And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 05, 2018, 09:18:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2018, 09:27:26 AM
You are past hope because of the way you have expressed your meandering logic regarding why Martin would have written a script not because of who you are.

I see Weasel Mode is fully engaged now.

First Rule of Holes.

:huh:

Saying you made a stupid argument is an ad hom? 

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2018, 10:49:54 AM
I wish they kept Avarasala's language from the books. She swears like a sailor and it works for her character very well. But you know, parental ratings.

She does a fair amount of swearing in the show as well.

derspiess

Quote from: Savonarola on June 01, 2018, 10:50:12 AM
Why We Fight: The Battle of Russia (1943)

Deceitful American Fascist film maker Frank Capra delivers truthful account of glorious Russian peoples eternal struggle against oppression.  Onward to radiant future guided by genius leader Comrade Stalin.

;)

This is from a series of US propaganda films made during the Second World War; all directed by Frank Capra.  This one was narrated by Walter Huston.  The film one goes way out of its way to show that the Ruskies are just like Americans (we lynch blacks, they gun down Kulaks; we're like brothers.)  They also completely ignore politics (the word "Communist" is never used; though the Russian Orthodox Church :pope: is depicted :unsure:).  They give a build up to Hitler's invasion but ignore the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, partition of Poland, occupation of the Baltic countries, and Winter War (though they do mention Finns fighting on the German side; there's just no explanation given as to why.)  The film covers the fighting up to the German defeat at the Battle of Stalingrad.  The film makes it sound like the Siege of Leningrad was over; but I think the Germans were there until 1944 (although I don't know how effective the siege was at that point.)

I learned that, at the time, Russians were referred to as "Great Russians" and Ukrainians were referred to as "Little Russians."

I watched the hell out of the Why We Fight films when I was younger.  Brilliantly-produced propaganda, capped off with Disney-animated maps.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 06, 2018, 11:11:38 AM
I wish they kept Avarasala's language from the books. She swears like a sailor and it works for her character very well. But you know, parental ratings.

adds to her character. These aren't teen books, besides most teens can cuss better than adults.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Haven't seen the 3rd season yet (not available over here yet), it's true that they let her "fuck" a bit more in the second season, but her language in the book is better.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2018, 11:22:03 AM

Haven't seen the 3rd season yet (not available over here yet), it's true that they let her "fuck" a bit more in the second season, but her language in the book is better.

They let her go in the 3rd season wihen the shit really starts hitting the fan. 

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on June 06, 2018, 11:22:03 AM

IIRC she lets some fly. She drops F-bombs way more in the books.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 06, 2018, 11:10:09 AM

I see Double Weasel Mode is now fully engaged.

First Rule of Holes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2018, 05:43:19 PM

First Rule of Holes.

Consider this my last communication with you.  It is simply not worth it.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 06, 2018, 06:46:18 PM

Consider yourself congratulated for having finally obeyed the First Rule of Holes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 06, 2018, 06:46:18 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 06, 2018, 05:43:19 PM

First Rule of Holes.

Honestly, I'm surprised you engaged that long. He gets off on this, you know?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on June 06, 2018, 07:04:20 PM
Honestly, I'm surprised you engaged that long. He gets off on this, you know?

Exactly.  When people say stupid things, and then double down on them, I'm going to play them along.  It's fun watching them dance the Flamenco on their crank. That's what Languish is about.

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

The First Rule of Holes: Don't argue with Grumbler.
The Second Rule of Holes: If you find yourself arguing with Grumbler, stop.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 06, 2018, 09:37:20 PM
The First Rule of Holes: Don't take dumb positions when you argue with Grumbler.
The Second Rule of Holes: If you find yourself taking dumb positions when arguing with Grumbler, stop.

Fixed that for you.

Every season of GoT where the show followed the books, the show was excellent and GRRM wrote a script.  The only seasons that weren't excellent and in which GRRM didn't write a script were ones in which the show went beyond the books.  It is hardly "hopeless" to argue that, had GRRM finished the books, the show would have been better and GRRM would have written a script for each season.

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2018, 11:16:26 AM
I watched the hell out of the Why We Fight films when I was younger.  Brilliantly-produced propaganda, capped off with Disney-animated maps.

Heh, I didn't realize those were Disney maps, but now that you say that it does seem obvious.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock