And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 24, 2016, 03:56:16 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on October 21, 2016, 09:04:36 PM
It bores me. Can't help it. I like my wops in New York.

You've seen Boardwalk Empire, right? That's five seasons straight of that stuff.

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2016, 03:45:10 PM
First one had too much Matthew McConoughey looking pouty and meditative for me.  Like an hour long Buick commercial.

Bah, it wasn't that bad.  Although I loved all the H.P. Lovecraft that worked all season long--right up to the moment they dumped it at the end.

Josquius

Started first episode of Westworld.
Yeah. Its quite cool.
I notice the nerdy black guy from Hunger Games playing the same character :lol:
One thing that is especially nice about it.... it's very very pretty.
Way too many films and TV shows these days are obsessed with making everything dark. This week's Walking Dead for instance was so dark you not hardly see what was going on in parts.
But lots of Westworld is very bright and pretty.
It's good.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

FYI, I am not participating in The Walking Dead Thread, because I still have to catch up with all of Season 6.  :unsure:  So embarrassing.

So, somebody let that thread know, because I'm not going in there. 

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2016, 04:21:20 PM
FYI, I am not participating in The Walking Dead Thread, because I still have to catch up with all of Season 6.  :unsure:  So embarrassing.

So, somebody let that thread know, because I'm not going in there.

Perhaps something for you CdM, BBC now have a lot of old documentary programmes on their iplayer website, last night I saw the first part of Alistair Cooke's 'America' from 1972. In it he recounts his first experience of American in 1932/33 and one of the stories is about the establishment of his friendship with H.L.Mencken.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2016, 03:45:10 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 24, 2016, 04:46:57 AM
You might be the only person in the world who thinks that way.

First one had too much Matthew McConoughey looking pouty and meditative for me.  Like an hour long Buick commercial.

Lincoln :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Planned movie nights while out Elk hunting

Gettysburg
The Man Who Would be King
Omega Man
Zulu Dawn
Rough Riders
Firefly
Mountain Men

Couple more, haven't decided
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on October 24, 2016, 07:11:37 PM
Planned movie nights while out Elk hunting

Gettysburg
The Man Who Would be King
Omega Man
Zulu Dawn
Rough Riders
Firefly
Mountain Men

Couple more, haven't decided

:cool:

And something a little left field, like Laurel and Hardy's 'Way Out West' ? :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Elk hunting?  Gotta take The Great Outdoors with you.   :P

And Southern Comfort.  And Deliverance.  You know, the outdoorsy classics.

Ed Anger

And a army instructional video on clips.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 24, 2016, 07:47:30 PM
And a army instructional video on clips.

Which reminds me: for all the psycho nutcase nonsense the 2nd Amendment types fucking freak the fuck out on when it comes to their autistic bullshit when it comes to the definitions of magazines and clips, you would think they would lose their shit with the sound effects used in movies for weapons, particularly for handguns.
Why does virtually every movie made semi-automatics sound like they're rattling every time they're moved? You'd think those monkeyfucks would get more pissed off over unrealistic portrayals.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoisyGuns

CountDeMoney

QuoteIman Naima Smith
8 hours ago
Netflix to Raise $800 Million in Debt

Netflix announced Monday it plans to raise $800 million of debt in order to finance new original content.

The new debt offering brings the company's long-term debt load to approximately more than $3 billion, according to Business Insider. Netflix's statement highlights that the company "intends to use the net proceeds from this offering for general corporate purposes, which may include content acquisitions, capital expenditures, investments, working capital and potential acquisitions and strategic transactions."

This new plan follows Netflix's letter to shareholders released last week, where the company said its primary goal is to achieve 50 percent original content, accompanied by 1,000 hours of new programming in 2017. The company also estimates an expansion of its content budget to roughly $6 billion in 2017.

In its third quarter, the company announced last week that global streaming revenue totaled $2.2 billion, of which 40 percent was generated abroad. Its operating income amounted to $106 million while net income was $52 million. The company cited the strong influence of the fantastical thriller, Stranger Things, and how its cross-demographic appeal helped distinguish Netflix's original programming. By the time 2016 concludes, the company said, Netflix will have issued approximately 600 hours of original programming.

So rest assured—Eleven will indeed return.

grumbler compliant link--
http://www.theatlantic.com/liveblogs/2016/10/news-today/505124/10241/

celedhring

Imho Netflix will come crashing down like a house of cards, these financials don't make much sense 8 hundred million of debt just to finance programming? Doesn't look sustainable to me.  Although stranger things have happened in the past.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on October 25, 2016, 03:48:50 AM
Imho Netflix will come crashing down like a house of cards, these financials don't make much sense 8 hundred million of debt just to finance programming? Doesn't look sustainable to me.  Although stranger things have happened in the past.

Quick search says they've been doing something like this since at least 2014.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.