News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Antman Quantamania- Its interesting that in this time of peak marvel, people criticising the bland special effects spectaculars, Marvel just doubles down. Is there anything actually real in this film?
Though honestly I got to say... it isn't that bad. Not the best Marvel film, but far from the worst. I enjoyed it more than Black Panther 2, Black Widow, or most other recent attempts.
I don't get what the Quantiverse is. Some kind of parallel dimension reached by shrinking below atomic size that is the same no matter which atom in which universe you shrink into?
I don't get MODOK. Just. What? What?
I really don't get Bill Murray's odd little cameo. Feels so wasted.
The way Marvel is handling its multiverse.... yeah. I get vibes it won't be good. Simultaneously infinite yet not infinite in a weird mix.
I get the feeling Rick and Morty may be ripping off comics but I can't but get council of Ricks vibes from the end credits stuff.
Anyway.
The film is OK.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on May 31, 2023, 06:14:44 AMAntman Quantamania- Its interesting that in this time of peak marvel, people criticising the bland special effects spectaculars, Marvel just doubles down. Is there anything actually real in this film?
Though honestly I got to say... it isn't that bad. Not the best Marvel film, but far from the worst. I enjoyed it more than Black Panther 2, Black Widow, or most other recent attempts.
I don't get what the Quantiverse is. Some kind of parallel dimension reached by shrinking below atomic size that is the same no matter which atom in which universe you shrink into?
I don't get MODOK. Just. What? What?
I really don't get Bill Murray's odd little cameo. Feels so wasted.
The way Marvel is handling its multiverse.... yeah. I get vibes it won't be good. Simultaneously infinite yet not infinite in a weird mix.
I get the feeling Rick and Morty may be ripping off comics but I can't but get council of Ricks vibes from the end credits stuff.
Anyway.
The film is OK.
Haven't seen BP2.  But BW was better than this.
The whole concept of a micro universe is stupid anyway.

And no, I don't think there was anything real in this movie.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Any non-spoiler reviews of Ted Lasso series final episode?

I'll finally get a chance to watch it tonight.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

I didn't hate antman 3, but it wasn't stellar.  You aren't wrong.  They aren't doing a great job of handling their recent fair, with the exception of Guardians 3.  the Christmas special was enjoyable.  

PDH!

Josquius

I'm slowly watching through Beef. It's quite good.
Though is it just me or have American Asians totally supplanted Jews for over representation in comedy? Seems to be loads lately.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2023, 11:37:18 AMAny non-spoiler reviews of Ted Lasso series final episode?

I'll finally get a chance to watch it tonight.

It is not as terrible as the rest of season 3 but it doesn't save it either.

Josquius

I'm up to episode 8 or so and honestly not getting the hate for
series 3.
There's been moments it drags for sure, but then this has always been so. Series 3 does this more with every episode being a long one but there's still plenty decent there.
It's dropped from a best thing ever to merely decent but it's still a fine show.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

I e given up half way through season 2 of Lasso. It's fundamentally crap with a few good bits. So many things better out there.

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on June 01, 2023, 04:55:33 PMI e given up half way through season 2 of Lasso. It's fundamentally crap with a few good bits. So many things better out there.

Wow - I've really enjoyed it.

I have read that it's way more popular in North America than it is in the UK, despite it being set there.

But also I am a sucker for a good, positive show.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Gups

It was the Christmas show that did it for me. A dreadful rehash of Love Actually. Annoying because there some good gag writing in there.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2023, 04:57:58 PMI have read that it's way more popular in North America than it is in the UK, despite it being set there.
Yeah there was a piece on this I read a while ago. It helped drive subscriptions to Apple TV but that's still a relatively small player. Apple are shady on subscription number but estimates are that they're on about 1.5-2 million homes in the UK which is about 10% of Netflix.

I know people who watch it and it definitely has a devoted fan base, so I think it does well but of a fairly small group.

To be honest apart from Ted Lasso I'm not even aware of any other shows on Apple :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 02, 2023, 04:18:23 AMTo be honest apart from Ted Lasso I'm not even aware of any other shows on Apple :hmm:

Severance, For All Mankind, Foundation. I still mean to watch For All Mankind which seems to be pretty good (space exploration in an alternate reality where USSR won the race to the Moon).

Foundation wasn't great (I'd say a 7/10 show?), but enjoyable enough, and good production design IMHO.

Still mean to watch Severance.

I watched the first episode of Hello Tomorrow! which is set in a retro-futuristic world stylistically quite similar to the Fallout universe. But based on that first episode it seems to be a drama series, though, that just happens to be set against the backdrop of salespeople trying to flog timeshares on the Moon which begs the question, "Why the setting then?"

Mythic Quest is ok, though Season 3 was not very good IMO.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2023, 04:57:58 PMI have read that it's way more popular in North America than it is in the UK, despite it being set there.

I don't really want to hold this against the show because it is clearly on purpose and is a big part of what drew me to it with Season 1, but it is a sugary syrup version of reality, UK included. And then of course the clueless American with a heart of gold comes here and teaches various Brits on how life is supposed to be lived right - I can kinda' see how that'd fly better in America than the UK.  :D

garbon

Quote from: Syt on June 02, 2023, 04:23:21 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 02, 2023, 04:18:23 AMTo be honest apart from Ted Lasso I'm not even aware of any other shows on Apple :hmm:

Severance, For All Mankind, Foundation. I still mean to watch For All Mankind which seems to be pretty good (space exploration in an alternate reality where USSR won the race to the Moon).

Foundation wasn't great (I'd say a 7/10 show?), but enjoyable enough, and good production design IMHO.

Still mean to watch Severance.

I watched the first episode of Hello Tomorrow! which is set in a retro-futuristic world stylistically quite similar to the Fallout universe. But based on that first episode it seems to be a drama series, though, that just happens to be set against the backdrop of salespeople trying to flog timeshares on the Moon which begs the question, "Why the setting then?"

Mythic Quest is ok, though Season 3 was not very good IMO.

I enjoyed but then lost track of The Morning Show.

I also enjoyed Physical and Bad Sisters. Oh and Dickinson.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Schmigadoon! is also alright in a hot mess of a way while The Afterparty and Loot were dreadful considering the casts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.