News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

There's a new series called Glitch.
It's kind of a Australian version of the rather cool French series Revanants - a show about a bunch of random people suddenly coming back to life in a rural town in Savoy.
The French series was all very strange and philosophical. Very mysterious about what these people were, what they were around for, etc...
The Australian version...
"Oy you, naked guy in the graveyard, are you pissed?"
"Nah mate, I've just come back from the dead."
"Oh, alright then, carry on".
Pretty much.
It seems interesting. More merely influenced by the French show than a scene for scene remake like the American version.
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Quote from: Martinus on October 17, 2016, 10:17:48 AM
Westworld is very good. As with Battlestar Galactica, we are the villains of the story.

I watched all three episodes via on demand yesterday and so far really liking this show. It should be interesting to see how the story line progresses.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tyr on October 18, 2016, 08:08:32 AM
There's a new series called Glitch.
It's kind of a Australian version of the rather cool French series Revanants - a show about a bunch of random people suddenly coming back to life in a rural town in Savoy.

Really liked that - esp first season. Revenants.  Netflix streamable IIRC.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Louis Theroux's Scientology documentary.... not as good as it could have been. But interesting.
There's one moment right at the start where a random woman in a bikini suddenly crashes their interview. Turns out she is called Paz de la Huerta and is a pretty solid real actress.
I can't stop wondering just what the hell that was about.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Rin-Tin-Tin The Lone Defender (1930)

Rin-Tin-Tin stars in his first... :unsure: "Barkie" :unsure: in this poverty row serial production.  Rin-Tin-Tin's master was jumped by bandits just after striking gold, and the only clues as to where the mine is are Rin-Tin-Tin and his master's watch which is supposed to contain a clue to the mines location.  A number of dull chases ensue throughout as everyone chases after either Rin-Tin-Tin or the watch.  The most egregious chase is near the end where the characters wander aimlessly (and without dialogue) around in what's supposed to be a sandstorm for ten minutes. 

Most of the serial is silent; and the dialogue is stilted.  The series features June Marlowe (Miss Crabtree from "Our Gang") as the love interest and perennial serial star Walter Miller as the notorious bandit The Cactus Kid (or is he really?) who speeks weeth ahn outrhay-joos Meh-shee-kahn aksent throughout the film.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

I'm hearing great things about Westworld. Is it Languish approved?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I'm not ready yet to put myself in the loving it column.  They're raising interesting questions about consciousness and depending how they get explored it could be very good.  I get bad juju from the [spoiler]hatchet wielding wraith killers.[/spoiler]

Serious drop off in T&A since episode 1.

HVC

Watching the first episode of westworld. They sure do like the fly theme 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on October 18, 2016, 09:43:37 PM
Watching the first episode of westworld. They sure do like the fly theme

Decay and disease.

mongers

Watched the new Adam Curtis BBC documentary, 'Hyper-normalisation' , a slow burner but worth watching. Available only on BBC iplayer here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04b183c/adam-curtis-hypernormalisation

Though know doubt someone will rip/stream it on youtube soon.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on October 18, 2016, 03:22:45 PM
Turns out she is called Paz de la Huerta and is a pretty solid real actress.
Boardwalk Empire :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Murder (1930)

Alfred Hitchcock's second talkie (after Blackmail) this is obviously a filmed play.  The story is about a murder, a young lady is found near a dead woman, but she doesn't remember anything that just happened.  There's a trial (filled with the usual Hitchcockian psychobabble), she's sentenced to death, but one of the jurors has remorse and sets out to prove her innocence.  At this point the film suddenly turns from a dull filmed play into a Hitchcock thriller; complete with a shocking conclusion.

This is the first film to feature a character narrating his thoughts on film.  Also, since audio-visual synchronization was so primitive in Britain at this point, Hitchcock had to have an orchestra on set to play along as the characters acted.  (Although at this point incidental music was a novelty in any film during this era.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Berkut

Anyone watched "Black Mirror"? CNN did a bit on it...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

frunk

I've seen the first two seasons and the Christmas special.  Great Twilight Zone style show.  Generally people agree each season consists of one great, one good and one lousy episode although they disagree which is which.

I'm looking forward to season 3.