News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

More fake news by the 1940s lamestream media!

So do they call the USSR 'Russia' then?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Americans had a thing for Russian cock long before Trump.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2018, 10:55:37 AM

They alternate between Russia/Russian and USSR/Soviet.  This is important for propaganda purposes since they're trying to connect Russian history and civilization to the current conflict (and the Germans did their part by destroying both Tolstoy's and Tchaikovsky's homes.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Quote from: The Brain on June 01, 2018, 10:56:56 AM

Speaking of Americans, watched the season finale yesterday. Great ending to a very under-rated TV show.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

American Horror Story, S5 (Hotel). Much better than S3, as good as S2 (I skipped S4 for now and haven't seen S1 yet). I liked the March character, and that the actor got a fun part where he could dial it up to 11.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on June 01, 2018, 12:09:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2018, 10:55:37 AM

They alternate between Russia/Russian and USSR/Soviet.  This is important for propaganda purposes since they're trying to connect Russian history and civilization to the current conflict (and the Germans did their part by destroying both Tolstoy's and Tchaikovsky's homes.)

Tolstoy was pretty down on German generals IIRC.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 01, 2018, 09:55:00 AM
And yet, that is not what happened in the books or the show when based on the books.  :hmm:

The book series is finished?  :huh:

The show has like eight episodes left.  If you are expecting it to continue character-building at this point, you don't understand how stories are told.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Except for the gay stuff, which is all dated and wrong, I'm totally groovin' on Six Feet Under.  Really good characters and dialogue.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2018, 02:54:26 AM
Except for the gay stuff, which is all dated and wrong, I'm totally groovin' on Six Feet Under.  Really good characters and dialogue.

Interesting... I admit that I haven't watched it since it first came out and memories are bit hazy about how all the gay stuff played out. What makes it dated/wrong?

grumbler

Yeah, I really enjoyed that series.  It gets a bit weak in the middle, but finishes strong.  One of the best final episodes ever.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: grumbler on June 02, 2018, 06:56:40 AM

Yeah, I really enjoyed that series.  It gets a bit weak in the middle, but finishes strong.  One of the best final episodes ever.

yeah the series finale was probably the best ever.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

KRonn

Quote from: Josephus on June 01, 2018, 12:36:36 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 01, 2018, 10:56:56 AM

Speaking of Americans, watched the season finale yesterday. Great ending to a very under-rated TV show.
Yeah, very good series finale. That was a great show, great acting by the cast. I was wondering how it could end as it could have gone several ways.

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on June 02, 2018, 07:21:04 AM
yeah the series finale was probably the best ever.

Babylon 5 :contract:

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 02, 2018, 08:20:31 AM
Breaking Bad. :contract:

That also was an awesome finale! I've watched the BB series probably three times, just loved the show.