of convenience stores where workers are protected by a glass. ;) :P

Heh there is that! 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2020, 08:06:01 PM
Sorry I didn't mean that it's not a French name at all but I've just never thought of it as particularly French - it's been fully adopted into British (and Irish) names. Whereas American maybe hear it and think it's French.

Next you will claim Louis is not French or something and the Brits have adopted it as well...

Oh right...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

:lol:

Louis = French pronunciation. Lewis = Louis in America (although it's mainly Scottish - I don't think I've ever met an English person called Lewis but it's really common in Scotland) :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Heard on NPR that The Queen's Gambit had 62 million viewers.

That sets a new record for "limited run series," which is not a very impressive category.

And that's the reason you Poms can't call a season a series, because the whole shebang is a series.

"Did you watch series two of the new miniseries?"  That's retarded.

Sheilbh

Doesn't a limited series or a miniseries only have a set number of episodes - normally one series?

That's what makes it mini or limited, no? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

There's not a hard rule but generally:

miniseries: only one season, episode count is shorter than an usual full season (something like 3 eps or 6 eps outside of the UK)
limited series: only one season, episode count amounts to a full season (8, 10, 13, 22 eps).

Note that many minis/limiteds get extra seasons if they are really successful (producers don't like leaving money on the table...)

About calling it seasons/series. In the US broadcasters used to divvy up the year in seasons: winter-fall, spring-summer. So a "season" of a show would be enough episodes to cover that season (26, later 22) or half of it (13). This was done to fit the timings (it no longer works that way) of how ratings were surveyed and the prices for commercials allocated back in the old times. This practice doesn't exist in the UK so the word "season" doesn't make sense for them. It has been imported to many parts of the world, though. Many broadcasters still plan their programming using the yearly seasons, since it fits the audience's life rythms (i.e. you release hot shows in the autumn after people have returned from holidays, and wrap them up before the winter holidays).

Note that streaming broadcasters don't really plan that way anymore. For them the relevant metrics are giving enough product every month to attract/retain subscribers.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 24, 2020, 03:34:03 AM
Doesn't a limited series or a miniseries only have a set number of episodes - normally one series?

Limited and mini are different.  The Queen's Gambit was limited because it only had one block of 8 shows: one season. 

The Crown is a miniseries.  So far it's had four seasons.

Miniseries are called miniseries because they have shorter runs than olde schoole broadcast series.  20 shows in one season, something like that.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 24, 2020, 03:51:56 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 24, 2020, 03:34:03 AM

Limited and mini are different.  The Queen's Gambit was limited because it only had one block of 8 shows: one season. 

The Crown is a miniseries.  So far it's had four seasons.

Miniseries are called miniseries because they have shorter runs than olde schoole broadcast series.  20 shows in one season, something like that.

This was different from my understanding.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

The Crown isn't a miniseries. It's a series.

Although I take your point. It's a series made up of series :hmm:

QuoteAbout calling it seasons/series. In the US broadcasters used to divvy up the year in seasons: winter-fall, spring-summer. So a "season" of a show would be enough episodes to cover that season (26, later 22) or half of it (13). This was done to fit the timings (it no longer works that way) of how ratings were surveyed and the prices for commercials allocated back in the old times. This practice doesn't exist in the UK so the word "season" doesn't make sense for them. It has been imported to many parts of the world, though. Many broadcasters still plan their programming using the yearly seasons, since it fits the audience's life rythms (i.e. you release hot shows in the autumn after people have returned from holidays, and wrap them up before the winter holidays).
While in the UK the Christmas Special (often in the middle of a series) is a big deal - but, for us, weirdly absent in US show :lol:

And the winter tends to be the point of peak miniseries - Dracula, Poirot (or any other Agatha Christie) etc - and the launch of a new series of something like Dr Who. Autumn is the preserve of reality shows now - Great British Bake Off, Strictly, Masterchef etc.

I've no idea how it happened here.
Let's bomb Russia!