News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 18, 2020, 09:28:13 AM
The Crown is probably my favorite thing on Netflix but every time I watch an episode I think to myself "Why haven't the Brits rid themselves of this ghastly family yet?"  :bowler:

If you are British and in doubt, look back to cca. 1880 and see if the thing was in place or not. If yes, it is good and should be kept.

Sheilbh

The Crown is probably my favorite thing on Netflix but every time I watch an episode I think to myself "Why haven't the Brits rid themselves of this ghastly family yet?"  :bowler:
Agree. Admittedly I feel that most of the time.

QuoteEpisode 2 of this current season gave me 100% that feeling.
Yes. Impressive TV to make Thatcher an empathetic character :lol:

I don't know how true that episode is but Thatcher absolutely hated their annual visit to holiday with the royals in Balmoral. She dreaded it every year and noted how much time and effort they would spend trying to make sure they followed all of the very detailed and lengthy protocols and traditions.

But then the experience of trying to adjust for other people is something the royals have never really experienced <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I feel as monarchies go, the Danes seem to have one of the more chill and relaxed royal families.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I love our monarchy. Especially since it never comes here.

Getting rid of the monarchy for the Brits would be pretty bad since they would have to write so much more stuff down.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on November 18, 2020, 09:50:59 AM
I feel as monarchies go, the Danes seem to have one of the more chill and relaxed royal families.

In a democracy you get the royal family you deserve.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2020, 09:47:24 AM
Agree. Admittedly I feel that most of the time.

Sames.

Though I will confess to a crush on the actress playing Princess Anne.  :wub:

Finished the season, and on the earlier Di question...[spoiler]I think they portrayal was a healthy balance of a person that is deeply flawed, makes many bad decisions...some understandable, some not...but primarily perhaps more as a person to be pitied, with a small dose of sympathy.  Someone who blindly strived to inject themselves into a terrible family situation for selfish motives, and never really realized that they weren't equipped (if anyone really is) to handle it.  For the Charles character, I thought it was pretty well done how they made it so that you can both sympathize with his desire to be with what he sees as his true love, but also see what a wretched person he is, and that being the cause of many of his own problems. [/spoiler]

Admiral Yi

This is the first season when the royals have been portrayed as snobby dickheads IMO.  I can't think of any scenes in prior seasons where they behaved as badly as they did with the Thatchers, or even more so, with Diane's curtsyiing "test."  Especially Liz.  Before she's always been shown as making an effort to put people at their ease; this season she just stands aside smirking while people are humiliated.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 18, 2020, 02:08:29 PM

So you like the beehive. :perv:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 18, 2020, 02:08:29 PM
:lol: Princess Anne is the only royal I like :blush:

QuoteFinished the season, and on the earlier Di question...[spoiler]I think they portrayal was a healthy balance of a person that is deeply flawed, makes many bad decisions...some understandable, some not...but primarily perhaps more as a person to be pitied, with a small dose of sympathy.  Someone who blindly strived to inject themselves into a terrible family situation for selfish motives, and never really realized that they weren't equipped (if anyone really is) to handle it.  For the Charles character, I thought it was pretty well done how they made it so that you can both sympathize with his desire to be with what he sees as his true love, but also see what a wretched person he is, and that being the cause of many of his own problems. [/spoiler]
[spoiler]Agreed. And I think with Charles - he was a really bad person in this situation. There are circumstances with his family. But he courted and married someone about 15 years younger than him with the full intent of carrying on an affair throughout their marriage. There can be a bit of sympathy for that, but it's ultimately really unpleasant, cruel behaviour.[/spoiler]

QuoteThis is the first season when the royals have been portrayed as snobby dickheads IMO.  I can't think of any scenes in prior seasons where they behaved as badly as they did with the Thatchers, or even more so, with Diane's curtsyiing "test."  Especially Liz.  Before she's always been shown as making an effort to put people at their ease; this season she just stands aside smirking while people are humiliated.
I think it's probably just arc - and she did make everyone have dinner over an hour early (the royals have drinks at 6pm and dinner at 8.15pm).

50s and 60s Liz, Margaret and Philip are the young royals having to fight the "establishment" royals/household to modernise their position and behaviour. But even that's a gap with the real world.

70s and 80s they are the establishment royals, the entire institution's been shaped by them now and they're either bending or breaking their kids and outsiders - and it's clashing with the real world (Aberfan).

It all lines up for the next (final?) two series when the royals were never less popular than in the 90s - ending with Diana's death which forces the royals into full contact with a now very different country and it almost brings them down.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I'm annoyed they decided not to include Anne's coolest biographical event in the show.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2020, 03:40:48 PM
I'm annoyed they decided not to include Anne's coolest biographical event in the show.

I assume you're referring to the attempted kidnapping?

Princess Anne probably owes the casting directors the biggest debt of gratitude out of all the royals.  She hit every branch of that damn tree on the way down.

HVC

Young Princess Anne was ok. She definitely had more flattering angles though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Flattering Angles are the best.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2020, 02:16:47 PM
This is the first season when the royals have been portrayed as snobby dickheads IMO.  I can't think of any scenes in prior seasons where they behaved as badly as they did with the Thatchers, or even more so, with Diane's curtsyiing "test."  Especially Liz.  Before she's always been shown as making an effort to put people at their ease; this season she just stands aside smirking while people are humiliated.

It is the end of the age of deference.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 18, 2020, 04:30:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 18, 2020, 03:40:48 PM

I assume you're referring to the attempted kidnapping?
I thought he meant the time she told the press to "naff orf" :lol:

Apparently her personal protection officer's automatic jammed during the kidnapping which resulted in British armed police using revolvers for the next several years.
Let's bomb Russia!