And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on May 29, 2018, 08:09:14 PM
And both TFA and TLJ were varying degrees of good.  :hmm:

The worst that Disney can be accused of is taking the SW IP and making merely competent films.

Last Jedi was amazing, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

I'm a defender of TLJ's quality, but even I wouldn't venture to say "amazing". Unfortunately, none of the new ones have met that level of praise in my view. TLJ had some issues. Rogue One had some issues. TFA is a really derivative work. I haven't seen Solo yet, but the word out there isn't good either.

I guess we fight now! :Canuck: :pope:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Why the smilies are case-sensitive is beyond me...
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2018, 09:46:23 PM

The worst that Disney can be accused of is taking the SW IP and making merely competent films.

I say otherwise. You may fight me all you want. Star Wars is lame as shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Valmy is out of the will.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2018, 10:34:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 29, 2018, 09:46:23 PM

I say otherwise. You may fight me all you want. Star Wars is lame as shit.

:ultra:

How can you be my brother from another mother and stay stupid shit like that?!?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Habbaku on May 29, 2018, 09:53:37 PM
Why the smilies are case-sensitive is beyond me...
because I copied it over from old forum software, which had it that way. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Enjoyed Solo, Valmy is a reprehensible creep, and Rosanne is a idiotic racist cunt.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Larch

I went to Solo last night, I found it enjoyable but not exactly memorable. Apparently Alden Ehrhenwhatever is signed for 3 movies, so there might be more young Han Solo adventures in the future (even if this one seems to be destined for an unremarkable box office run), and they'd be fools not to do at least another one with a heavy presence of Donald Glover, who totally steals every scene he's at.

Liep

Quote from: The Larch on May 30, 2018, 04:13:01 AM
I went to Solo last night, I found it enjoyable but not exactly memorable. Apparently Alden Ehrhenwhatever is signed for 3 movies, so there might be more young Han Solo adventures in the future (even if this one seems to be destined for an unremarkable box office run), and they'd be fools not to do at least another one with a heavy presence of Donald Glover, who totally steals every scene he's at.

How was Alden E.? He doesn't come across as particularly charming or Han Solo-esque in the trailer. Also, how much younger is he suppose to be in this movie?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on May 30, 2018, 05:02:43 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 30, 2018, 04:13:01 AM

How was Alden E.? He doesn't come across as particularly charming or Han Solo-esque in the trailer. Also, how much younger is he suppose to be in this movie?

He's fine. He's no Harrison Ford, but of corse nobody is. The script does maybe too many winks at his iconic lines (there are a couple or three "I know"s, which IMO weakens the impact of the line) to reinforce the link between the young and old Hans.

As for the age, I wouldn't know for sure. He starts the movie as a street hoodlum, joins the Imperial Academy and then there's a 3 year flash-forward. The actor is 28, so I'd say it's about right. AFAIK it's never made fully clear how many years before A New Hope the story is set. Are there any references in the classic films about for how long he's had the Millenium Falcon, been adventuring with Chewbacca or for how long he has known Lando?

Valmy

Quote from: katmai on May 30, 2018, 01:30:02 AM
Enjoyed Solo, Valmy is a reprehensible creep, and Rosanne is a idiotic racist cunt.

Not sure what my personal failings have to do with the mediocrity and lameness of non-Kotor post-1983 Star Wars -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2018, 07:15:46 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2018, 07:08:09 PM
Disney shares dropped 2.4% on shitty Solo box office.

Nobody has made a good Star Wars movie since 1983. Disney might have bought high on it.

:hmm:

They bought low, very very low.

Millions of 4 to 10 years old are watching the cartoons & buying the toys. You old nostalgia filled Gen Xers are the ones that keep crying. You guys need to stop thinking that SW is only the Motion Pictures.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

To me the excitment has gone out of Star Wars movies. Used to be there were years, sometimes decades, between Star Wars releases. Now, it's like less than a year since the Last Jedi and this Han Solo one.

Also, that I'm turning 52 may have something to do with it.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Valmy on May 30, 2018, 06:25:12 AM
Quote from: katmai on May 30, 2018, 01:30:02 AM

Not sure what my personal failings have to do with the mediocrity and lameness of non-Kotor post-1983 Star Wars -_-

See the bright side: at least Return of the Jedi is no longer criticised as being the worst of the saga.  :P