News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 28, 2016, 01:46:41 PM
Looking for some other brit procedural after watching River. Is Broadchurch good?
Line of Duty.
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2016, 01:54:44 PM
Looking for some other brit procedural after watching River. Is Broadchurch good?

Don't tell me you completely skipped The Fall and Happy Valley...

Broadchurch, The Fall, River, Happy Valley, Luther are all good.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on August 28, 2016, 02:57:51 PM

Damn, you guys are more aficionados of Brit tv than I am.  :hmm:

Only seen two of those.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Couldn't get into Luther for some reason. And I like Elba a lot.

Watched the first couple eps of Broadchurch and enjoyed it so far. Liking the "media are scum" angle.

Admiral Yi

Just watched Brooklyn.  Young Irish girl moves to the US in the 50s.

They were trying to make a sweet romantic movie about the pull of the old country on immigrants, but it gets botched when she goes back to visit Ireland and falls for a guy, just after she got married in the US.  Hard to empathize with her after that.

The blurb said it was nominated for three Oscars.  Wardrobe I could see (is there an Oscar for wardrobe?).

I was hoping based on the trailer I saw on TV not that long ago that they were going to do an Irish/Italian West Side Story.  That would have been better.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on August 28, 2016, 03:48:18 PM
Couldn't get into Luther for some reason. And I like Elba a lot.

Watched the first couple eps of Broadchurch and enjoyed it so far. Liking the "media are scum" angle.
Line of Duty :contract: :P

QuoteThey were trying to make a sweet romantic movie about the pull of the old country on immigrants, but it gets botched when she goes back to visit Ireland and falls for a guy, just after she got married in the US.  Hard to empathize with her after that.
How so?

I think they were trying to adopt Colm Toibin's book and did pretty well. A sweet romantic book is one he's never written yet :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 28, 2016, 03:58:11 PM

They were trying to make a sweet romantic movie about the pull of the old country on immigrants, but it gets botched when she goes back to visit Ireland and falls for a guy, just after she got married in the US.  Hard to empathize with her after that.

The blurb said it was nominated for three Oscars.  Wardrobe I could see (is there an Oscar for wardrobe?).

I was hoping based on the trailer I saw on TV not that long ago that they were going to do an Irish/Italian West Side Story.  That would have been better.

It was nominated to Best Picture, Best Actress and Best Adapted Screenplay.

Admiral Yi

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on August 28, 2016, 03:05:52 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 28, 2016, 02:57:51 PM

Damn, you guys are more aficionados of Brit tv than I am.  :hmm:

Only seen two of those.

It is much better. Better story line, writing, etc.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

I think Brit TV has got good in competition with or just because American TV upped its game so much. Though, perhaps parochially, I do prefer Brit short series :blush:

Yi: prude :P
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 28, 2016, 04:32:35 PM
I think Brit TV has got good in competition with or just because American TV upped its game so much. Though, perhaps parochially, I do prefer Brit short series :blush:

Yi: prude :P

I prefer the short length too. Much easier to hop on.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 28, 2016, 03:58:11 PM

Probably caught it at the same time as you today; only real walkaway was the wholly unexpected amount of Irish eye candy.  Other than that, 2 1/2 Mehs out of 5 Mehs. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 28, 2016, 04:44:50 PM
Probably caught it at the same time as you today; only real walkaway was the wholly unexpected amount of Irish eye candy.  Other than that, 2 1/2 Mehs out of 5 Mehs.

Best scenes were dinners at the boarding house.

Admiral Yi

Just saw some vag in The Danish Girl. :yeah:

Eddie Teach

Not Eddie redmayne's I hope?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?