News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zoupa

Quote from: Valmy on January 03, 2017, 09:08:28 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 03, 2017, 09:02:33 AM
I heard the argument that A New Hope was such a success, because Lucas was scared shitless that it might fail, so he was constantly second guessing himself, getting outside opinions, having people work over the dialogue etc.

Something supposedly very much absent in the prequels.

The Prequels were about how a once good man was corrupted by power and ruined the Star Wars galaxy.

There's a lot of good stuff in the prequels. For a fanboy like myself especially.

I think the dialogue was awful throughout, but the script for episodes 2-3 are decent.

celedhring

It wasn't.

Yeah, it was a good story to tell. But it was told abysmally.

Admiral Yi

I think the backstory was too cluttered, and trying to explain which group was doing what and how to whom required too much exposition.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on January 03, 2017, 05:12:16 PM
Meh - the man's not a great director (though isn't American Grafitti supposed to be great?).

No, no it isn't.

QuoteBut a "shitty storyteller"?  He was still involved in producing and writing Empire and Jedi, as well as a little thing called Indiana Jones.  Hell I even found Howard the Duck and Willow to be amusing in their own way.

And some of the ideas, and some of the visuals, for the prequels were pretty good.  He just should have stayed away from the director's chair.

Yes, a shitty storyteller. The director is the storyteller.  Involved in producing and writing is not directing. 

Howard the Duck failed on multiple levels, namely no interspecies hot fuck fuck scenes with Lea Thompson while she was still hot. And Willow? You're only one of two people that's ever mentioned that massive shitburger Willow since 1993;  the midget's mother is the other one.  What are you, trapped in a family-owned, pre-franchised VHS rental store up there?

QuoteEdit: For what it's worth, Lucas was twice nominated for the Best Director Academy Award - for American Grafitti and Star Wars.

Big fucking deal. Out of Africa.  7 Academy Awards.  But it is telling that the one Academy Award that Star Wars won was for film editing--the aforementioned former Mrs. Lucas.  Like I said, professionals. 

Eddie Teach

Willow was a fun movie. And Joanna Whaley-Kilmer was super hot.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 03, 2017, 08:06:59 PM
And Joanna Whaley-Kilmer was super hot.

Watch Scandal if you haven't already.

Extra bonus feature: Bridgette Fonda's boobs.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2017, 08:12:53 PM

You don't have to be Caliga about it, but damn.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 03, 2017, 08:19:18 PM
Boobs on ABC? :yeahright:

The movie, not the show.  About the Profumo affair.  Gandalf wears a bald wig and plays Profumo.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 03, 2017, 08:18:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2017, 08:12:53 PM

You don't have to be Caliga about it, but damn.
Someone mention boobies.  :huh: :perv:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on January 03, 2017, 05:58:28 PM
There's a lot of good stuff in the prequels. For a fanboy like myself especially.

I think the dialogue was awful throughout, but the script for episodes 2-3 are decent.

With the caveat that I have not actually watched any of them since my initial viewing back when they first came out, I thought they were all wretched. I held Tim personally responsible for convincing me to go see episode 3 after I hated the first two so much. But now I realize it was really my fault for being swayed by his recommendation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on January 03, 2017, 05:12:16 PMHell I even found Howard the Duck and Willow to be amusing in their own way.

BB's credibility shot.

I will grant Willow however...loved it as a kid.  Adult me finds it rather silly/dumb, but still dumb fun.  And agree with ET that JWK was quite the smoking redhead in that film. :wub:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Willow was way overhyped. But it is entertaining as a B-movie.

And yes Val Kilmer's ex was hot in it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."