TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2020, 04:10:50 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 23, 2020, 09:38:55 AM
:lol:

Do you know about Andrew too? How he's provably not the favourite anymore

I googled a bit and it seems that my memories of the two youngest kind of merged and I couldn't tell them apart.  For example, I thought Andrew had married Fergie.

Didn't he?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Yeah he did. Edward, the aspiring media moghul, married somebody named Sophie who I had never heard of. Despite her name she is not French, but nobody's perfect.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2020, 04:38:03 PM
Yeah he did. Edward, the aspiring media moghul, married somebody named Sophie who I had never heard of. Despite her name she is not French, but nobody's perfect.
I'd never thought of Sophie as a French name :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

@Beeb

I watched an episode or two at my father's insistence.

One thing I noticed right off the bat is the father is a totally deracinated 3rd gen or so who had to learn to speak with a broken Korean accent and doesn't do a great job.  OTOH they do seem to have cast ethnic Koreans, as opposed to Chinese or Japanese actors.

I can vouch that Korean Christians are pretty culty and freaky.

I also found it pretty lame.

If you want to a much better take on the same topic, check out the book "My Korean Deli."  White boy in NYC marries into Korean family, takes over running the convenience store.  Nonfictional.  White boy leaves a job working with George Plimpton on Paris Review.

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2020, 04:48:57 PM
Woops.

Which one was the helicopter pilot?
Andrew. Edward's the youngest getting bullied at school.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2020, 04:43:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 23, 2020, 04:38:03 PM
I'd never thought of Sophie as a French name :hmm:

It is Sophia but Frenchified.

If somebody is named Sophie it doesn't mean they are French but it is French enough that I will at least check  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2020, 04:50:27 PM

OK, then back to square one.

Edward is the one I have not a single memory of.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2020, 04:52:32 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2020, 04:50:27 PM

OK, then back to square one.

Edward is the one I have not a single memory of.

Yeah, me neither, I was not aware he existed until this conversation.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2020, 04:47:52 PM
@Beeb

I watched an episode or two at my father's insistence.

One thing I noticed right off the bat is the father is a totally deracinated 3rd gen or so who had to learn to speak with a broken Korean accent and doesn't do a great job.  OTOH they do seem to have cast ethnic Koreans, as opposed to Chinese or Japanese actors.

I can vouch that Korean Christians are pretty culty and freaky.

I also found it pretty lame.

If you want to a much better take on the same topic, check out the book "My Korean Deli."  White boy in NYC marries into Korean family, takes over running the convenience store.  Nonfictional.  White boy leaves a job working with George Plimpton on Paris Review.

Yeah I thought what might speak to you wasn't the convenience store angle, but the religion angle.  I also had a feeling the accent was pretty wonky but what do I know?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2020, 04:54:19 PM
Yeah I thought what might speak to you wasn't the convenience store angle, but the religion angle.  I also had a feeling the accent was pretty wonky but what do I know?

As to the convenience store angle, my experience has been they are usually in shitty neighborhoods and the workers are protected by bulletproof glass and engage in an unending war of attrition with their customers.  Not brightly lit places where they engage in inoffensive middle of the road sitcom banter with the colorful characters that pass through.

But then again maybe it's different in Canada.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2020, 05:13:01 PM

As to the convenience store angle, my experience has been they are usually in shitty neighborhoods and the workers are protected by bulletproof glass and engage in an unending war of attrition with their customers.  Not brightly lit places where they engage in inoffensive middle of the road sitcom banter with the colorful characters that pass through.

Toronto is pretty gentrified.  It being quite large and brightly lit is probably just a necessity because of needing to shoot a TV show there.

But now that I think about it, the gentrified neighbourhoods probably mean increased rents... :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on November 23, 2020, 05:20:31 PM
Toronto is pretty gentrified.  It being quite large and brightly lit is probably just a necessity because of needing to shoot a TV show there.

But now that I think about it, the gentrified neighbourhoods probably mean increased rents... :unsure:
But everyone still needs a convenience store, surely?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 23, 2020, 05:35:03 PM
But everyone still needs a convenience store, surely?

Not if you have a gas station or supermarket handy.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 23, 2020, 05:13:01 PM

I have literally never seen a convenience store like you describe in Toronto; my guess is that the retail experience is simply different here.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius