And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on March 07, 2018, 08:30:34 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on March 07, 2018, 08:12:21 PM
I thought it was a welcome change (and a political point).

:lol:

The joys of being an American. One half of the world thinks we are disgusting and degenerate perverts. The other half thinks we are so against fucking that having a hook-up in a film is considered a bold political statement to break up our puritanical values.

Both right.  We have puritan values to keep repressed our disgusting and degenerate perversions.  We are also self-critical, particularly about our obliviousness to criticism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: frunk on March 08, 2018, 11:02:30 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 08, 2018, 11:00:16 AM

Seems like a natural progression to me.  :hmm:

The ALF school of alien relations?

No, eating pussy first.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Savonarola

Quote from: KRonn on March 08, 2018, 04:35:08 PM
On Kong Skull Island I agree with you. I've said before that the helos all going down was lame; some of them still flew within arm reach of Kong after seeing what was happening to the other helos. Samuel Jackson, or whoever played that character, was over the top gung ho like you say. They should have done a scientific mission rather than a search and destroy, given that they were in such a unique area. That was just more over the top stuff when they could have made a more believable and likeable story.

I agree.  I thought Skull Island was visually imaginative; but the story needed work.  It's much better written than "War for Planet of the Apes," though.

I'm surprised, more than anything, that two studios came up with "Monkey Apocalypse Now" and both thought that was such a great idea that they'd make a big budget movie out of it.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

I saw The Godfather (1972) on the big screen.  I'm not sure it's a lot better in that format; for one thing you can see that Gianni Russo is reacting to punches that are missing him by a good foot and a half.

Still a great movie; one that deserves its legendary status.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on March 09, 2018, 02:09:14 PM
I'm surprised, more than anything, that two studios came up with "Monkey Apocalypse Now" and both thought that was such a great idea that they'd make a big budget movie out of it.

Nothing surprising, or rather nothing would surprise me when one knows that Golan and Globus made two movies about Lambada.

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on March 09, 2018, 02:09:14 PM
I agree.  I thought Skull Island was visually imaginative; but the story needed work.  It's much better written than "War for Planet of the Apes," though.

I can see one studio functionary asking another: "what's literally more fun than a barrel of monkeys?"
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Halfway through season 2 of Jessica Jones already  :blush:

It's very slow burn, it actually feels more like a drama than a superhero thing at this point. It lacks the strong center that Killgrave was - a chilling villain with whom Jessica had a frightening story - heck, so far there's [spoiler]not even a clear villain, the most clear antagonist it's actually her mother[/spoiler]. Writing, dialogue and characters are still pretty great (they really are), but I can see this one not being as popular as the first season. I'm loving it though. 

celedhring

Upon Larchie's recommendation, I've been watching The Good Place here and there. Today I watched the season 1 finale. Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that. Very unusual for sitcoms to have such tight season arcs and changing the premise so much. The setup for season 2 is certainly intriguing.

Maladict

It seems Hugh Laurie and Olivia Colman will take over the lead roles in The Crown. I may have to start watching it.

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on March 11, 2018, 10:37:13 AM
It seems Hugh Laurie and Olivia Colman will take over the lead roles in The Crown. I may have to start watching it.

They only need to bring in Rowan Atkinson and make it Blackadder season 5.

11B4V

Wind River: B+

Bonus for Renner using a Marlin 45-70 and doing a little reloading too.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

KRonn

Quote from: 11B4V on March 11, 2018, 12:13:57 PM
Wind River: B+

Bonus for Renner using a Marlin 45-70 and doing a little reloading too.

Yeah, I liked that movie.

Habbaku

The Death of Stalin was both hilarious and had a happy ending.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on March 11, 2018, 07:31:06 PM
The Death of Stalin was both hilarious and had a happy ending.

Wow that looks amazing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."