News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Star Wars is a multi-billion dollar franchise.  Less room for error than with Star vs. the Forces of Evil
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 10, 2017, 09:51:23 AM
Star Wars is a multi-billion dollar franchise.  Less room for error than with Star vs. the Forces of Evil

Yup. That's why the smaller franchises get more creative license.

The danger though is that the bigger franchises may fossilize completely - recycling the same proven formula too many times.

So far, Disney has walked that line pretty well with the modern Star Wars movies - they recycle many of the same plot points as the originals, but with enough variation that they are kept interesting (and profitable).

But for taking real chances, look to the TV media.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

It looks like the plan is to play it very safe with "main line" Star Wars sequel triology, effectively a shadow reboot (hopefully they will be a little more creative on the last one . . .).  But more flexibility with the spinoff vehicles like Rogue One.  I can live with that - it's a fair price to pay for escaping Lucas prequelification
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on October 10, 2017, 02:33:28 AM
Like [spoiler]killing off every main character, which precludes any kind of sequel[/spoiler]
that usually does not deter Hollywood. 
[spoiler]I can think of a few sequels without the characters of the first.
Think Predator.  How many sequels?  Never the same people.[/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Emily has gotten me into watching The Great British Baking Show.

I hope every one of the winners spends at least a portion of their winnings getting their teeth fixed. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on October 10, 2017, 01:34:32 PM

I hope every one of the winners spends at least a portion of their winnings getting their teeth fixed. :(

Man am I glad Courtney got tired of those stupid reality shows she was always watching early in our relationship. Now I get stupid scripted shows, but those are still like 1000% better.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Caliga on October 10, 2017, 01:34:32 PM

How you know you're whipped.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

I actually like this show. :blush:

In the last episode I watched this one dude fucked up the ice cream for his baked alaska and threw it into the rubbish bin, and at the end presented his bin for judging.  What an idiot  :lol:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Saw the first 2 episodes of Marvel's The gifted.

The 1st episode had maybe some hope of a good storyline.  The 2nd episode pretty much crushed that and brought us to a standard television narrative with cliché dialogue, sorta like Hawaii 5-0 and NCIS but with sci-fi elements.

Gonna watch the 3rd one, see if it improves.  I'll work more and watch less tv.

Hawaii 5-0.  Season something.
Same old crap, with 2 interesting characters in less and two new ones, including a gorgeous gal from Montreal.

NCIS.
The characters who went AWOL and found themselves in mortal danger survived their ordeal, none the worst for it.
Just like season 5-7-10 and 11.
Unlike these seasons, the characters needing a psych eval sorta went there of their own free will, not resisting at all.
Nice twist.  ;)  :P

Westworld
Talk about a fucked up show.  I don't think I could watch this one episode at a time, it really becomes coherent as you watch it, one after the other.  I think if I had had to wait one week to see the next episode, I might have stopped at the 1st.
Really good television there, I'm hooked for the next season(s).

Outlander
Finally managed to finish season 2.  Not really my type of show.  But I'll watch the 1st episode of S3 just to see the Battle of Culloden.  After that, I'm gone.

Marvel Inhumans
Watched 5-8 minutes of the first episode.  That was enough to convince me I'm not gonna like it.  Extremely cheap special effects, unoriginal narrative, under average acting.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Speaking of Outlander I surfed some movie the other night also called Outlander.  James Caraviezel (sp  :wacko:) travels back in time with his ray gun and Underarmour space suit to a village of English speaking Vikings to hunt down some kind of murderous alien tentacle beast.

Eddie Teach

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on October 10, 2017, 01:48:13 PM
Marvel Inhumans
Watched 5-8 minutes of the first episode.  That was enough to convince me I'm not gonna like it.  Extremely cheap special effects, unoriginal narrative, under average acting.

I dunno, Nazis on the moon has been done, but making them the "good guys" is a different twist.   ;)

Malthus

Has anyone seen the new Blade Runner yet?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

No posts in this thread about it. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: Malthus on October 10, 2017, 02:55:37 PM
Has anyone seen the new Blade Runner yet?
Looking at box office from weekend probably not.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son