Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on September 17, 2016, 01:40:59 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2016, 01:11:49 PM
Quote from: celedhring on September 17, 2016, 08:52:47 AM
Saw an ad for the new Magnificent Seven movie. It dawned on me that one is a remake of a remake. Hollywood is outdoing itself. :hmm:
Last of the Mohicans is a remake of a silent era movie ;)

No, it's a book adaptation.
1/3 movie, 1/3 book and 1/3 Michael Mann from what I remember.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Watched 'Gravity' followed by John Carpenter's 'The Thing' interesting double bill.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on September 18, 2016, 07:55:17 AM
Watched 'Gravity' followed by John Carpenter's 'The Thing' interesting double bill.

At least you cleansed the palate, and don't have a sour taste of stupid in your mouth.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2016, 09:56:48 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 18, 2016, 07:55:17 AM

At least you cleansed the palate, and don't have a sour taste of stupid in your mouth.

Wait, which one's the stupid one?  Is it Gravity, or is it the one where Wilford Brimley glues together helicopter parts into a spaceship with his leftover oatmeal and insulin?

I mean, The Thing's awesome, but if we're talking great movies that accidentally slice their hands open with just one awful part, it and Gravity are practically next-of-kin.

(Also, it's in the short story, I know.  The short story is not all that great.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Does Gravity have an awful part? It just has lots of very average ones. The movie is visually dazzling, yeah, but so thin.

Ideologue

The thinness is a strength; it's a movie about whether being alive, in and of itself, has any value in the first place.

The stupid part, presumably, is the hallucination, that hammers you over the head with Ryan Stone's case of the Dead Daughter Sads.  I mean, that would be my choice, anyway.

Also, "visually dazzling" is synonymous with "greatest piece of experiential cinema ever made," right? :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on September 19, 2016, 07:03:23 AM
The thinness is a strength; it's a movie about whether being alive, in and of itself, has any value in the first place.

:lol: 

QuoteThe stupid part, presumably, is the hallucination, that hammers you over the head with Ryan Stone's case of the Dead Daughter Sads.  I mean, that would be my choice, anyway.

Awww, that was the sweetest part. :(

QuoteAlso, "visually dazzling" is synonymous with "greatest piece of experiential cinema ever made," right? :P

Needed more Jerry Bruckheimer/Michael Bay slo-mo patriotic montages.  With incredibly uncomfortable close-ups.  To Aerosmith.

Josephus

Fear the Walking dead. I dunno, getting bored with it.

Also, I find the "put walker blood over your body and mix with the walkers" a bit over-used in this series. In the original, you get the sense you need a lot of the blood and guts to the point that you feel sick. In this one, it's almost like someone can synthesise it and problem over.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

I quitted after the 2nd episode of this half-season.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

I saw Hell or High Water on the weekend. I liked it, a lot: it is a very simple film on one level, but it brought a real weight to bear on the actors, who were all excellent. A heist/crime film, or a contemporary Western - has elements of both - but more than anything, a sort of portrait of a society in the process of disintegration.

Though it certainly offers a rather negative view of Texas.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

Rewatching Community. Great show.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Liep on September 19, 2016, 02:39:07 PM
Rewatching Community. Great show.

I've been binge watching this too. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on September 19, 2016, 07:03:23 AM

I wouldn't go that far, but it's fair to say that with the one exception you mentioned, it doesn't have pretensions to be more than what it is.  It draws in your attention, moves the action along, and for the most part doesn't get sidetracked.  Very nicely done.  And with a svelte 90 minute runtime that other action directors would be advised to take note of. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson