And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: The Larch on March 05, 2018, 05:38:15 AM
So, nobody cares about the Oscars here?  :P

I saw Kobe won one; I didn't realize that the #MeToo movement was already over.

;)

I didn't see any of the Splash remake or "Three Billboards".  I did see the majority of the documentaries; Icarus was a good choice.  (Was that Netflix's first winner, or have they won something before?)  I saw the majority of the animated features as well; Coco was the best of what I saw.  I didn't think much of "Remember Me" from Coco; I would have picked "This Is Me" from "Greatest Showman."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

I haven't seen Shape of Water yet. Going tomorrow. Haven't seen Call Me By Your Name or the Phantom Thread either, I'll eventually catch them on domestic release.

3 Billboards is fun, but didn't think it was nothing more than Tarantino-lite. McDormand makes the movie though, not surprised she won.

Dunkirk was a visual feast, but didn't think it had much going for it character or story-wise, so certainly not a "best movie" candidate in my eyes. Wouldn't have begrudged a best director win (again, haven't seen SoW yet).

I loved Get Out, although I think the ending was the weakest part of the film. Glad it got recognition though, great horror is hard to find these days.

Darkest Hour was a formulaic Hollywood biography, and usually the lead is the only thing that can make those movies bearable to me. Oldman succeeded in that. Incidentally, I'd love if they made a Churchill movie/series about his non-WWII times. I.e. His ups and downs during WWI are great material.

Coco is awesome.

I think that covers most of the front-runners. The awards were pretty split which matches my perception of the candidates (again, there's a few I haven't seen yet).

celedhring

Finished the first season of Ash vs The Evil Dead. The season finale features some pretty great 1980s-style horror. The whole 3 episodes once they get back to the cabin really feel like Evil Dead 4 and are the best part of the season.

Savonarola

There's grit and then there is:

True Grit (1969)

John Wayne's (:alberta:) only Academy Award; the trick must be to surround yourself with people who can't act.  (Actually I don't know if Kim Darby can't act, or was just given lines so stupid no one could have made them sound sincere.  Glen Campbell1., on the other hand, was wise to stick with singing after this.)  It's been a long time since I've seen this; I had forgotten Robert Duvall was one of the main villains.  He does a good job playing the straight man to Kim Darby.  Dennis Hopper is also one of the villains; and Jay Silverheels has a cameo as one of the condemned in the beginning.

I saw this on the big screen at the revival house.  The scenery came across much better in that format; especially at the final confrontation.

1.)  CB was critical of his horseback riding skills; but that might not be absolutely necessary for a Rhinestone Cowboy. :alberta:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

I am just about through season two of Van Helsing.   At first I thought it was a cheap vampire/walking dead knock off.  But I have come to really like it.  It has good writing and development of the characters that were in early walking dead seasons.  Also, I like how the vampire's point of view is part of the plot rather than just being the bad guys.

grumbler

Happy 20th anniversary to The Big Lebowski.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/the-coen-brothers-big-lebowski-is-20-a8241731.html

QuoteThe movie's star, Jeff Bridges, one of the finest actors of his generation, is less perplexed. The Oscar winner is on record as saying:

"Someone asked me, 'How would you feel at the end of your career if the role you were most famous for was The Dude?' 'I'd be fucking delighted,' I told him."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Seems like he got his wish.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I hated it when it came out, I was 19 though!   :blush:

It's weird the number of films I love that I hated the first time I saw them.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on March 05, 2018, 02:00:20 AM
Thor Ragnarok, despite its somewhat stealthy release and the suckiness of the Dark World.... Was surprisingly good, even despite the lack of Earth bound action.
Feels like there's a Hulk  film missing though.

Only in Tyr land
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2018, 02:31:31 PM
I am just about through season two of Van Helsing.   At first I thought it was a cheap vampire/walking dead knock off.  But I have come to really like it.  It has good writing and development of the characters that were in early walking dead seasons.  Also, I like how the vampire's point of view is part of the plot rather than just being the bad guys.

Watch the Hellsing OVAs instead.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 06, 2018, 02:31:31 PM

Agreed on all points. I started watching this show from the start and also really like it. Good characters, good story line, good writing.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on March 06, 2018, 04:53:18 PM
Happy 20th anniversary to The Big Lebowski.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/the-coen-brothers-big-lebowski-is-20-a8241731.html

QuoteThe movie's star, Jeff Bridges, one of the finest actors of his generation, is less perplexed. The Oscar winner is on record as saying:

"Someone asked me, 'How would you feel at the end of your career if the role you were most famous for was The Dude?' 'I'd be fucking delighted,' I told him."

Speaking of Jeff Bridges, Sav should watch his version of True Gritt and compare it to Wayne's while they're both fresh in his mind.

1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

I'll go and say that I liked the Coen Brothers' version better. Apparently it's more faithful to the book, too.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on March 06, 2018, 06:25:46 PM
I hated it when it came out, I was 19 though!   :blush:

It's weird the number of films I love that I hated the first time I saw them.

Yeah, that one improved a lot on second viewing for me too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on March 06, 2018, 06:38:18 PM
I'll go and say that I liked the Coen Brothers' version better. Apparently it's more faithful to the book, too.

It definitely is, and is better for sticking to the source material.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien