News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Agreed.  I watched the first two, and it was a slog to get through.

Duque de Bragança

Disagree.

I can't really get used to the CGI blood and gore though and the Nu Image glorified B-movie production values take some willing suspension of disbelief as well.

A good vilain is critical for that kind of movies as well (Van Damme was a bit disappointing but he couldn't be as hilarious as in Karate Tiger) though a tribute/cameo with Chuck Norris in the second one was nice, with some intended humour not falling totally flat à la Firewalker.  :P

Seagal could have used a cameo in those movies instead of his neverending crappy DTV "movies" but that would have entailed a diet I guess, and sharing the glory.

Josquius

I agree. They're dull. I don't know what they're even trying to do. They were promoted as awesome 80s flashback nostalgia pieces but are more just generic modern action movies with a cast of old guys.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

There is certainly a nostalgic factor indeed. As for awesome, it's (glorified) B-movie territory, something the '80s were famous for.

As for old guys or "geriatric action movies", one could think of the Wild Geese as well (the inventor of the genre yet '70s not '80s), probably yes, but that seems a bit harsh for people such as Gary Daniels (more video store action hero and thankfully better than this Fist of the North Star live adaptation), Scott Adkins, Jason Statham or even Jet Li.  :P

The PG-13 orientation for the last one instead of R-rating was not a good idea but then R-rated action movies are a rarity these days in cinemas.

Admiral Yi

Living.  Bill Nighy has six months to live.  A real tearjerker.

viper37

The Witcher season 3 trailer.

Doesn't look too bad.

The quality of special effects seems a tad lower than season 1 however.  Could be the effect of the trailer. It's hard to judge.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on June 10, 2023, 06:47:25 PM13 Films That Deserve a Spot on Your Do-Not-Watch List (Save Yourself the Torture)

I, uh, have seen some of those...  :lol:

:huh: I always thought that Manos, the Hands of Fate was just a made-up meme for "terrible movie."  I never knew that it was a real movie.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

It's Always Sunny in Philly's new season started well.

PDH!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on June 10, 2023, 08:06:03 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 10, 2023, 06:47:25 PM13 Films That Deserve a Spot on Your Do-Not-Watch List (Save Yourself the Torture)

:huh: I always thought that Manos, the Hands of Fate was just a made-up meme for "terrible movie."  I never knew that it was a real movie.
I have not seen this.

But I have seen:
  • Battlefield Earth
  • The Mummy (2017)
  • Suicide Squad (2016)
  • Gotti (2018)

And they were all awful movies.  I don't want to see Manos...

[/list]

Josquius

Honestly I quite liked Battlefield Earth in a so ridiculous its fun way.
Though that was an age with a total derth of Sci fi.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Calling it a real movie would be quite a stretch. :P
I saw it once. Padding from the very beginning (early footage lost AFAIK), and that's just starters. A couple of good weird ideas later on.
It got a blu-ray release, far from the standards of contemporary blockbusters but much better than the crappy 3rd or 4th generation VHS digitised transfers once available.

Darth Wagtaros

Battlefield Earth was made so seriously.
PDH!

Savonarola

Made by a fertilizer salesman.

(It's in the Psychotronic Guide to Film and was an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.  There are some MST3K movies (This Island Earth, Marooned) that are good enough to stand on their own and the robots are just a distraction; Manos the Hands of Fate is the only one that I've seen that is so bad that even the robots couldn't make it watchable.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

celedhring

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 11, 2023, 07:18:45 AMBattlefield Earth was made so seriously.

Battlefield Earth is hilarious. It's a great bad movie.